Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Tommy Cafe Pozières

Ghazala

Looking forward to a cold one in Le Tommy next week, Monday to Saturday around 5 pm. Please come and join me if you are around. My good pal from Dublin will be with me.

I was there the weekend before last, didn't eat as they were not serving hot food at the time. I've been over with the kids and have eaten there before and have no complaints.

Disappointing to relate that I've stayed at what seems to be quite a popular place (from many accounts, mentioned in this thread) and found the owner quite rude. Each to their own, though, it's part of the experience and we all have a choice where we eat.

I'm very sorry to hear about the closure of three other British-owned businesses due to reduced numbers of visitors this year - which ones were they, please?

• Admin

As you say Deerhunter, each to their own, but wild horses wouldn't drag me to the place you mention, I am extremely allergic to cats so would probably last about 5 minutes there!

Michelle

The last time I wen't to Le Tommy I was charged an outrageous price for some 'take away' drinks. Wine for the adults and pop for the kids which both were in much need of! Having a nice collection and a good knowledge does not give one the right to s**** the public! I wonder what his response is if we ask him who liberated his village?

Chris

I'd be interested to hear which British owned businesses have closed this year due to reduced numbers of visitors aswell. I work on the battlefields are not aware of any.

I too am, as a regular visitor, puzzled by that remark. In fact for my visit next month one popular B&B I enquired about was fully booked.

The last time I wen't to Le Tommy I was charged an outrageous price for some 'take away' drinks. Wine for the adults and pop for the kids which both were in much need of! Having a nice collection and a good knowledge does not give one the right to s**** the public! I wonder what his response is if we ask him who liberated his village?

Chris

Why were you buying take-away items in a French café - premises subject to the full weight of the French tax regime for eateries ? You buy take-away items such as food and drink in supermarkets, not restaurants. Would you do this in the UK ?

Ask Dominique if you can see his last invoice from his drinks supplier, - I'm not joking - he's shown me several over the years, and, just the same as a landlord in the UK - if he tried to go anywhere near supermarket off-sales prices he'd be bankrupt before he could whistle Dandy.

And, by-the-way; if you asked Dominique who liberated his village he would give you chapter & verse. Given time he'd probably get photos and books out, and he would take time to enquire as to your interests and help you if he could. Would you get that from a supermarket checkout operator ?

Tom

Tom,

It was Pentecost (5th Monday after Easter I think) and no shop in France was open! I was taking a school trip and staying in a self catering gite. He thought that he was the only place open quite amusing and thus would not do a take away deal. We had all other provisions except a couple of bottles of wine and some pop for the kids.

I am pleased he is well versed in who liberated his village as two old boys from my school lie in the cemetery across the road from him. Yes I will ask him the next time I visit, as long as my wallet is full!

Chris

It was Pentecost (5th Monday after Easter I think) and no shop in France was open! I was taking a school trip and staying in a self catering gite. He thought that he was the only place open quite amusing and thus would not do a take away deal. We had all other provisions except a couple of bottles of wine and some pop for the kids.

I am pleased he is well versed in who liberated his village as two old boys from my school lie in the cemetery across the road from him. Yes I will ask him the next time I visit, as long as my wallet is full!

Chris - I'm sorry but your failure to plan ahead is not Dominique's problem, and your attempt to blame him for your failings is a bit limp.

I'm also sure he will try his best, but might have difficulty helping you with any queries about "the cemetery across the road from him" (as will I, because of course there isn't one !).

Tom

Not far from across the road is it? And full of the dead that liberated his village!

Here's a link to a Google Earth view of Pozieres - point out the "the cemetery across the road from him" (Dominique's) and I'll be enlightened (or not).

I'm afraid that if post #79 defines the limit of your organisational abilities, and post #83 sets the parameters of accuracy to which you work, then maybe your running school trips to the battlefields needs a rethink.

Tom

I have to say that I am insulted by your attitude. I take children in good faith to visit the old boys graves of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Two are in Pozieres - not far from the cafe. Where do you want them to be buried - in his back yard? With the tack of battle? What does he know, or you, of these men's death? I go in in respect for them and you and he show little. It is shocking that you try to take the p*** when all I am doing is trying to give an honest report of events. Grow up. We are all here for a serious reason and I would like to think that I can get honest responses on this site. What is your point?

I agree with Tom. U need. To understand French taxes. 300% if I recall for Dom. He is a good bloke running a bar in tough times. Spend time with him and he is very very generous! Many a free beer / glass of wine I have had from him. In return I have helped him. How much would a take out wine / pop be in uk? A lot!

And re being closed at / after 2030 most bars in French villages r! If u want England and its culture stay in England.

Before criticising try and understand the challenges faced by people such as Dom.

If he has made a few quid from you so what! He has family and certainly does not live in luxury.

IMHO Dom is a great chap and I consider him a friend. I will always have a beer at his. I have yet to meet anyone more passionate and caring for the fallen.

Comments re who liberated his village are uncalled for and smack of typical jingoism. / arrogance.

My opinion

TT

TT I agree totally with your comments and I am incensed with some of the adverse remarks directed at Dom and Le Tommy café. In my opinion these places add much to our fleeting experience of the battlefields and when we go home they are left to survive as best they can in difficult financial conditions. Long may Dom continue to provide a “watering hole” and an excellent collection of memorabilia to interest us in one of the most evocative locations on the Somme. If we get into what we pay for things then just take a look at “Rip Off” Britain where some of the prices for entrance fees and common consumables are indeed “Eye Watering”.

Norman

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"

Harry S Truman, US President 1945-1953

I have to say that I am insulted by your attitude. I take children in good faith to visit the old boys graves of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Two are in Pozieres - not far from the cafe. Where do you want them to be buried - in his back yard? With the tack of battle? What does he know, or you, of these men's death? I go in in respect for them and you and he show little. It is shocking that you try to take the p*** when all I am doing is trying to give an honest report of events. Grow up. We are all here for a serious reason and I would like to think that I can get honest responses on this site. What is your point?

I would suggest that the feeling of insult was started in your post 79 when you wondered what Dominique's response would be to who liberated Pozier. The people of that village are fully aware of the history of The Great War and are very emotional and respectful of the huge loss of life required to liberate it in 1916. To say that Dominique and Tom know nothing of these men's death is even more insulting. Just by reading previous posts of this forum will give that knowledge let alone referring to the wealth of literature on the subject. As to your suggestion to burying your old boys in the back yard of Le Tommy, this might not be a bad idea. I am sure the old boys themselves would not object as they would then lie amongst their comrades who litter that area and who have no known grave. Tom Tulloch-Marshall, TT and Seadog make good valid points in support of Dominique Zarnardi and Le Tommy and should not be criticised for it. They are not taking the p*** as you like to put it; and to tell them to Grow up just adds weight to your silly insults. I look forward to discussing all of this with Dominique next Monday.

Can members just all calm down please. Strong feelings have been expressed, and members are fully entitled to them, but please can we be temperate in style and content. I really don't want to end up editing another topic or closing it.

Keith Roberts

Ghazala when you do see Dom please assure him that I have always enjoyed a visit to his cafe and even when I suddenly appeared with a coach-full of guests he coped extremely well and was unceasingly willing to share his expertise with anyone which greatly enhances any trip to the Somme. Worth bearing in mind that he is bound to experience very few visitors during the winter months so his business season is somewhat foreshortened.

Regards

Norman

Can members just all calm down please. Strong feelings have been expressed, and members are fully entitled to them, but please can we be temperate in style and content. I really don't want to end up editing another topic or closing it.Keith Roberts

Oh, OK Keith. I shall henceforth try to be more temperate.. I am still getting used to this excellent Forum.

Seadog.. It will be my pleasure to do that.

Doms place will always be on my list of places to go despite its shortcomings!

Without it I would not have met Tom Tulloch-Marshall or met Trenchtrotter all those years back!

He is also quite generous having handed over some great relics to us in the past with no charge.

His food will never get a Michelin Star but it is very welcoming after a days walking.

Will always have fond memories of the Bar.

Tony

• Admin

I think Le Tommy is like Marmite........................

Michelle

Can members just all calm down please. Strong feelings have been expressed, and members are fully entitled to them, but please can we be temperate in style and content. I really don't want to end up editing another topic or closing it.

Keith Roberts

Keith - It would be a pity to interfere with a topic which is maybe a bit more important to people who actually spend a fair amount of time on the battlefields than it might be to "mere" casual observers. - If its of any help to your nervous system I will not be replying (I don't see the need) in any detail to post #87.

I feel obliged however to refer to the comment in that post - "... What does he know, or you, of these men's death?" - The most preposterous statement I have seen on GWF for many a long time.

I think Le Tommy is like Marmite........................

Michelle

Michelle - I loathed the threat of Marmite as a child, and actually feel nauseous if I ever smell it. Ditto with tomato sauce - I cannot sit at a table with a bottle of tomato sauce on it. I agree with you though - Le Tommy is like Marmite, and maybe we should just agree that those of us who like the place (or more properly, it and it's owner) should continue to frequent it, and those in need of something "posher", or more "reliable", should go elsewhere.

More than one "Marmite" on the Somme though :o - for example that place which some people rave about and recommend as if recommendations are going out of fashion, whereas others floor the throttle as they drive past it. - Poor old Mr Roberts' blood pressure may have reached it's limit though, so we wont pursue that (or any others).

Tom

I've only been in there once. My wife and I had just come from Ovilliers Military Cemetery. It was a bright but very cold Christmas Day morning 2004 and he was the only place open. He told us that his Kitchen wasn't working so we had a beer and a bag of crisps each. He was very pleasant and told us about the old Football he had found. He gave me two laminated sheets of the front lines on 1st July and Mash Valley/Ovilliers and asked if I would send him a copy of the diary of the 2nd Middlesex for 1st July which I said I had.

He let us wander inside and out and gave us the next two beers we had "on the House". So I'll give Le Tommy a big thumbs-up.

I confess that I'm surprised by the really strong emotion (at times bordering on bitterness) expressed by several contributors to this thread. A solution seems obvious - if you dislike Le Tommy, stop complaining and go elsewhere and leave Le Tommy to those of us who appreciate Dominique and enjoy relaxing at his place. Torrey McLean