Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Tommy Cafe Pozières

Ghazala

Dom dug them with help from some of his friends including his well known Tony from Albert. He also used his collection ti put in the trenches.

Tony

And what a collection Tony!

3410871511_36bf0301d1_z.jpg

4411180417_f477540dd1_z.jpg

Norman

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Before Dominique took over it was much smaller and used to be called the Burma Star (see here) - wasn't run by the Zanardi family by the way - nothing to do with Doninique's mum.

Wasn't The Burma Star further up on the other side of the road, at the Coucellete corner? Seem to remember it being closed in about 1985-90?

Peter

Peter - what is now Le Tommy was The Burma Star - I was a patron pre Dominique days (hopefully my mind cannot have wandered that far !). If you scroll down the Flikr link I gave earlier you will see photos of the then owners. There are some stories there - especially Madame's distain of milk in coffee. She had a way of expressing that which was ... interesting. The omelettes in those days were legendary - as others with long memories will recall :whistle:

Dominique constructed the trenches and has been responsible for expanding the cafe; to its current size - about four times as big as when it was the BS.

Tom

Here is my photograph of M and Madame Brihier in the “Burma Star” Café, I understand M Brihier lost his hand in an industrial accident.

2423200574_e226872001_z.jpg

Norman

Tom, happy to accept the correction. In that case.....who knows what was the name of the cafe bar on the Courcellete corner? It was empty in the early/mid 80s, seem to recall it reopened some time later: just checked on googlemap and it looks like a private house now. Le Ballon?

Peter

As in all things, caveat emptor or 'you pays your money you makes your choice'. Personally, I hate Leffe.

Cheers,

Simon

It's a handy place. The grub is usually dependable and service reasonably quick. Last time I was there, the Gents had no water with which to wash your hands. There's a PhD in tracking the health of visitors over the next few days!

Personally, I hate Leffe.

Can't say I hate it but I certainly can't understand all the fuss. There are several hundred better beers in Belgium! Admittedly not so many in France, although there are a few . Ch'ti Ambree for me if it is available.

I remember Madame Brihier's cassolette rognon de veau, on my first visit to the Somme.

• Admin

I went in there last year and was served an omelette that I could have soled my shoe with and greasy chips. I didn't care for it. If I am ever on the Somme these days (usually one day out of about 15 spent visiting the battlefields each year) I will go to that splendid little shop on the main road at La Boisselle where I buy a picnic and take it somewhere quiet.

Michelle

Michelle , what do they sell in this shop, often seen it but never stopped yet!

Tony

I can't bear the place and that obviously makes me the sort of person you wouldn't want to see in there anyway, so you won't. It's ok for coffee or a cold drink if you're desperate for a toilet, but the food is lazy. I also dislike the theme park at the back.

Last time I was in there the owner was clearing up after a party of British males who had created a mess on the tables and taken some ashtrays as souvenirs. He needed someone to grumble to and we happened to be in there. If you don't speak French you wouldn't have realised he might have been talking about you.

Gwyn

Having an interest in the Gloucestershire Regiment I was delighted when Dom produced this artifact and allowed me to take it into the garden in order that I could take a photograph. This is an original WW1 container for rations belonging to the Officers of "B" Company, 4th Battalion of the Gloucestershire regiment (Dated 1915).

2054495199_58a5c47b96_z.jpg

Norman

• Admin

Michelle , what do they sell in this shop, often seen it but never stopped yet!

Tony

Tony

They sell bread,butter, fruit, tomatoes, cheese, a bit of booze, soft drinks, tinned goods, eggs, biscuits and the like. Madame is very friendly.

Michelle

Nice collection but what a shame to let it decay outside

Went there twice in March. Had to go a second time as it was shut the first!

I liked the "Theme Park" out back but couldn't help lamenting how it was all decaying.

I must admit I was put off eating there by the menu and the "ambiance"

• 3 weeks later...

Just come back from Pozieres again can't imagin the place with out Le Tommy inspite of Dominique-s idiosyncrasies. One has to mavel re the passion of the man, how many times have you been the last in the bar when Dominique insists on joining in the conversation. The man's knowledge is amazing. All part of the Somme experience.

Tony

With you tony on that!

tony

Dominique is the little one..

post-100478-0-75157100-1376226490_thumb.

Alright I cannot stand the suspense any longer here they are the right way up!!!.if anyone has got recent images of the display at the back of the cafe it would be good to see some.

post-21884-0-85699300-1376291298_thumb.j

Norman

Alright I cannot stand the suspense any longer here they are the right way up!!!.if anyone has got recent images of the display at the back of the cafe it would be good to see some.

Norman

I was not aware they were upside down! On my viewing of the wbsite they are the right way up. Thanks Seadog.

Norman

I have unsuccessfully tried to put up some pics of the display but get a message saying they are too big. How do I reduce them whereby they will fit on this post?

I have unsuccessfully tried to put up some pics of the display but get a message saying they are too big. How do I reduce them whereby they will fit on this post?

Try this site - its very simple and you don't need to install anything. http://www.resize2mail.com/. If you want something more sophisticated there are heaps of threads on this subject (resizing) with a multiplicity of advice of all varieties of appropriateness. A search on resizing should turn up some of them.