Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Village, BBC1 9pm Easter Sunday

Kate Wills

I'm married to a railway enthusiast.

Try watching Brief Encounter or The 39 Steps sitting next to one of them.

Shall we form a RE Wives' club, Kate??

• Admin

I'm married to a railway enthusiast.

Try watching Brief Encounter or The 39 Steps sitting next to one of them.

I bet those documentaries on the RE Railway Operating Dept Concert Parties are a ral hoot in chez Wills

Most of us would neither know whether or not it was right, nor care. :ph34r:

Whenever the war is depicted in TV drama, there are always forum members who will comment that the uniform wasnt right, the tactics weren't right, the history wasn't right, the saluting wasnt right, the blah blah wasnt right.

I've always been in the "wouldnt know if it was right and don't care".

I confess to being moderately appalled at the lack of proper moustaches displayed in this programme. No walrus or soup-strainer tache's. It ain't right. I feel sure Bert's mum at least would have had a growth on the upper lip.

As the Crew used to say to the reenactors used in both "Gettysburg" and" gods and generals" ( otherwise known as Stonewalls conversations AT god ) "ITS ONLY A MOVIE GUYS "

My problem with this is that it takes no more effort to get things Right then it does to get things wrong.. Hence me not opening the Warhorse DVD yet..

very true and don't open the DVD take it to a bin and dispose of now , very true on the just as easy to get it right in some ways the production spends more on getting it wrong , and these days with the information available easier than 30 years ago there are some real howlers in films made in the 1950s and 1960s when there should have been no excuses , and just look at those awful haircuts in films such as Battle of Britain or Land Rovers in 633 Squadron or in Dambusters jets parked in the background

Slightly off-topic, but the mistakes in the Dam Busters I can take because the movie was well-intentioned and true to type. War Horse, however, was bilge - saccharine-coated, manipulative tat.

The Village has grown on me because, I suspect, like The Colditz Story, Dam Busters, The Cruel Sea, etc, etc, it has a central core of honesty, integrity and truth which what are, after all, minor errors doesn't lessen.

Whenever the war is depicted in TV drama, there are always forum members who will comment that the uniform wasnt right, the tactics weren't right, the history wasn't right, the saluting wasnt right, the blah blah wasnt right.

I've always been in the "wouldnt know if it was right and don't care".

Does the mean that the book about the sixth manchesters could either be about a lot of rotters or even about a different battalion??

On a related topic Kate was quite grateful to learn that she would be well advised not to try and catch a train to Scotland from Paddington Station - it may work in the films but not in practice!!!!

It's quite possible that the only way to know what really happened at any point of history is to be there yourself. And, then, you would be limited by your role and the baggage you bring with you (class, education, etc.). As we know, it takes a literate and motivated observer to even record their experiences and we are missing many valuable points of view because of this. So, I have to give some leeway to art or we would never have a single piece of historical drama. However, the entertainment you get from critical viewing or warning others not to watch it might be THE fun for you.. LOL!

Edited by rose of picardy

John as i mentioned already , the GBP ( great british public bless um ) in large proportions gain their historical "knowledge" for what its worth via the popular media..

Thus it is beholden on film and TV makers to get at least basic details correct.. and given the effort needed to make any period drama it takes just as much effort to get details right then it does to get wrong. and in the cas of BBC the GBP are paying for people on set to do their jobs well and with some level of knowledge on the subject they are working on.

I have been on several sets over the years and all to often see the Costume and make up dept using a old copy of a Osprey Book as their sole referance.. and if its not IN the BOOK you cant wear it...

Andy

Is this a wind up?

You are criticising others for their poor accuracy in a post that is littered with mistakes.

Kevin

Indeed Rose. From reading this thread, I think that the error spotting becomes part of the experience for some and quite a competition. After three episodes of 'The Village' I still think that it's a reasonable -but not exceptional - piece of drama. I might drift away from watching it, not due to real or alleged historical errors, but because it's simply not maintaining my interest.

Regards

Michael Bully

It's quite possible that the only way to know what really happened at any point of history is to be there yourself. And, then, you would be limited by your role and the baggage you bring with you (class, education, etc.). As we know, it takes a literate and motivated observer to even record their experiences and we are missing many valuable points of view because of this. So, I have to give some leeway to art or we would never have a single piece of historical drama. However, the entertainment you get from critical viewing or warning others not to watch it might be THE fun for you.. LOL!

Is this a wind up?

You are criticising others for their poor accuracy in a post that is littered with mistakes.

Kevin

Andy's posts on this forum are not funded by the license fee, methinks, which I think is a major point he is putting across. Therefore I can forgive any spelling errors which may have crept in to his post (which may or may not be due to a disability as well!).

As to it being just as easy to get things right as it is to get them wrong, I fully agree. Unless an intentional departure from accuracy is required for the plot, then why not get it right?

On topic, I watched the first episode - was less than impressed. May give it another shot and see if the series improved, which sometimes happens.

Question: In the first episode, when all the village lads were all dressed up to leave for the Army, with their packing cases and what not, I was surprised by the lack of hats. Am I right to be surprised?

Simon

Slightly off topic but concerning accuracy within recent historical periods the drama Call the Midwife regularly shows the midwife cycling through the docks , this would be like today taking a short cut airside across Heathrow airport , and you wonder if something that simple can not be done in a drama representing a period 50 years ago and the BBC web site has detailed the books a historical document it does make you wonder on anything just out of present memory ,and for the arrogance of the BBC set dresser on Midwife just watch the extras on the DVD

i've watched the first two episodes and I quite enjoy it plus the girl who plays Martha is incredibly good looking so bonus.

Oh gawd what a miserable episode tonight, thankfull for seven days respite untill I have to suffer it again...........

The box of possessions sent home after a soldier was killed seemed to contain his 1914-15 Star. And he had been killed before the Battle of the Somme!

Martin

The box of possessions sent home after a soldier was killed seemed to contain his 1914-15 Star.

I was wondering about that as I thought the medal wasn't issued until 1918.

Just when we thought that Norman didn't like this series, he finally 'comes out' and admits he IS watching and enjoying 'The Village'. Well done Norman. :thumbsup:

I agree wrt the medal, James and I did comment on it. However, as this programme is for the masses and they wouldn't (most probably) know when the medals were issued, I feel this was 'poetic licence' on the programme maker's part, so I will allow them this one (because I am nice and understanding in that way :) )

Still very much enjoying this programme and will miss it when it ends in a few weeks

It was pretty miserable, wasn't it? I must admit I am close to switch off. Call me shallow but do I really need this much gloom in my life when Monday morning is only a few hours away!

The medal wasn't issued until 1917/1918 but I'll put this down, like Kim, to poetic licence. What about the uniform though? Surely the uniform of a casualty wasn't returned to the family for them to look for bullet holes and bloodstains. This was a nonsense and was introduced only to support the following scenes where the mother attempted to find out the truth behind her son's death which Joe MUST have had to tell someone. All a bit flimsy, I thought.

I know that personal effects were returned but, for my interest, would this have ever included items of kit?

Paul

Didn't Vera Brittain eventually receive Roland's kit including uniform?

It was pretty miserable, wasn't it? I must admit I am close to switch off. Call me shallow but do I really need this much gloom in my life when Monday morning is only a few hours away!

The medal wasn't issued until 1917/1918 but I'll put this down, like Kim, to poetic licence. What about the uniform though? Surely the uniform of a casualty wasn't returned to the family for them to look for bullet holes and bloodstains. This was a nonsense and was introduced only to support the following scenes where the mother attempted to find out the truth behind her son's death which Joe MUST have had to tell someone. All a bit flimsy, I thought.

I know that personal effects were returned but, for my interest, would this have ever included items of kit?

Paul

Not sure on other ranks which I doubt wold happen , but officers yes as per the scene in Testament of Youth when Roland Leightons effects are sent to his parents complete with blood stained and ripped tunic , which is then burned and buried in the garden .

Did I hallucinate or did Mrs Whatshername take out a 1914-15 star from her dead son's kit (in summer 1916?) Not issued until 1920? Time travel?