Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wipers Times

roughdiamond

If anything what the programme demonstrated is what a great sense of Humor the British have in the most adverse of circumstances.

Great Television - we need more! :thumbsup:

watched this on Sunday was very good really really enjoyed it British humour at it's best.

Major General Bertram Reveley Mitford was born 1863 and served with the Buffs & East Surreys. He distinguished himself in the Sudan & S.Africa .He retired in 1910 as a Brigadier General, but returned to command 72 Brigade 24th Division in 1914.He led this unit at Loos and the Somme. He was promoted to command 42nd Division in spring 1917,but was not a success with them, being replaced after six months.The divisional history implies men saw him as a driver rather than a leader. He died in 1936.His diaries are at N.A.M.

I have just got around to watching this, and I have to say that it is ages since I watched something so enjoyable. All sorts of little uniform and other details looked well thought-out, and I'm sure were correct. I greatly appreciated the lack of visual - cliches: as they went over-the-top they were not all instantly mown down by machine-gun fire, we didn't see dozens of young lads being executed for cowardice etc. etc.

The humour of the war, amidst the pain and sheer squalidness, shone through the programme, and I particularly appreciated the depiction of the emptiness at the end of the war - the armistice brought as much perplexity as celebration, and I remember my grandfather telling me about the difficulties ex-soldiers had in getting civilian jobs, and how talking about the war was regarded as tasteless.

So..... a truly wonderful programme.

[i have just read the early part of this thread, and for some reason which is beyond me, find that it is necessary for me to declare that I am a bearded ex public-schoolboy :whistle: ]

William

I'm not sure what you mean - I think the BBC suspected it to be one sort, they couldn't get a working example of that type, they took the next best thing, and the person supplying it made sure they changed the script to reflect that alteration...

What I'm after is verification that the machine used to print the Wipers Times was an 'Arab'. You've actually answered my question by saying that in your opinion it wasn't. It was probably the next best thing. So nobody really knew what machine was used. Thanks again for your input.

• 7 months later...

Have just been given a link to watch this on the computer - it had me totally engrossed from the start to end. Had spent the day, while unwell, trying to plot our route later in the year round the Somme cemeteries we want to visit, and watching this last night left me wondering yet again the miracle of how anyone managed to return to live another life. Thank God for humour and comradeship!

Cheers

Shirley

Would you care to share the link?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I notice that WH Smith are selling it as one of their 'DVD with accompanying magazine' series for £9-99. I don't know how good the written material is. Presumably the DVD of the programme can now be purchased on its own.