Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Tommy Cafe Pozières

Ghazala

I have read a few criticisms of Le Tommy this week. If you are going there do not expect too much in the way of good cuisine. Steak and eggs with his own brand of chips are a basic fayre. Dominique Zarnardi is his own man and he opens and closes the bar on a whim. It is, however, a great place for pals to meet after a hot days touring and share their experiences over a cold beer. The museum at the rear is very interesting with a vast amount of ordnance. Sometimes, on a Saturday evening, you will find live music, I was once privileged to be present when a touring Royal Marine Band was playing there. Unsurprisingly the place is a magnet for Aussies and many is the time I have sat amongst them quaffing lage amounts of beer with tears in my eyes listening to the history of a great grandfather or uncle. Don't knock it. There are not many places like this over the Somme area where we can meet up.

post-100478-0-06630300-1374653863_thumb.

My sentiments exactly Ghazala.

To my mind 'Le Tommy' is the authentic aspect of the area as lived and worked in by the locals, and without in any way wishing to detract or criticize other places I find it preferable to such as Thiepval visitor centre, or indeed the museums at Albert or Peronne, admirable places though they may be; in Le Tommy, 'you are there'.

I went into Le Tommy on my first visit to the area in 1992, when of course it was a much more modest place than now, run, I believe - open to correction - by Dominique's mother, who was famous for her crepes.

Over the years, it has been the place to head for after a hot, or cold and wet, day cycling around the area. I think I have only once been disappointed and found it closed; then, it was a quick (modestly!) sprint back to base in Albert, downhill all the way.

Sadly I have not been able to visit for a couple of years, due to vertigo finishing my cycling days, but I would like to send Dominique my best wishes, and long may Le Tommy flourish.

I will watch this thread with interest !

John

I actually quite like the ham, eggs and chips at Tommys, especially when enjoyed with a cold Leffe after a day wandering the battlefields!

I must admit I scratched my head a bit when I read a few recent critical comments about Le Tommy, I ate there a couple of times last year (because my favourite lunch spot Le Poppy seems to close for a couple of days at the weekend) and found it to be clean, fairly cheap & cheerful with friendly and efficient local staff. Yes, the menu is a bit limited (chips with everything) and there's little likelihood of Michelin stars but I echo the sentiment that Le Tommy is a central and welcoming waterhole and eatery in a part of the world not exactly teeming with decent places to grab a bite or just to have a beer and relax your weary feet.

I agree I found the staff at Le Tommys very welcoming. We are also a family of five so it can get expensive

eating out, however we found Le Tommy very reasonably priced.

Regards

Jane

Went in there last September, service awful - place was empty but no hurry to serve you. I've heard views from some Somme locals which are not complimentary. The 'Tommy' in that awful sign is a grotesgue insult.

I have to say, in its defence, I enjoyed the company there many a rainy cold night and, quite frankly, after several large drinks, I become really charming and the place becomes awesome.......

Had some fantastic nights in there mostly in the good old days but still like to call in for a beer and a bite to eat but avoid the French Onion soup!!

Tony

The 'Tommy' in that awful sign is a grotesgue insult.

It looks to me like it was copied from a contemporary postcard, possibly by Donald McGill or Lawson Wood, so I wouldn't necessarily blame Le Tommy for that!

James

It looks to me like it was copied from a contemporary postcard, possibly by Donald McGill or Lawson Wood, so I wouldn't necessarily blame Le Tommy for that!

James

I don't think so (was Mc Gill contemporary?) but in any case they chose to copy and plaster it all over the place.

Guest exuser1

I first visited the bar back in 1982 when it was the real deal just a ordinary French road house in a very extraordinary place , over the years it's moved on as all things do ,I note how its changed from a Welsh theme through to the Aussie theme not to every ones taste and I much preferred it back in the day ,but time moves on and the food is not bad and reasonably priced and a great location .

I even stayed there back in 1994 cheap and cheerful but superb .

Went in there last September, service awful - place was empty but no hurry to serve you.

Sound more like England than France, is he picking up bad habits from his cross channel customers ? :)

I`ve been there a few times, mainly for a coffee and a sit down midday. I`ve found it suits my needs, only complaint was the lights weren`t working in the toilets once and it was pitch black in there, which could`ve led to an embarrassing moment.

There`s also a small bar in Mailly Maillet which I`m fond of, which could be a 1970`s Brit pub from it`s interior decor.

I don't think so (was Mc Gill contemporary?)

Very much contemporary (example below), but am not suggesting it was the best image to use...!

James

post-2897-0-39908600-1374697723_thumb.jp

Before Dominique took over it was much smaller and used to be called the Burma Star (see here) - wasn't run by the Zanardi family by the way - nothing to do with Doninique's mum.

As "Kirky" (Tony) hints, it doesn't now have quite the buzz that it had back in the day - I can remember letting myself out and locking the door at stupid o'clock after Dom had gone to the land of nod ! There have been some monumental ****-ups in that place, often after the outside lights had been switched off and it was "friends only".

Le Tommy isn't short of detractors and it has to be admitted that Dominique's unique approach to opening hours can be irritating. He is however very sincere in his regard for the British and Dominion soldiers of WW1. He is also a mine of information - a very deep and very wide-ranging mine.

Most of the people who declare that they would never set foot in the place are the kind of people you wouldn't want to see there anyway. You will know who I mean :ph34r:

By the way Tony - 10/10 for a post which doesn't rename Le Tommy as Tommeries, Tommerons, Tommies or the like. 10/10 :lol:

Tom

There`s also a small bar in Mailly Maillet which I`m fond of, which could be a 1970`s Brit pub from it`s interior decor.

Sounds classy.

Went there last September and Dominique couldn't do enough for us, once he learned that we were Australian and that my wife's great great uncle is still in a field near to the Pozieres town cemetery. He brought out a French translation of Bean's history, found Robert Bond Middleton's name on the 23rd battalion AIF nominal roll and marked that fact that a member of the family had visited. There were a lot of dots as he has been quietly gathering this data for some time.

Sounds classy.

It`s a classic bar/tabac which turn up in just about every French town or village, although of course you don`t get the constant haze of Gauloises smoke anymore when enjoying a beer :)

"By the way Tony - 10/10 for a post which doesn't rename Le Tommy as Tommeries, Tommerons, Tommies or the like. 10/10 :lol: "

Tom you educated me well last year!

Tony :hypocrite:

My personal experience with Dominique during the last 16 years is that he has been friendly, helpful, generous, and interesting. He has been a wealth of knowledge about the battlefield that he has shared with me without hesitation. Le Tommy is not intended to be a fancy restaurant, but a very convenient place to meet and enjoy a cold beer and (for me) a quite acceptable and reasonably-priced meal.

Finally, I should point out that Dominique has done a great deal to preserve the history of the Somme battlefields and to recover bodies still being found. In my opinion, he is not given proper credit for his role in preserving the area's fascinating history.

Torrey McLean

Torrey,

I could not have said your words better! 100% agree!

PS hope you are well

TT

Thanks for that info on post 15 Tom, ref. Dominique's mum.

I had just assumed, quite erroneously obviously, that Dominique was carrying on the family business. Just to clarify any misunderstandings I have, who did construct the trenches out at the back originally ?

John

Dom dug them with help from some of his friends including his well known Tony from Albert. He also used his collection ti put in the trenches.

Tony

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Before Dominique took over it was much smaller and used to be called the Burma Star (see here) - wasn't run by the Zanardi family by the way - nothing to do with Doninique's mum.

Wasn't The Burma Star further up on the other side of the road, at the Coucellete corner? Seem to remember it being closed in about 1985-90?

Peter

Thanks for that info on post 15 Tom, ref. Dominique's mum.

I had just assumed, quite erroneously obviously, that Dominique was carrying on the family business. Just to clarify any misunderstandings I have, who did construct the trenches out at the back originally ?

John

I was told by locals that it was the current owner with a mechanical digger