Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Tommy Cafe Pozières

Ghazala

Tim, and to think I have followed your foot steps in the past! :(

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

A group of six of us called in Le Tommy last summer , we must have looked a bit dodgy as Dom sent two minders to follow us round the trenches . Once he realised that we were ok he made us very welcome and showed us the football and newspaper articles which accompany it . We spent over an hour in there and were made very welcome . Hopefully going to the Somme in May and will definitely be going to Le Tommy

To be fair to Dom he has had stuff stolen from the trench including a Lewis gun valued at 2000!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh no someone mentioned the football, my ribs can't take anymore laughter!

Oh no someone mentioned the football, my ribs can't take anymore laughter!

But 'someone' might not enjoy and possess the experience and knowledge of yourself, so maybe a point in the right direction might be better than a jokey-comment at the expense of a relatively new member of the GWF?

My memory of Tommys was looking round the museum with Eric Bogle singing "And the band played Waltzing Matilda" playing in the background, my god that brought a tear to the eye.

• 3 weeks later...

... My friends and I stopped going to the Western Front Association meetings because it was frequented by smart arses who looked down their noses at people who did not have as much knowledge or experience as them . ...

Harveyfletch,

Your post has been edited to remove a personal attack on another member

Edited by Kate Wills

There have been quite a few words written on the Forum about the discovery of one of the footballs dribbled across No Mans Land, and then discovered by Dom many years later. Some have taken th view that the discovery of a leather football on a dump over eighty years later being one of those missing since 1916 is tantamount to believing in fairies. What is undeniable, however is that the proprietor of Tommys is a colourful local character.

Bruce

Dom is always friendly and when open is always worth calling in to see him and what his latest finds are.

tony

Have had 2 short trips to the Somme this summer.......and developed a futile mid-evening routine to see if I could get dinner and a beer there. Disappointed on 5 out of 5 attempts....all at approx 8-9pm, so obviously a little too late in the day. Perhaps he's decided there isn't enough custom in the evenings.

Finally found him open for a late lunch last week at 3.00pm, where Dom completely compensated for the earlier disappointments by being the mine of information that he is, shedding light on a dig I'd come across a few weeks ago, exposing the partial remains of an Australian soldier.

Frustrating though it can be to catch him open, you can't fault his genuine passion for the subject we all love.

David

I like the place, at least it's not overtly (star-buick) commercial as so many places are.

Wouldn't want it to disappear, that's for sure.

Edited by markus

.... at least it's not overtly (star-buick) commercial as so many places are.

Indeed .... a business that is so often closed could hardly be called 'overtly commercial' ...

Sat in the back of Tommies right now,using the free wifi been here a week, asked Dom when he was open, "every day except Monday", it has been great for free Wifi, somewhere dry to eat a sandwich if we weren't buying a meal, and a friendly welcome.

Can't knock it,

The simple answer for the people wanting a UK/USA style 7 days out of 7 service? Go and get yourselves ripped off at McDonalds!

By local standards, Tommies is open more than most and more tolerant of pic nic etc than most

Tommies has been a regular visiting spot in the last 9 years of Summer trips out here, and will continue to be.

Respect to Dom.

Sat in the back of Tommies right now,using the free wifi been here a week, asked Dom when he was open, "every day except Monday", it has been great for free Wifi, somewhere dry to eat a sandwich if we weren't buying a meal, and a friendly welcome.

Can't knock it,

The simple answer for the people wanting a UK/USA style 7 days out of 7 service? Go and get yourselves ripped off at McDonalds!

By local standards, Tommies is open more than most and more tolerant of pic nic etc than most

Tommies has been a regular visiting spot in the last 9 years of Summer trips out here, and will continue to be.

Respect to Dom.

Eeerrrr!

Have now visited the area twice in last 18 months, both for 3 days duration. On both occasions have TRIED to visit each day [at different times of day/evening], as I have heard so much that I wanted to form my own opinion. Consistently CLOSED.

So, sorry, unable to speak in his favour as always been denied the experience.

[will try again in October, but not holding my breath]

M-B

• 8 months later...

Shut today when trying for breakfast. The Poppy closed as well. Fortunately the Ulster Tower came to the rescue with ham and cheese sandwiches plus another couple for our walk from Ovillers to Thiepval via Skyline Trench and Swaben Redoubt and a few trenchlines as well.

Bernard

We got an early cup of coffee last october, and Dom looked up the pages in a book of one of my lads at Pozieres and photocopied the information for me.

It seemed such a fitting farewell to leave the Somme, to head up to Normandy.

Cheers

Shirley

Isn't there a poem or somesuch verse about "Normally, we open at 8, but sometimes it's at 9 ... and sometimes at 10 .." and so on.

I've looked for it, but I don't know what it's called .. can anyone help, please?

By the way, I first met Dom over thirty years ago when he was located in Longueval.

Although not being the most reliable chap regarding his opening hours he's a very colourful and friendly character.

I like the “Back in 10 minutes” sign a common sight in the UK which confuses the customers as they have no idea when the 10 mins start. I once left this sign up and wondered why there were no customers; mind you it made for a peaceful day! My friend a booksellers sign says open at 10 which he has no intention of doing as he always arrives at11.

Norman