Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Greek bayonets

trajan

Nice one, and with the same small size shallow-impressed serial numbers as found on the originals. The Gras used by the Greeks in WW1 and after have really large and clumsy-looking serial numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

My 3 Turkish made, Greek Y1903 Bayonet's . Wish I had scabbard's and Frog's for them

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Steve

Those bayonets are not Turkish made but originally constructed by Italian firms during 1930 and were used only by Greek army during Ww2 against Italian and German Army, from October 1940 until April 1941 were the Greek front collapsed by the power of german army. 

If you think that France surrender during 3 weeks you can understand what was the sucrifice of the Greek army for the world. 

The delay caused a lot of problems for german army as the winter postponned the German offensive, according the Barbarossa plan. 

And that was something which is charged to the Greek army and the Greek soldiers, who made the fights with this kind of bayonet. 

Regards

D. 

Edited by zuluwar2006

Hey Demitrios, I thought you told me the blades with a "Star" were Turkish?

3 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Hey Demitrios, I thought you told me the blades with a "Star" were Turkish?

Nope, no 1903 bayonet for Greek manlicher were Turkish, ever... 

Oops , Sorry Daddy D', my screw up

Oops , Sorry Daddy D', my screw up

Was not sure if messg ( sent)

• 2 weeks later...

Guns and armor used by Greek army during ww1

wwi_greek_weapons_and_evzone_soldier_by_andreasilva60_dd6l55l-pre.jpg

A Greek soldier with a gras bayonet during 1890

H5883-L175071142.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great bayonets Steve and great photographs there D - I have been really busy the last month so my first reply here!

And quite agree - these ones, Steve, are the Italian ones made for Greece after WW1. The original stock of the long ones (actually Y 1914's) were made by Simson but not delivered to Greece and seized by Germany in August for use by Bavarian troops becoming the S.14, griechische Bajonett or S.14 griechische Modell. Have a look at https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/210221-greek-ww1-bayonets-the-y-19031914/

Julian

About gras rifle in Greek army.

The Gras rifle is an example of military equipment that reached legendary status in Modern Greece. Despite the fact that it could fire only one shot at a time, its robustness and lethality made it a favourite weapon of guerilla fighters for 70 years, from the local revolts against the Ottoman Empire to the resistance against the Germans. In fact, the name "Grades" (Γκράδες) entered the Greek language to represent all kinds of rifles and was used in this manner until a few decades ago. The name "gradia" (γκραδιά) meant the shot of a Gras. Also, weak students and people that were not intelligent were often called "Grades" (Γκράδες). The colourised photo above shows guards of a Greek monastery in Mount Athos after having repelled Bulgarian invaders (1913). Some are possibly monks and there is one Gendarme among them. The front row, from left to right, carry Gras rifle, Gras cavalry carbine, two Gras musketoons and Gras rifle, while all three at the back carry Gras rifles.

Monks1913.png

Great photograph! I have the feeling that the single shot Gras had - and still has! - the same regard in Hellenic folk history, poetry, and song, as the single shot 'Peabody-Martini' has in Turkey!

56 minutes ago, trajan said:

Great photograph! I have the feeling that the single shot Gras had - and still has! - the same regard in Hellenic folk history, poetry, and song, as the single shot 'Peabody-Martini' has in Turkey!

Julian,

as always you are correct.

Regards

D.

A studio portrait with Greek officers from ww1, the one is holding a gras bayonet.

Regards

D.

s-l1600 (53).jpg

A Greek soldier on Crete before the invasion of german army, May 1941. He is carrying a manlicher bayonet long model 1903/14.

hez-2492207.jpg

Second Balkan War 1912 - 1913,

Turkish prisoners (foreground) rounded up by Greek soldiers and uncommissioned officers, who keep guard with rifle and bayonet for manlicher rifle (short and long version)

(Photo by Paul Popper/Popperfoto via Getty Images/Getty Images)

gettyimages-82138702-2048x2048.jpg

That 1903/14 looks like the ones I have\ posted, only I have no scabbard's 

2 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

That 1903/14 looks like the ones I have\ posted, only I have no scabbard's 

Steve

You are correct. 

About scabbards for Greek bayonets, that is equal as price to the bayonet itself. 

Very rare to meet a bayonet with its scabbard. 

Also we have see scabbards from authentic Greek 1903 or 1903/1914 manlicher (long version) bayonets, to have use on Ww1 ersatz Greek conversion bayonets for Bavaria. 

Regards

D. 

A group of Greek soldiers on posed attack, during winter 1940 on the boards of Greece with Albania.

They all carry bayonets manlicher 1903/14 (long version). 

main-qimg-4fa490707f325f68251b2338c9593e1e.jpeg

I have had a standard 74' Gras bayonet for my Kynoch rifle a long time. About 5 min ago, I just bought this one for my Greek Y1903, needed one, and I just love the condition of this one, could not resist!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

43 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

I have had a standard 74' Gras bayonet for my Kynoch rifle a long time. About 5 min ago, I just bought this one for my Greek Y1903, needed one, and I just love the condition of this one, could not resist!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excellent Steve, wonderful bayonet in extremely nice condition... 

Yep, a good find - nice and clean! Most of those I see over here are converts for the Mannlicher and not this nice...

Thank's for the kind word's D' and Julian

The letter's. E. And. S. On the front/ face of my Steyr bayonet, are those specific Steyr plant or some kind of block/ batch code? Go you have any idea?

Batch or inspection codes I guess. Incidentally, I have never seen one with an OE/WG mark on the spine before! Oh, and also, the serial numbering between the rivets is classic Greek-style.

It really is a nice piece - but it won't fit your Mannlicher Y1903! This is a side-mounted bayonet for fixing to the bar on the barrel. For your Y.1903 you need either one of the purpose-made knife bayonets (Y 1903); or the Italian-made Y 1914; or one of the many Gras modified with a raised muzzle-ring. Have a look at https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/176148-wwi-greek-bayonets/?tab=comments#comment-1714165 post 14.

Julian