Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Village, BBC1 9pm Easter Sunday

Kate Wills

Still watching and last night's was less convincing when there was more of a Great War focus.

I'm still watching, and still enjoying it for what it is. Entertainment. But I see little point in repeatedly posting here as most want only to put the programme down. Whilst everyone is entitled to their own opinion, a lot are more forceful than others.

Last night's epsode: the bit which most interested me was the 'code' they worked out (between Joe and Bert) for the postcards.

I also liked they showed Joe's torment . And also the school teacher conscientious objector.

I won't mention the party they had, or the smiles on Bert's and his dad's faces over the horse, 'cos that was having a bit if fun, and they don't have any if that in this programme - obviously.

I'm still watching and still enjoying.

I may be getting old, or soft, or something, but as I said before I can endure the anachronisms and accept it for what it is: well-written, well-acted and beautifully-filmed drama.

I'm just amazed at how many GWF members find time to watch television.

Keith

After watching the nonsense last night about the conscientious objector being awarded a death sentence and the standard of dress of those in uniform I think I will stop watching.

He wasn't actually awarded the death sentence. If you watched it properly, you would see they used it as an example of what could happen to him if he failed to follow an order, which is why he eventually chose to put on the uniform and march down the street.

• Admin

I have to say it's growing on me and I enjoyed last night's more than the previous two ( I thought the first one was dire) and I'm beginning to care what happens to them all, especially Molly!

I think they're having a pretty good stab at the Home Front, though yes there are historical inaccuracies but I think you can file them under dramatic narrative - hands up all those spitting feathers until young Bert changed the date on the blackboard :doh: !

Ken

I have to admit I was a major critic of the first two episodes of 'The Village' but last night's episode was terrific entertainment, I even laughed outloud at the end.

To all my fellow doubters and gloomsters this series is maybe just worth another look.

Maxi

(Sick of the taste of Umble pie, again)

How long would it take to teach an actor to salute convincingly - or at least as if he`d done it before?

About 35 seconds, I reckon.

Incidentally (and slightly off-topic) I watched BBC4's drama about P G Wodehouse's little embarrassment in WW2 on catch-up last night. It was utterly excellent, except at the end when the actor playing Major Malcolm Muggeridge (yes - him) saluted while holding his cap in his left hand! It appears to be one thing the TV guys cannot understand. Americans do, we don't. QED.

About 35 seconds, I reckon.

Incidentally (and slightly off-topic) I watched BBC4's drama about P G Wodehouse's little embarrassment in WW2 on catch-up last night. It was utterly excellent, except at the end when the actor playing Major Malcolm Muggeridge (yes - him) saluted while holding his cap in his left hand! It appears to be one thing the TV guys cannot understand. Americans do, we don't. QED.

Strange habit of the 5th Actors platoon.

How long would it take to teach an actor to salute convincingly - or at least as if he`d done it before?

Most of us would neither know whether or not it was right, nor care. :ph34r:

Most of us would neither know whether or not it was right, nor care. :ph34r:

Given amount of regulars(not many today), TA. Ex reg and TA plus Nat service men AND the ones that float and fly. Quite a number I would think. Long way up, short way down is taught to 13 year old cadets. Want to act, learn your job. Now where is the nearest Am-dram ducky :ph34r:

I see. This a forum principally for ex-service personnel. That was not my understanding of it when I joined in 2002, but now I know. Believe it or not, many of us who have an interest in this period of history have no service background. No more, fact, than did our grandparents who were plucked from mines, shops, hospitals, schools or offices before they were plunged into the maelstrom and had to find out. If an actor is going to impersonate a squaddie, then it's probably better he or she gets the gestures right, but my point was that most of us wouldn't know.

For the record, I do actually know something about performance arts, and I have never called anyone 'ducky'.

Gwyn

Gwyn it is no pop at service or non service. My grouse is learning basic acting for a scene. Sorry you get paid the cash, learn the part. Attention to detail. A school chum is a jobbing actress, always requests on how to do XYZ. As she notes it, get into part.

well-written, well-acted and beautifully-filmed drama.

You're right on the money with that comment, in my opinion.

Nit pickers and anoraks might shriek, but it works for me.

Phil (PJA)

I see. This a forum principally for ex-service personnel. That was not my understanding of it when I joined in 2002, but now I know. Believe it or not, many of us who have an interest in this period of history have no service background. No more, fact, than did our grandparents who were plucked from mines, shops, hospitals, schools or offices before they were plunged into the maelstrom and had to find out. If an actor is going to impersonate a squaddie, then it's probably better he or she gets the gestures right, but my point was that most of us wouldn't know.

For the record, I do actually know something about performance arts, and I have never called anyone 'ducky'.

Gwyn

Gwyn, if you think the ex-services on here are critical try living with my wife the A&E sister and ex-QA! But you are of course right, when I was in it took 16 weeks before they were satisfied we could even be called a soldier, and anyone who has had an officer idly respond to their salute will have seen far more ridiculous hand actions than any TV play. Mick

Takes a few seconds to be told how to salute but becoming proficient in it takes a lot more than that. I've saluted on many occasions but didn't even notice this 'poor' salute. I'll have to watch again!

Strangely enough the bit about the garlic flavoured milk (because the cows were eating the Ramson in the fields) rang true for me as a bloke I was talking to just last week had mentioned that his chickens must have been eating it as sometimes their eggs tasted of garlic. He said it was a bit weird until they realised what it was, then they said it was rather nice ...for a change.

Liked the code with the 'crossing out lines' on the Field Service Card. I'll keep that in mind if I come across any more in my research.

That Joe brought fleas home is a good reminder of their terrible effect on troops in the trenches and I recall reading an account of the methods they used to try and eradicate them ...without much success.

The horse in the pub at the end was brilliant and yes, I laughed out loud at that too. A great note to end this episode which is growing on me.

Thanks for explaining what they were doing in the fields until well after dark pulling up the plants. That horse is wonderful. I also love Bert's expressive face. Such a joy when he smiles. His character is beginning to come through now. It is well acted and I am enjoying the escapism.

Susan

Thanks for explaining what they were doing in the fields until well after dark pulling up the plants. That horse is wonderful. I also love Bert's expressive face. Such a joy when he smiles. His character is beginning to come through now. It is well acted and I am enjoying the escapism.

Susan

Ah yes, 'Ramson' (also known as wild garlic) is a dark green leaved plant that has flowers like white stars. When the sun's on it you can smell the garlic in the air before you get near to it.

Yes, young Bert's getting to be a cheeky little beggar isn't he? Giving the schools inspector a load of lip about what he had for breakfast. I'm surprised he didn't get a slap for that. I think the short teacher is in for a shock now he's enlisted and I'll be very interested to see if he comes back a changed man. He's a bit like a Jack Russell, small and snappy with a bad temper.

Rather than nit-picking you guys should count yourselves lucky... I work in IT and I doubt there has EVER been a TV programme or film in which the military depiction is as bad as even the average depiction of IT.

Of course, real IT would be completely tedious to watch, so it tends to range from making the trivial seem incredible or making something that is a huge job or even totally impossible seem completely trivial.

Then of course there is the complete nonsense that is spouted just to make something sound vaguely technical... "He's using a fluctuating IP address to insert some malicious code into the server's CPU... I'll recalibrate by switching to SCSI mode and increasing my RAM buffer..." etc etc etc.

When card readers, tapes and flashing lights went out of fashion, IT lost all it's visual effects. Thus 'techno babble' comes into play. The programme makers have to appeal to all viewers, with any IT knowledge or not.

I'll just go reset the blades and hyper overload drive ready for the technology overload on repeat. Standby to reIPL and avoid the head crash - Old IT chap.

I'm married to a railway enthusiast.

Try watching Brief Encounter or The 39 Steps sitting next to one of them.

:w00t:

And try watching anything medical with a GP

He expects the depiction of a deceased person to look real !! (But they can't I say, they are not dead). No use, no wonder the Archers is a faviourite of his. :glare:

I always assume my wife is grateful when I point out that the loco arriving at the platform couldn`t have had a BR number in the 1930s. Too overcome with gratitude to actually thank me.