Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Village, BBC1 9pm Easter Sunday

Kate Wills

I had hazel eyes and brown hair, now I have no hair and brown eyes. Better than the alternative I suppose.

My only real criticism last night was that in one afternoon, John had managed to elude his suicide attempt, regain the strength to drag his newly purchased cow home and then get back in time for the birth of his new child!! And why did the baying crowd feel the need to respect John's property by waiting at the gate to 'get him'? That said, I will be back for more next Sunday :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

Yeah, that was all a bit sudden wasn't it. I get the 'shock can bring on labour' bit. But the cow could have come into the story later.

A Load of Twaddle!

As described in the Telegraph

Link

http://www.telegraph...as-twaddle.html

Seems to reflect the general opinion of the newspaper reviewers

Regards

Norman

Which, oddly enough, is exactly the same link to the Tottygraph I posted.

I'm curious about something, Norman - on this thread you've posted these comments -

"The logic of how anyone can form a view of such programmes by not actually watching them despite how painful this can prove to be is beyond me"

and

"I did try but first 5 minutes were enough"

Have you actually seen the programme through fully? Or are your opinions based on newspaper reviewers?

The thing is that really we should be discussing the Great War aspects of this programme in order for the discussion to remain relevant to the forum. Some are just using it as a chance to have a snipe at the programme in general and that to me is reason enough to ask them to desist, or are they just trying to get the thread binned?

I have tried to raise a couple of discussion points relevant to the Great War like the Field Service Postcard. I am pleased it's been used in the programme because I'd forgotten that I had a scan of one and have been able to share it here. I've also taken the opportunity to read through it and look at the implications of the multiple choice answers that the soldier was faced with when they filled it in. It must have been difficult for them to fill it in and not be allowed to make any other comment to their family. Likewise it must have been difficult for the family to receive just this.

I think Maxine Peake's character answered the question "Is that it?" from young Bert, with the words "It's all I need, isn't it?"

I had hazel eyes and brown hair, now I have no hair and brown eyes. Better than the alternative I suppose.

:w00t:

My comment about the speed with which the brother got to France was slightly toungue-in-cheek - I suspect the postcard wouldn't have been used until he arrived overseas, which led to the comment about the speed with which that was accomplished. Comments about "trenshes" wre also probably anachronistic, I expect, as we are still only in the first autumn. I'm not even sure the conversation between profiteers about impending conscription isn't strictly a little previous, too, but I'm liking it enough not to nit-pick.

It's strange, but in the case of what looks as if it has the potential to be "classic TV" I can overcome my quibbles. It's tosh like Downton or War Horse that raises my ire - platitudinous nonsense aimed at the lowest common denominator deserves vitriol.

And no wheeled suitcases to really get up your snoz......

My comment about the speed with which the brother got to France was slightly toungue-in-cheek

Which was how I read it ;), but would the postcard be used whilst on home service or training, or was it strictly for foreign service?

Regards,

Sean.

If you follow the storyline, Joe has it off in the woods with the 'slightly bonkers lass' from the big house, then goes away to war. In the next episode she's told she is 5 months pregnant and Joe's family get a Field Service Postcard. So it's more like 4 to 5 months from him leaving until they get the postcard. Plenty of time for Joe to get to the front and send it.

The other bit of time line is the 'German' sausage dog being stoned to death in the first episode as the lads are driven off to war and then in the second episode the 5 month pregnant 'slightly bonkers girl' comes staggering in with a decomposed dog that she's just dug up and places it on her bed for the maid to find and scream the house down. That dog looks pretty decomposed, but is it 5 months worth of rot? I recall that my wife had a few cravings during her pregnancies but never a penchance for out of date sausage.

Keeping it Great War related, at about this time Keighley had some riots ending with a locally born butcher with a German Name (Hoffmann) getting his shop windows put in and all his window stock nicked. The riot was stopped by the local vicar.

I have to confess I've tried to watch the second part, but gave up about three parts through. Is this fiction or based on someone's telling of his life - I thought it was based on fact, but find it very hard to believe if it is. In a rural community where some can't afford to buy a loaf of bread - and that will not have been that uncommon, where do all the kids come from with 6d's to pay into the kitty so that one someone takes a good beating - or have I miss-construed that aspect of the story-line? Weren’t the men at the front on something like 1s 6d a day, and as my wife pointed out, if she was given 6d in the 1960's she thought it fantastic. As for the female 'school teacher' as I thought she had come to the village to be - don't get me started!

Sorry, but I won't be able to stay around for the rest of the thirty or so episodes.

Dave

I quite liked the first episode but, like Dave, started to lose enthusiasm during the second, though I persevered until the end. There's some very good acting, the scenery is great, but I wonder who many will see it through all 40+ episodes, though it will be interesting to see how the actors "age" - and I wonder how many of them will need to be "written out" as they become unavailable though other commitments.

Moonraker

If you follow the storyline, Joe has it off in the woods with the 'slightly bonkers lass' from the big house, then goes away to war. In the next episode she's told she is 5 months pregnant and Joe's family get a Field Service Postcard. So it's more like 4 to 5 months from him leaving until they get the postcard. Plenty of time for Joe to get to the front and send it.

Hold on a second, that story rings a bell, that's pretty much what happened to my brother!

And no wheeled suitcases to really get up your snoz......

The Daily Mail review has a scene where the boys are off to war, carrying leather suitcases.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2305574/The-Village-TV-review-100-years-hopes-dashed-overdose-Lefty-nonsense.html

Is this likely? They'd be expensive.

Kath.

I do resent that throw away phrase that 'if you don't like it you can always switch off'. Why should I? I pay my poll tax each year to the BBC and therefore I am quite entitled to watch 'The Village' in the hope it might get better. It didn't. which I posted, but I will continue to watch it in the hope it will improve and become compelling Sunday night viewing especially when featuring the Great War.

Maxi (dismounting from his high horse)

The young lady of the big house is roaming around the fields looking for her 'German' dog in a see-through night dress. Later, the local MD tells her mother that she is 5 months pregnant!

She doesn't even have a bump for goodness sake.

Finding it a bit difficult to see the screen due to the amount of pins I've stuck in my eyes.

Maxi

P.S Can recommend sucking beer through a broom head though.

He wasted quite a lot of beer when slurping from the bucket, he should have been more carefull.

The young lady of the big house is roaming around the fields looking for her 'German' dog in a see-through night dress.

I've had a skip through the replays and can't find a scene with a german dog wearing a see-through night dress.

I've now watched two hours of this and, like my namesake, am so depressed that I'm considering topping myself. I think I may have watched enough.

Hang on in there John only another four episodes remaining plus a possible 30+ hours to come.

TIP: Turn the sound off, I find this greatly improves the viewer experience!

Norman

I've now watched two hours of this and, like my namesake, am so depressed that I'm considering topping myself. I think I may have watched enough.

I agree, though I whizzed through some of the misery. I can't believe life was so utterly joyless.

Well what happened in last night’s episode as I understand that WW1 featured. Is nobody watching this classic anymore like me!

Norman

Yes, I'm still watching. Norman, if you are so disinterest, why do you ask?