Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Does the registration number show it is German? It appears to be a RHD vehicle.

Back in November, one of the posters stated that the vehicle registration was German, and I understand the transporter is a Mercedes.

LF

Does the registration number show it is German? It appears to be a RHD vehicle.

Here is a list of German vehicle license plate identification letters and numbers used between 1906 - 1918. The license plate shown on the aircraft transporter in post # 1473 ' I A ' corresponds with the German vehicle license plate used in Berlin between 1906 - 1918.

Preußen Kaiserlicher Fuhrpark (1906?-1918), Kaiser, Kronprinz

I A

Landespolizeibezirk Berlin

I B

Grenzmark Posen-Westpreußen (1922-1938)

I C

Provinz Ostpreußen

I D

Provinz Westpreußen (bis 1922)

I E

Provinz Brandenburg

I H

Provinz Pommern

I K

Provinz Ober- und Niederschlesien

I L

Regierungsbezirk Sigmaringen

I M

Provinz Sachsen

I P

Provinz Schleswig-Holstein

I S

Provinz Hannover

I T

Provinz Hessen-Nassau

I X

Provinz Westfalen

I Y

Provinz Posen (bis 1922)

I Y

Regierungsbezirk Düsseldorf (ab 1928)

I Z

restliche Rheinprovinz (bis 1928 gesamte Rheinprovinz)

LF

post-63666-0-38045500-1394715861_thumb.j

A right hand drive vehicle being used by the Germans would not be unusual. The Austro-Hungarian empire drove on the left and hence had right hand drive. When the A-H empire was broken up the countrys that resulted (Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and many of the Balkan states) continued the drive on the left rule. This continued until Hitler moved in on those countries.

With reference to post # 1459 and Lt. Col. J.T.C. Moore-Brabazon, the inventor of the Type A Thornton Pickard Aerial Camera.
Apart from inventing this important aerial camera used so successfully and effectively in aerial reconnaissance, John Moore-Brabazon had an extremely interesting life.
Born in London on 8th February 1884, the younger son of Lt. Col. J.A.H. Moore-Brabazon, John was educated at Harrow School, and then spent some time at Trinity College Cambridge.
Having a strong interest in motor cars, he spent his holidays working as mechanic for Charles S. Rolls ( later of Rolls Royce fame ), and went on to become a successful racing driver. As well as his love of fast cars, John also became interested in flying, and in 1908, whilst in France, he learned to fly.
On 2nd May, 1909 John Moore-Brabazon flying a ' Voisin ' aircraft, became the first Englishman to make an officially recognized aeroplane flight ( piloting a heavier-than-air machine under power ) in England at Shellbeach on the Isle of Sheppey.
Shellbeach became a hub for the emerging aircraft industry, and John Moore-Brabazon's friends, the Short brothers, Oswald, Horace and Eustace Short, who had been building balloons at their factory in Battersea, opened a new large factory on the Isle of Sheppey where they were to expand their business into aircraft manufacture, other visitors to Shellbeach also included the Wright brothers and many other early aircraft pioneers.
John Moore-Brabazon, having an obvious sense of humour, and in response to that famous British retort " pigs might fly ", he placed a piglet in a basket, strapped the basket to his open cockpit, and took the piglet aloft with him, with a note attached to the basket stating that " I am the first pig to fly ".
On 8th March 1910, John Moore-Brabazon became the first person to qualify for a British Pilot's License and was issued with Aviator's Certificate No.1 by the Royal Aero Club.
In 1910, following the tragic death of his good friend Charles Rolls in an air crash, John ceased flying.
However, upon the outbreak of WW1 John Moore-Brabazon joined the Royal Flying Corps ( RFC ) as a pilot and served on the Western Front, where he played a key role in the development of aerial photography and aerial reconnaissance, which ultimately led to his designing the Type A Aerial Camera.
John Moore-Brabazon ended the war as a Lt. Colonel. and was awarded the Military Cross, and was also made a Commander of the French Legion d'honneur.
After WW1 John Moore-Brabazon became a Conservative Member of Parliament for the Chatham division of Rochester, and from 1931-42 was the MP for Wallasey. During WW2 he also served as Minister of Transport and later as Minister of Aircraft Production in Churchill's wartime government.
After WW2 John Moore-Brabazon retained his keen interest in flying becoming President of the Royal Aero Club, President of the Royal Institution, and Chairman of the Air Registration Board. In 1949, the Bristol Aeroplane Company named their new Trans-Atlantic Airliner, the Bristol ' Brabazon ' after John Moore-Brabazon.
In 1942 he was made a Peer, becoming Lord Brabazon of Tara.

John Moore-Brabazon, M.C., died in Surrey on 17th May, 1964.

LF

Two photograph's of John Moore-Brabazon's 1909 Voisin aircraft named ' Bird of Passage '

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-93234400-1394800886_thumb.j

post-63666-0-46818600-1394800917_thumb.j

John Moore-Brabazon was the first person to hold a British Pilot's License, and on 8th March 1910 he was issued Aviator's Certificate No.1 by the Royal Aero Club of the United Kingdom.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-95287300-1394801308_thumb.j

John Moore-Brabazon's close friend Charles S. Rolls, of Rolls-Royce fame, seen here driving a Rolls-Royce with passengers Wilbur and Orville Wright sitting in the back seat during a visit to Shellbeach, Isle of Sheppey.

Charles Rolls was killed in a plane crash in 1910.

LF

post-63666-0-67508400-1394801708_thumb.j

John Moore-Brabazon, with the first pig to fly.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-68566000-1394802085_thumb.j

The Bristol ' Brabazon ' airliner.

LF

post-63666-0-44469400-1394802367_thumb.j

With reference to post # 1471 -

In late 1918, the 4th Army Headquarters were in a heavily camouflaged train positioned outside the village of Honnechy in the Nord-Pas-du-Calais region of Northern France. The use of a camouflaged train was unusual, and this is the only photograph I have seen of such a train.

The area around Honnechy was the scene of fierce fighting during the Battle of Le Cateau, and Honnechy was also the location of one of the last British cavalry actions of WW1.

Attached is a photo of the 4th Army's camouflaged train headquarters, and also an account of the British cavalry action at Honnechy on 9th October, 1918.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-33762900-1394886680_thumb.j

Account of one of the last British cavalry actions of WW1 - Honnechy, 9th October 1918.

LF

" At 1.50 a.m. on the 9th October orders were received that the Brigade was to concentrate near Genève at 7 o'clock. After a difficult march across country, cut up trenches and wire, the Regiment arrived at Beaurevoir. At 8.35, news having arrived that the infantry were east of Maretz and had lost touch with the enemy, the Brigade advanced at a trot, with the Royals leading. The 10th Hussars followed the Royals, throwing out a flank guard of one squadron to the right. On the left was the Canadian Cavalry Brigade.

At Maretz the brigade came under fire from the direction of Honnechy and Escaufort, and the advanced squadron of the Royals were held up short of the former place. The shelling now became so heavy that the Brigade was withdrawn behind the Maretz-Busigny road at 12.5 p.m.

Meanwhile the Brigade Commander had gone forward to make a reconnaisance. While thus engaged he met the Brigade Major of the Infantry, who informed him that the men were exhausted, and that strong enemy forces were in and around Honnechy. Therefore it had been decided to make no further advance until next day.

A conference was now held between the General Officer commanding 3rd Cavalry Division and the commanders of the 6th and 7th Cavalry Brigades. The Canadian Cavalry Brigade reported that they could not advance further unless Honnechy and Reumont were captured. In view of the situation, it was decided that the 6th Cavalry Brigade should take these places and push onto the ridge west of Le Cateau. For this operation the Inniskilling Dragoons from the 7th Cavalry Brigade, were attached, orders being issued to advance at 2 p.m.

The plan was that the Royals were to attack Honnechy and Maurois, mounted, from the West. The 10th Hussars were to follow the Royals. The 3rd Dragoon Guards were to assault Honnechy from the south-west, with the Inniskilling Dragoons in support. The latter were also ordered to form a defensive flank facing Escaufort.

At 2.10 the Regiment and the Royals moved forward simultaneously. As the 3rd Dragoon Guards left the starting-point, north of Busigny, they came under heavy enfilade fire from Escaufort. "A" squadron ( Captain N.K. Worthington, M.C.) formed the advanced guard, being followed by Regimental Headquarters, "B" squadron (Captain H.P. Holt), and "C" (Captain A.B.P.L. Vincent, M.C.). The ground was fairly suitable for cavalry, and the Regiment galloped for about two miles in squadron column, extended, before coming to a brook at the bottom of the hill. Despite a bad take-off and fairly heavy shell fire, not a single horse refused. A Staff Officer who was present described this advance as the finest thing he had seen in the war.

As the regiments passed through, the infantry rose with a cheer and followed in support. Shortly after crossing the brook each squadron had to close in to pass under a railway bridge. This was a trying moment, since they were under heavy machine gun fire, and mines were plainly visible under the bridge. Having surmounted this obstacle, the squadrons again opened out and galloped into Honnechy, immediately seizing the orchards to the east of the village. The place was under heavy fire which caused many casualties to men and horses....

Although the whole action occupied only a few hours, the casualties were considerable. Lt V. Oakley-Brown was killed, Lt E.A.L. Kittle killed of wounds, and Lt Col C. L. Rome, DSO, Capt H. P. Holt and Lt B.H. Osmaston were wounded. 2 other ranks were killed and 27 wounded, while 90 horses were lost.... "

Usually, we see the 13 pdr. Anti-Aircraft Gun mounted on either a Thornycroft or Peerless chassis, in this scarce photo, the British Anti-Aircraft Guns have been mounted on converted LGOC B Type London Bus chassis.

LF

post-63666-0-29473700-1394970882_thumb.j

Did the pig get an observer certificate or did it become lunch? :devilgrin::whistle:

Probably not immediately, as being the first pig to fly it was famous, but ultimately, I am sure it became bacon and pork chops.

LF

The AA guns are 13-pdr, 6-cwt Mk IIIs on the Mark 1 mount so this is a relatively early configuration. The interesting part of the photo for me is the mudguard. It's the only occasion, apart from the Mk IV AA gun that my Grandfather was on, I've seen this type. It's attached by a hinge to the top of the side so, when the side is lowered, the mudguard can be flipped over and moved right out of the way without the use of a spanner.

Keith

Photographed in Italy, this photo shows a nice example of the Vauxhall D Type open tourer Army Staff Car fitted with solid metal wheels.

The Vauxhall D Type, designed by Lawrence Pomeroy, was first introduced in 1913, and had a 25 h.p. 4 litre 4-cylinder side valve engine.

The Vauxhall D Type was one of the most popular Staff Cars of WW1, and was a particular favourite of senior officers who did not qualify for the Rolls Royce Staff Car.

This Staff Car has a ' Diamond ' divisional insignia affixed both to the windscreen and the door, which was used by the 48th Division ?

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-22915300-1395060606_thumb.j

Any idea what the vehicle behind is? Seems it has a windscreen and a style of cab that was still used in the 1960's?

Any idea what the vehicle behind is? Seems it has a windscreen and a style of cab that was still used in the 1960's?

Which photo, and which post ?

LF

The interesting part of the photo for me is the mudguard.

Keith,

Back in December, I posted a photograph ( copy attached ) of a B Type London bus chassis being used by the Royal Navy Division, which was mounted with a Hotchkiss Gun.

This is a much clearer photograph of the B Type chassis, and that chassis may have those same type of mudguards.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-68418800-1395073549_thumb.j

Thanks, LF, but that photo does not show the same mudguards, In fact, the Hotchkiss gun has been installed in an unusual and, I think, potentially unstable fashion. If you look again at the other photo you will see that the back wheel pokes through the platform while this one sits well below it. The difference is that the conventional way of fitting a platform is to fasten baulks of timber to the chassis and sit the platform on those. Presumably because the recoil forces would break such an arrangement, the norm for the 6-cwt and later mobile AA guns was to fasten the mount to a thick steel base-plate and fasten that directly to the lorry's chassis members. The lack of the baulks means the associated platforms sit several inches lower and the back wheels of every type of lorry I've seen used have to come through slots because there's no clearance for them underneath.

The 9-cwt, Thorneycroft lorry at the IWM has mudguards that are fastened to the platform, a deep set for travelling and a shallow one for when the lorry is stationary and 'in action'. These must have been a pain to use and a trip hazard anyway. The mudguards I mean are physically much larger. They were made from thin steel sheet and formed a box with one large side and one end open. A hinge was used to fasten it to the side-board of the platform so that the open side would sit against the woodwork and the open end would fit over the wheel.

The side-boards were laid flat when the gun was 'in action' to provide extra room for the five men working up there. As the board came down, the guard came with it. A quick flip and the mudguard would hang under the board out of the way. You can see the bracing strip across the open face of the larger side, which I guess would stop some of the rattles. The wheel protrudes slightly above the platform but it doesn't seem to have bothered the gunners.

Keith

The side-boards were laid flat when the gun was 'in action' to provide extra room for the five men working up there. As the board came down, the guard came with it.

Keith,

As you say, a rare rear mudguard configuration and the only photo of such I have seen so far.

Regards,

LF

Three Despatch Riders on Triumph 550 rear-wheel belt drive motorcycles, one rider brandishing a Webley Mark VI service revolver!

LF

post-63666-0-50423900-1395147589_thumb.j

It is a car behind not a lorry. I took the back of it to be the front! The back still looks like a lorry cab though!.