Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Village, BBC1 9pm Easter Sunday

Kate Wills

I love this thread., It appears, like in the whole of Skindles, that although we are all watching the same programme, but we are all seeing different things!

I will keep watching, because the little lad that plays Bert is brilliant.

Hopefully the last bullet was for John Simm, the father because he is getting on my nerves.

Mandy

Susan it is your duty to tell us about next week's episode! What if I am trampled to death by wildebeest tomorrow? Could you live with yourself - well could you?

Oh, Ok..arm suitably twisted.. It seems that (I think it is an older Bert) walking along thinking about November 11th and Joe being shot on that day. (albeit a different November 11th to the end of hostilities)

Then he gets into a petty row with someone and asks them if they will "get up at dawn" to remember on the forthcoming 11th November anniversary.

All very short, fast clips.

There you are. I sincerely apologise for ruining anyones next week's viewing. Hope I have got it all wrong!!

All the chaps I have found going AWOL were picked up by the local police, handed over to military, returned to France/Belgium and tried over there.

So if this chap you are talking about is shot (next week), then the military will no doubt be done for murder.

I watched episode one but have not seen any of the others - just ain't got time :w00t:

I could have been a High Court Judge but I never had the Latin.

I'm still enjoying this series. Well-acted, well-crafted and exceedingly well-photographed. It might not be accurate but neither was Zulu and we all enjoy that.

Or some western or the other where the cowboy is wearing a watch on his wrist

Or Raquel Welch wearing a bikini in 'One Million Years BC'.

That's not a complaint, I was just reminiscing...

My glasses have just steamed up.

Or some western or the other where the cowboy is wearing a watch on his wrist

Blopper in Spartacus (1960) when Antoninus (Tony Curtis) appears wearing jeans (in his second scene with Levantus) blink and you will miss it! I looked up a spoiler and it said "Forward to 1920 and the memorial unveiled" no mention of Joe who had his way with Charlie Murphy and Caro Thingy. Maybe he died trying to see if there were women in the German trenches?

I'm watching it as it goes: could I ask others who have checked spoilers not to ruin it for those of us who just want to watch it, please.

All the chaps I have found going AWOL were picked up by the local police, handed over to military, returned to France/Belgium and tried over there.

Exactly - analogous to the point I was making about the nonsense of portraying the military, rather than the civilian police, arresting the conscientious objector.

I'm not enjoyng the Village, cos I'm not watching it.

I am enjoying this thread, tho.

:devilgrin:

Kath.

If my spoiler upset anyone just delete it 'kay?

Let me know if Catherine Deneuve plays a French refugee.

Then I'll watch it.

Otherwise I shall continue to seek my Sunday evening pleasure in Plymouth Navy Strength with Angostura.

Don't forget now . . . . Catherine Deneuve . . .

I didn't even know what "spoilers" were (apart from those things on cars) and have had to re-read the above.

Reference to my post #253 - it was the BBC themselves that put the clip on.

Mea maxima culpa and all that jazz

Let me know if Catherine Deneuve plays a French refugee.

Then I'll watch it.

Otherwise I shall continue to seek my Sunday evening pleasure in Plymouth Navy Strength with Angostura.

Don't forget now . . . . Catherine Deneuve . . .

I think she's going to be the Au Pair in Series 23. I'll give you a heads up, going forward.

I was quite moved by tonight's episode, especially the final scene at the war memorial.

Yes, I thought that was well done. In connection with this programme, I think I might have recently discovered where my local war memorial committee minutes are held so it's been particularly relevant to me. I haven't ever heard of a war memorial with a plaque to anyone S.A.D. though?

T'was very moving indeed, *sniff* *sniff*

Sorry this programme has ended and I look forward to the next lot of episodes, although it will no longer be Great War related, we shall have to discuss it in Skindles.

I think I am right in saying that the SAD epitaph shown in the prog seems to have been snitched from here:

http://www.webmatter...eulmont_com.htm

See the Ingham image, down the page. I'm not saying that its come to 'The Village' from the website but I seem to recall that Anthony Babbington's book on SAD's had this on the cover, so I was aware of the gravestone.

Bernard

Did I see a real howler in the opening scene of tonight's episode: a large grey coloured, apparently modern day, skip/container in the background when the guys dressed as women were pushing the prams up the road towards the camera?

(probably supposed to have been digitally deleted or disguised, and somebody forgot)

NigelS

Just joined this forum, enjoyed this thread, but deeply disappointed that no eagle-eyed member questioned a non-conformist minister wearing a surplice. ;/)

Stuart

On the subject of non-conformity, would a Methodist minister have remained at one chapel for seven years (or whatever the time-scale might have been). I thought they were rotated every few years? And would a farmer's wife such as the Maxine Peake character have worked in a boot factory?