Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wipers Times

roughdiamond

It's on next Wednesday at 9.00 p.m. (that's the 11th), on BBC2. There's a puff about it in the Radio Times for next week and it is apparent that Messrs Hislop and Newman have produced (or at least attempted - next week will show) to produce something affectionate and truthful.

I'm actually rather looking forward to it, but then as a subscriber to Private Eye I would, wouldn't I?

That would be novel :glare:

Stop it.

I too have read through the collection a number of times, and find it amusing. It does rather remind one of school magazines of fifty years ago. But then, when I was at school WW1 had only ended 35 years before and the dramatic cultural changes of the '60s had not yet happened or were underway. I suspect the humour will seem very dated to a modern generation. We shall see.

I have some items that belonged to Sgt George Turner the printer of the Wipers Times who Capt Roberts mentions but does not name.

Thanks for that, very interesting, I wonder do any artifacts connected with the printing of the Wipers Time survive?.

Norman

Good Evening All.

I know this is probably the wrong site for this, but there is a program Doc/Drama on TV next week about the Wipers Times.

Regards Andy.

I believe the book is about to be re re-published by Anova Press (or Maritime Press which they also own. I think it must have been reprinted about three or four times in recent years. It must be said that much of the humour doesn't translate as well as it once must have to those in the trenches. The Impetus seems to be a new BBC television series based on/around the publication.

Sadly no sign of any of Gilbert Frankau's books (he was closely involved in the WT) being republished, Peter Jackson Cigar Merchant remains one of my favourite Great War novels - and one of the few about the artillery.

I read the Wipers Times about 2 years ago having borrowed it from my local library.

I found it to be very public school in its humour, Python-like even.

Its worth a read and I must say that I am looking forward to this Wednesday's programme.

Maxi

yes, it was in the wrong place. I have moved it to the culture pages and merged it with the existing topic.

Keith Roberts

Will watch this one. Press release photo had troops under fire without helmets (!) I want to enjoy the show not murmur "That button is wrong regt". Howlers will be jumped on.

Just seen a piece on the One show about the programme, with a little snippet of footage. As Hislop was involved then I`d wager it`ll be very good. It`s on BBC2 tomorrow at 9pm,

Must say I have often wondered about that. "Wipers Times" is funny but it seems to me to have been a rather public school / grammar school / cliquey type of humour. Is there any evidence that the ordinary Tommy actually got to see it? What did he think of it?

I have a copy of the first Wipers Times (Vol. 1 No. 1), four New Church Times and a BEF Times. All are named in pencil down the side to an RFA driver, attached ASC MT. They were in a suitcase I acquired with his (similarly named) tunic, cap, 03 bandolier, painted Brodie and other ephemera.

So yes: although what he made of it, one cannot say. That said, this bloke didn't make it into theatre until after the publication dates - so would have picked them up second-hand himself.

WT1001_zpscabe326b.jpg

WT4001_zps14f26204.jpg

WT5001_zps971b00d1.jpg

Cheers,

GT.

Peaky Blinders tomorrow (1919 and demob) going to be a few nights by the telly.

Ian Hislop was interviewed about the "Wiper Times" with a background story and an exert from the programme, looks good

Excellent. I watched it with my wife and even she thought it was good! The first time she has ever found something about WW1 enjoyable and worth watching. As someone said it has set a benchmark for the inevitable flood of programmes over the next few years.

Agree, 10/10 from me.

David