Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Mine is the first memorial at vimy ridge April 1917

You mean Vimy Ridge. In Canada, we're used to giving the killing ground the respect it deserves.

Mine is my great grandfather, Herbert Ormerod, who served with 39 Battery, Royal Field Artillery, during the Great War.

Mine is that of my Grandfather's brother. When the picture was shown to my first cousin's wife she asked when her husband had grown a moustache! An uncanny resemblance! Sadly Jim (#765 RNR) died in '23 of TB...contracted during the war. Never married.... so I thought I'd honor the man and his service since there was no one else to do it for him.

Mine is explained in my signature

Lancashire & Cheshire Royal Garrison Artillery Territorial Force which my Grandfather joined in 1911.

The colours of the 17th (Glasgow Commercials) Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry.

'...In Canada, we're used to giving the killing ground the respect it deserves..'

every contributor to this Forum gives the killing ground the respect it deserves...

Mine is, well what it says! :D

Mine is my Great Uncle - George Pettit - Royal Engineers in both wars.

Mine is the Cap Badge of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. The Regiment my great great Uncle served in.

Stephen

'...In Canada, we're used to giving the killing ground the respect it deserves..'

every contributor to this Forum gives the killing ground the respect it deserves...

Revered Clio, needs must I hearken to my Muse. However, I see discordant strains of textspeak and non-capitalisation which appear to this poor Legionnaire to be disrespectful. Can you summon a bolt from Mars to nip this slothful habit in the bud, Your devoted acolyte, Antony :ph34r:

Mine is Marco "The Pirate" Pantani, something of a flawed genius, but to my mind the finest out and out climber there has ever been.

His life was something of a tragic story, ruined by drugs, but for natural talent to my mind there has never been anyone better. His battles with Armstrong, especially on the climb to Mont Ventoux in the 2001 Tour were legendary. There will never be another like him.

• 3 months later...

Mine is of the Menien Gate, taken when I visited Yipers with my son in 2005, to located the grave of a Kinsman killed 23rd October 1914 while serving with the 1st BN of the Camerion Highlanders.

The daily Menien Gate service I found very moving.

Mine is of the Menien Gate, taken when I visited Yipers with my son in 2005, to located the grave of a Kinsman killed 23rd October 1914 while serving with the 1st BN of the Camerion Highlanders.

The daily Menien Gate service I found very moving.

Mine is an old style New Zealand Police helmet badge with a Kings Crown.

In my day we when we wore Helmets the badge was silver with Queens Crown.

Tony

Mine is Colonel Sanders of KFC fame. My kids tell me I look like him and who doesnt like fried chicken ? Also "military" connection with honorary "Col" status :D

For myself, I'm back on the fine hero of many a movie: the great Richard Wattis.

If you haven't seen The Colditz Story I won't go out with you. So there.

Mine is the badge of the French 3e Regiment, Chasseurs d'Afrique. Always rather poignantly associated with the Ardennes despite being historically based in Constantine, North Africa (Algeria): In 1870 they took part in the heroic but vain charges at Illy and Floing in the Battle of Sedan and in 1914 also suffered great losses at Rossignol, not 30 miles away, in the Battle of the Frontiers.

I suppose I could have gone for the emblem of the local Belgian regiment, the Chasseurs Ardennais:

lien_chasseurs%20ardennais.gif

But I didn't want to get shot at like "GunnerBailey" !

Mine is, well me portraying a VAD in the town of Bussum in the Netherlands for a living history weekend that they hold in a disused Army training camp.

Lots of interest from the Dutch.

Mine is a detail of a photo of my grandfather, Dr. Stuart Revels (then Captain S. Revels). We used to visit him on a Sunday once or twice a year, and from the time when I was about 13 years old until I was 22, and he was 92, when we were alone together he used to tell me about his time in The Great War. I was a teenager fluent only in grunts but always fascinated with that war, and he was an old man who had been waiting 60 years for someone to ask him about it and then listen properly to what he said.

I subsequently discovered that on these Sunday afternoons he had told me, his youngest grandson, far far more than he had ever revealed to any other family member about what he had gone through, and I am currently writing a short book so that the younger generations of our family can appreciate what he suffered and achieved from 1914 to 1920 as he went from Private soldier to Captain.

I thought that I had seen and scanned all of the old family photos, and had given up as hopeless my search for a photo of him taken during the war, but several months ago an aunt discovered this photo and sent it to me. It shows my grandfather as a 2nd Lieut. with two wound-stripes, probably taken late in 1916 when he was aged 22 and back at home in Glasgow, recovering from being buried alive after a howitzer shell had landed next to him in a trench at Bezantin Ridge. He suffered shell-shock and it was two months before he stopped shaking and had regained control of his bladder; but forgive me, I am drivelling on...

William Revels

post-49411-1255103344.jpg

Mine is myself skiing telemark style: very Great War fashioned!

Still have to put my hands on a pair of original Great War pair of skis...

All I have at the moment is part of an Austrian Billgeri brand ski and half of a Billgeri binding. Both battlefield relics.

post-50322-1255698965.jpg

Mine is one of the poppies from the RBL Field of Poppies at the Flanders' Field of Remembrance at the Menin Gate from last year.

3786749594_39fdbcb93b.jpg

The picture is of my twin brother, Charles B. Good Ford doing living history of an American Soldier in France 1918.

l_9c9cba35664e284ab7f94022aa714fbe.jpg

Here Charlie is in the Army.....90 years later. Iraq, not France.

l_044b965cecc1464f9f48fd460b685a1c.jpg

Mine is the Royal Artillery

to remember my Dad who was in the 39/13th LAA

Robert