Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Now changed to the flag of Ieper - where both my Grandfathers were in 1915.

Roger

I have changed mine to reflect Remembrance day with emphasis on our Kiwi friends, it shows one of their graves with a flaxen poppy from his homeland planted there by me.

Cheers Roger.

I recently changed mine to reflect the shoulder patches of the various battalions of the 8th Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division (my paternal grandfather's unit was the 1st C.M R)

George

Recently changed mine from a picture of the only soldier I had (Sharpe!), to one of my Gt Grand Uncle, William Edward Tallowin, Bombardier, RGA.

Ok my avatar was a group of Medals to Harold Anthony Dennision OBE,MC* 11/KRRC

He has to nice fighting citations for his MC and went on in WW2 to pioneer corps as a full Colonel

awarded his OBE military the group should have the ww2 pair with it but i see no reason to pull apart the group and add them as thats how it got it

MC

Irish Harp on my monthly Irish Military Pension Receipt. :lol:

Connaught Stranger

'm afraid I'm being terribly lightweight and irreverant.

The (frankly gorgeous) Caroline Proust.

The eagle-eyed will notice that I have recently changed mine. There are reasons, but not for going into here.

It is now the officer's beret badge of my first 'grown up' unit, the Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry (now the Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry). For this forum it commemorates all at once the Staffordshire Yeomanry, the Shropshire Yeomanry, the Warwickshire Yeomanry and the Worcestershire Yeomanry (or the Queen's Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry when merged into the QOMY) who formed its Squadrons.

I'm sure it will not require the possession of a Nobel Prize-winning intellect to work out my allegiance under that badge.

• 2 weeks later...

My new Grandaughter, Elouise in her West Ham hat. She always makes me smile.

My new Grandaughter, Elouise in her West Ham hat.

Poor kid. What a start in life. :whistle:

I'm sure it will not require the possession of a Nobel Prize-winning intellect to work out my allegiance under that badge.

Hang on. It'll come to me. Is there a prize?

Hang on. It'll come to me. Is there a prize?

Hmm... yes, a Nobel Prize. But with NoMoney and NoMedal :innocent:

Poor kid. What a start in life. :whistle:

Damn sauce :P

I did say SHE made me smile, something that West Ham have not done too much in the past.... :lol:

Just obtained a photograph of my G/Uncle, Lt. Leslie Ring of the 3rd London Regiment. As I am researching his death at the battle of Epehy in 1918 I will now use this as my avatar.

Changed my avator to a photograph of my dad wearing his green beret. My dad was a volunteer HO Royal Marine 1939-45

My cousin recently sent me the photo, it was one I hadn't seen before, My dad died in 1991 and I still miss him

My father's Green Beret

Watch the above on Youtube and I'll defy anyone not to shed a tear

Caryl

• 1 month later...

Mine is a picture of my main subject of interest, John McCrae in his Lieutenant's uniform at age 28 in Guelph, Ontario before he went off at the head of his own his arty column to the Boer War. Just before that he was an interning physician at Johns Hopkins hospital in Baltimore studying under another Canadian, Sir William Osler. He jacked in his medical education temporarily saying that he did not regard his position there (at Johns Hopkins) "as an old boot," in comparison to going off to serve in the artillery.

This was 15 years before he wrote the poem, In Flanders Fields by the Yser Canal in Ypres.

Bonfire

Helmet plate of the 1st Durham Volunteer Artillery

Changed mine, yet again.

It's now Sepoy (later Jemadar) Khudadad Khan, 129th (DCO) Baluchis, who, in October 1914, became the first Indian winner of the VC.

Changed mine, yet again.

It's now Sepoy (later Jemadar) Khudadad Khan, 129th (DCO) Baluchis, who, in October 1914, became the first Indian winner of the VC.

Well at the moment he is a Very Handsome man indeed :wub: :wub: !!

You're still viewing the divine Caroline Proust (French actress :rolleyes: ). I quite understand that she may well be a better sight for sore eyes, but if you do a "Control F5", you will update your settings.

Your choice!

Well not sure if its worth it i may have to sleep on it first ..the old clear the cache bit hmm Broomers i think i prefer the old alternative you :D :D

MC

I'm sure most forum members will recognise it, but for those who don't it's Bairnsfather's Old Bill classic "A better 'ole".

cheers

Steve

My main interest the Welch Regiment, in WW1 they still had to wear there badge spelt with a "S"!

The signature at the bottom, We will do it.........................................What is it! was the moto of the 24th Div, or was it the 23rd?