Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wipers Times

roughdiamond

I don't want to gratuitously correct Nigel S, but as you are interested in this phrase, it should be "cocking a snook."

Depends on the region. 'Snook', 'Snout' or 'Snoot' are all interchangeable.

Dave

Broomers

What earned me the Sid vicious tag? I consider myself the Leonard Cohen of the Forum. Old, sagacious, and unready to put the boot in or smash the strat.,

I switched over half way. Palin only good thing in it. Will watch "Peaky blinders" tonight however.

A thoroughly enjoyable production and certainly not disappointing. I live a few miles along the coast from Lord Dunleith's Estate where it was shot and felt quite sorry for the crew during the filming earlier this year as they came and went in their muddy vehicles. The weather was dreadful in March, freezing cold, never ceasing to rain with snow and ice thrown in for good measure, and it was surprising the trenches didn't flood.

The best bit of television I have seen in some time.

Anne

On the bright side, Anne. If muddy vehicles was the least of their worries ...

I agree with everything that has been said above (apart from KGB's post) a really well acted, well produced and well written programme.

regardsTom

p.s.Give that man £500,000 extra of the public's money....Ooooops! sorry, that's been done before..!!

I find this whole appreciation of the general quality of the television programme rather disappointing and frankly unbecoming of the forum membership.

I suggest that we all watch it again on iplayer, freezing each frame, until we can spot an incorrect shoulder title or button, or possibly the wrong type of moustache or mud.

IPT

PS - Well done, KGB.

Well, I've already complained about the uniforms being too clean upthread (that one's just for you Steven :)) and I said about the 'true story' bit in the titles.

Could there be anything else to complain about?

Excuse me chaps: I recorded itfor watching at the weekend (finished after my bedtime), so don't spoil it for my by telling me who won.

Snap!

Britain beat the Russians in the Crimea and in WW1, someone wrote about it :wacko:

It were great tho', proper champion. Real like wot hovis used to be.

• Admin

I watched it this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed it although the ending was ruined for me by my husband deciding to phone his Dad in an adjacent room and yelling down the phone at him! I must watch again when there are no distractions.

Michelle

I do not wish to be a contrarian it just did not "work" for me (save Palin). Watched half of Millican's WDYTYA? on BBC1. As I said will check out "Peaky blinders" tonight.

As I said will check out "Peaky blinders" tonight.

That`s twice you`ve mentioned it, are you the programmes advertising agent ? :)

As for 'Wipers', it lived up to my expectations, thoroughly enjoyable and very moving at times. I thought it caught the 'black humour' very well, and the actors were well cast.

I've already said that I thought it was brilliant, but I thought I'd add an extra appreciation for the two main actors, who were both excellent.

I do not wish to be a contrarian it just did not "work" for me (save Palin). Watched half of Millican's WDYTYA? on BBC1. As I said will check out "Peaky blinders" tonight.

How much are you being paid to keep mentioning peaky thingy? :)

Sigh. I only mentioned "P**k* B*****rs" as it reminds me of my paternal Grandfathers demob experience.

Didn't 'do it' for me I'm afraid...... :unsure: I would much rather have had a proper documentary with Mr Hislop at the helm....All those music hall staged shots ruined it for me...

Each to their own though eh!?

We watched the Sarah Millican thing and then the last half hour of "Wipers Times" just in case it was train wreck TV. I loved what I saw and will watch it in full as soon as I can. I hadn't realised what a good actor Ben Chaplin can be and Julian Rhind-Tutt was spot on. I wonder if the music hall scenes were a not towards "Oh What A Lovely War". And Michael Palin is and always will be top, with or without a parrot.

Pete.

P.S. I wonder if there is anywhere else on the electrical interweb where can you find Sid Vicious and Leonard Cohen in the same post?

Very good indeed - enjoyed it greatly.

Ant

I am sure they weren't but I wondered if the Music Hall scenes were filmed in the reinstated Music Hall at Talbot House. The performances were very reminiscent of the film of music hall acts which can be viewed there. I thought them a novel and excellent way of portraying some of the contents of the journals. They were certainly "of their time".

You're not alone. We're so used to seeing great ideas poorly executed that it came as a surprise to find a flawless execution of what seemed a really weak script.

Actors - brilliant

Production Design - brilliant

Lighting and cinematography - brilliant

Direction - brilliant (the Music Hall scenes were very well done)

but....the script was just a bit rubbish IMHO. All the characters were 2-dimensional and a bit too cliched

Smartarse public school subaltern - check

Bluff NCO with regional accent - check

Dim but endearing young lad - check

Spluttering Colonel Blimp - check

I felt that lots of lines had been written simply for the pun/gag at the end, which is what Hislop is very good at doing but it seemed somewhat over-egged. I half expected to hear ba-dum / tshhh at the end of some of them

Hislop is a man of many talents, but screenwriting just ain't one of them.