Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Village, BBC1 9pm Easter Sunday

Kate Wills

I thought Caeser preferred a pipe! Especially when watching the telly.

Surely Caesar adsum jam forte?

Surely Caesar adsum jam forte?

So he supported the Dodgers?

Crumbs I thought the topic had been removed. No comments about tonight's episode.

Well, I enjoyed it. Albeit sad.

Susan

I enjoyed it too.

I thought it portrayed the torment and ignorance of shell shock very well.

Maxine Peake is some actress.

I'm sorry, but I thought that it perpetuated the old myth that anyone with 'shell shock' was summarily shot out of hand. Particularly that - as far as I could make out - Joe was AWOL, rather than a deserter.

As for the fact that the mother of the local MP would not speak Latin, whilst the former soldier come detective would; I remain unconvinced!

Roxy

Crumbs I thought the topic had been removed. No comments about tonight's episode.

Well, I enjoyed it. Albeit sad.

Susan

I looked at this thread this morning assuming that last nights execution would have raised many comments. My understanding, which I have checked, was that no one was executed for desertion on home soil.

One quote I found..."One of the many reasons that anger the campaigners is that far more men deserted in the United Kingdom than in France/Belgium (four times) but that no-one was ever executed for desertion actually in the UK."

Kevin

I looked at this thread this morning assuming that last nights execution would have raised many comments. My understanding, which I have checked, was that no one was executed for desertion on home soil.

One quote I found..."One of the many reasons that anger the campaigners is that far more men deserted in the United Kingdom than in France/Belgium (four times) but that no-one was ever executed for desertion actually in the UK."

Kevin

Kevin - was Joe actually "shot at dawn"? All we heard was a rifle report so it could have been anything really? Cliff hanger for next week? I enjoyed last night. Read the above comment and any discrepancies are to do with the village as opposed to wearing medals not yet issued.

I agree, was he shot. We only heard a gunshot.

It is like last week's ending. Joe strolling home.

Did he, didn't he.

Has he, hasn't he.

We will have to wait until next week.

Darn.

And Maxine Peake is superb

Again, I think some of you are taking things too literally.

This in not a Great War documentary. It is a serial entertainment geared towards the masses and is only very very loosely interpreting things from the war, it is not meant to be exactly how things would necessarily have happened, it just wouldn't work for the story line.

KGB: I think we were meant to have the impression Joe was shot at dawn, the tears from his parents together with the sound of the shot certainly suggested that happened.

Summary execution! I did not notice, must have dozed off. Did the MP fire his pistol? As TV drama goes, IMHO, rather better than most.

Old Tom

I saw a flaming trailer for next week (wish I hadn't kept looking but could not help it)

Arghh - serves me right

I am still enjoying it!

Tony

Indeed ! Well put. I thought last night's episode was probably the best , but my interest is starting to dwindle: Not because the series is failing some standard of historical accuaracy, but the storyline is simply not holding my attention. Regards, Michael Bully

This in not a Great War documentary. It is a serial entertainment geared towards the masses and is only very very loosely interpreting things from the war, it is not meant to be exactly how things would necessarily have happened, it just wouldn't work for the story line.

KGB: I think we were meant to have the impression Joe was shot at dawn, the tears from his parents together with the sound of the shot certainly suggested that happened.

• Admin

But, 'it portrayed the torment and ignorance of shell shock very well...' so is it a documentary or entertainment?'

Personally I became bored with the sheer tedium and cliches two episodes ago as far as I'm concerned it fails on either count. I have two episodes on HD but in view of the above (shot at dawn - not again!) looks like they'll be deleted.

Ken

As for the fact that the mother of the local MP would not speak Latin, whilst the former soldier come detective would; I remain unconvinced!

Roxy

Now she ( is it Juliet Stevenson ?) is superb : in a series conspicuous for good acting, I think her performance is the best.

What a chilling doyenne ! Intellectually she outclasses the men, she is ruthless, but there is a streak of enlightenment in her that intrigues me. She likes a glass of wine or two. Very compelling.

Phil (PJA)

Personally I became bored with the sheer tedium and cliches two episodes ago ...................

Ken

So why even bother recording the other episodes then, if you're so 'bored' with it?

• Admin

So why even bother recording the other episodes then, if you're so 'bored' with it?

'Record whole series' just does it automatically - another marvel of technology :thumbsup:!

I guess that's why my HD is 87% full!

But I do wonder why every 21st Century fictional account I read or see of the Great War has either self-mutillation or shot at dawn don't know how they found time to fight.

Ken

Susan it is your duty to tell us about next week's episode! What if I am trampled to death by wildebeest tomorrow? Could you live with yourself - well could you?

If the lad Joe was Shot at Dawn, which I doubt, then haven't the writers missed a lot of dramatic material such as the trial, an appeal and the execution itself?

After a grim start, this series has very much grown on me and I agree that the acting is superb which has avoided the awfulness of Downton Abbey (thank god for that).

Last episode next week and then the next series concerns itself with life in the roaring twenties. Oh please may the gorgeous Charlie Murphy still be in it!

Maxi

I expect the trial etc wasn't used because the title of the show is 'The Village' and by using those scenes it would no longer be about 'The Village', but about someone 'shot at dawn'.

I read the scene as an off-screen indication that - as the redcaps and soldier struggled - the gun was somehow discharged. Who, if anyone, was shot we'll have to wait and see. I personally never considered the shot to constitute a 'shot at dawn' incident.

Bernard

The farmer looks so weedy a gust of wind might blow him over,i just can't picture him labouring all day in the fields,and i'm sure his wife is really Kate Humble

out of Autumn Watch.