Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Tommy Cafe Pozières

Ghazala

About "Le Tommy", you like it or not, but this is one of the few places where you can get food at anytime... when it's open.

:w00t:

... I'm always amazed at how little the French and Belgians try to make money out of battlefields 'tourists'. If the Western Front was in the UK, there would be ice-cream and burger vans outside every cemetery.

Keith

I wish you hadn't said that - I really do :glare:

(Some div might read it and actually go out and try it - who remembers the pizza stall that was set up for a while beside the perimeter fence at the Newfoundland Memorial Park ?).

Tom

Is that a bad thing? If it's outside the boundary fence how does it affect what's inside, and if visitors require refreshment, why not?

Hi,

I once read in a book ( can't remember the title ) that Thiepval was very popular with Parisians pre 1914, it had cafes bakeries etc for the tourists but has never been rebuilt to its previous extent.........anybody have any more info on they............... I think Le Tommy is great..... Colin

Two explainations I think:

First, you can't consider the Somme battlefields as a major touristic area in France in comparaison to other places. Despite the estimation of visitors is about 250.000 per year in the Somme, mostly anglo-saxon, and very few french. In France the Somme is very little known (in terms of touristic destination) and most of the French are probably not aware of the significance of the Somme battlefields for the British today.

I hear sometimes people complaining about the lack of places to get food or drinks in the Somme at anytime. But as you know we don't have the culture of snacking in France, we have our meals (lunch and dinner) at fixed hours so most of the restaurants are only open from 12 to 2pm for lunch and from 7pm to 10pm for dinner.

About "Le Tommy", you like it or not, but this is one of the few places where you can get food at anytime... when it's open.

Sly

Is that a bad thing? If it's outside the boundary fence how does it affect what's inside, and if visitors require refreshment, why not?

Steve, my thoughts when I composed my post. There have been many occasions during my prowls round the Western Front when a cup of coffee or an ice cream would have really hit the spot. As long as the vendor provides facilities for the disposal of litter.

Keith

Long may Dominique offer us refreshments and relics. 'Le Tommy' is, after all, one of the few places on the Somme battlefield where one can get a drink or a snack. And the museum is an added bonus.

I'm always amazed at how little the French and Belgians try to make money out of battlefields 'tourists'. If the Western Front was in the UK, there would be ice-cream and burger vans outside every cemetery.

Keith

There is a place in La Boiselle, just as you turn out of the village to visit lochnager crater. No frills, but more than satisfactory for the likes of us lot on here.

Good selection of British & continental food & drink, run by a young English couple who deserve credit for having a go, and plenty of smaller relics to see/buy.

The visual impact of such things, up against a memorial or especially against the perimeter or entrance to a CWGC cemetery, bothers me. I find such things to be intrusive at best, disrespectful, and sometimes offensive. Just my opinion of course.

I hate to have to say this, but I am certainly not a fan of the scene at the 2nd Australian Division Memorial at Pozieres, for example.

post-108-0-94916700-1378674320_thumb.jpg

Tom

Not at all Tom!

You have it very right.

I also do not not want to see an EAT AT JOES CAFFE. At, or near a Cemetery or Memorial.

I was at Lochnagar Crater a couple of weeks ago and there was a burger van type thing in the car park, selling drinks, ice creams (and of course burgers) along with WW1 'memorabilia' like small bags of metal remnants for 5 euro and even a rusted UK helmet for 50 euro. I had a welcome can of fanta and left it at that!

I was at Lochnagar Crater a couple of weeks ago and there was a burger van type thing in the car park, selling drinks, ice creams (and of course burgers) along with WW1 'memorabilia' like small bags of metal remnants for 5 euro and even a rusted UK helmet for 50 euro. I had a welcome can of fanta and left it at that!

Are yes? So it was?

Thanks for posting

That would probably be Tony Strippoli. Famous relic seller! He's had a van there for a few years now. John

No doubt Tony is back out there full time with his shovel !

John

I think the Tommy Café is the ants pants. I wish there were more cafes like this all around the place, for if there were none it would be a lonelier trip of remembrance. Long live Dominique.

That would probably be Tony Strippoli. Famous relic seller! He's had a van there for a few years now. John

The famous yellow van.. He is there just on Wednesdays now..

Some more pictures from the new museum set up by Dominique.

Waouw !! That's the ideal playground for my little 50mm ....

M.

Waouw !! That's the ideal playground for my little 50mm ....

M.

I'm pleased to notice you are a female member....

Well after reading every post on Le Tommy,on my first ever visit to the Somme during the Xmas period i will be popping in and sampling his ham,egg and chips.Dom seems to be providing a service and as for people complaining about his prices,i'm sure you could have looked a menu before you bought.Has the english run cafe in La Boiselle a name.

Well after reading every post on Le Tommy,on my first ever visit to the Somme during the Xmas period i will be popping in and sampling his ham,egg and chips.Dom seems to be providing a service and as for people complaining about his prices,i'm sure you could have looked a menu before you bought.Has the english run cafe in La Boiselle a name.

Or his sausage egg and chips - or his cracking omelette and chips - ham and cheese, mushroom, whatever you want.

La Boiselle - Blighty Tea Rooms - Jon and Alison Haslock - well worth a visit.

Tom

nb - if you are going "over Christmas" you should check opening times in advance.

Or his sausage egg and chips - or his cracking omelette and chips - ham and cheese, mushroom, whatever you want.

La Boiselle - Blighty Tea Rooms - Jon and Alison Haslock - well worth a visit.

Tom

nb - if you are going "over Christmas" you should check opening times in advance.

I've never had any joy with the Blighty Tea Rooms - stonking great advert just near the turn off to Lochnegar, but every time I try to stop there they seem to be shut.

Damien

I've never had any joy with the Blighty Tea Rooms - stonking great advert just near the turn off to Lochnegar, but every time I try to stop there they seem to be shut.

Damien

I'm surprised to hear that. You'd be pushed to find a couple more conscientious and reliable than Jon and Alison, - who run a very pleasant establishment.

Could you be more specific ?

Tom

I'm surprised to hear that. You'd be pushed to find a couple more conscientious and reliable than Jon and Alison, - who run a very pleasant establishment.

Could you be more specific ?

Tom

Perhaps I'm being slightly unfair - no slur was intended! I've popped in there maybe 3 times in the last year, and each time been unlucky. I note that they're not open on Wednesdays, which may account for it. I can't be more specific I'm afraid!

I've been told the visitors centre at the Thiepval memorial will be closed whilst i'm there.I;ll check the opening times.Thanks for the name of the english run cafe.I would think they might be closed for the festive season also.As for take-away vans near sites,if they're right on the doorstep i would have a problem but a 100 yards or so then that would be acceptable,just.

Jon and Alison are lovely people. They do a great job with the Blighty Tea rooms. Always on my list for a visit. If I have lunch at Le Tommy I normally have either morning coffee or afternoon tea at The Blighty.

John