Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

My apologies, its a Standard.

Phil,

The Standard looks a good match as Standard used that same front wheel arch/mudguard configuration, and also the radiator/grill looks to match. Unfortunately, the badge on the front of the radiator cannot be made out, and should be a ' Union Jack ', do you have any idea of the model ? I have only found the Standard ' Cheltenham ' and the ' Rhyl ', and neither match johnboy's photo exactly.

Regards,

LF

Two nice photos of an RAF Leyland A Type lorry and its crew, in one of the photos with the bonnet open, we have a rare view of the Leyland A Type's engine.

LF

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-89303300-1395663060_thumb.j

An RAF Leyland A Type 3 Ton Lorry with solid metal wheels, and its crew.

LF

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-99168800-1395663341_thumb.j

Phil,

The Standard looks a good match as Standard used that same front wheel arch/mudguard configuration, and also the radiator/grill looks to match. Unfortunately, the badge on the front of the radiator cannot be made out, and should be a ' Union Jack ', do you have any idea of the model ? I have only found the Standard ' Cheltenham ' and the ' Rhyl ', and neither match johnboy's photo exactly.

Regards,

LF

Its probably a 20 HP but I can't find a picture to compare.

Hi

LF hopefully you will pick this up,

in post #1502 you posted a picture of a Military Policeman checking papers. Would it be possible for you to blow up the shoulder title of this chap, the titles appear to be crescent shaped and not the usual flat variety. I was wondering if these were a personalised /altered variety of title or perhaps he may not be Military Police although the rest of the uniform, equipment and armband would be consistent with one.

Many thanks

Dave

in post #1502 you posted a picture of a Military Policeman checking papers. Would it be possible for you to blow up the shoulder title of this chap, the titles appear to be crescent shaped and not the usual flat variety.

Dave,

Unfortunately trying to enlarge the photo just distorts it, here is a little better detail of the soldier who is described in the caption as a ' Military Policeman '. The shoulder title looks to be 2 part, with a ' device ' above the metal title strip.

The photo was taken in Arras on 13th September, 1917.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-97751100-1395694661_thumb.j

Its probably a 20 HP but I can't find a picture to compare.

Phil,

Here is a Standard 20 hp ' Cheltenham '.

The cargo vehicles in johnboy's photo were probably a special military specification order placed with Standard based on the 20 hp chassis, with minimal bodywork and a small open cargo container fitted on the back.

LF

post-63666-0-82637200-1395749992_thumb.j

Cars galore

London and the Zeppelin airships and then in 1917 with long range Gotha bombers.The british were the first to develop anti- aircraft defences,combining early warning systems,guns, searchlights and fighters.also this Police car with an air-raid warning notice.

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-79941700-1395762050_thumb.j

Brief details of the Gotha Bomber

Engines X2 Mercedes 260 hp

Span 77ft.9''

Length 40ft.6''

most important Range 522 miles(840km)

Crew 3

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-15258900-1395762961_thumb.j

Another shot of the Gotha Gv.

Crimson Rambler

post-89740-0-47980300-1395763218_thumb.j

LF

many thanks for your assistance with the photo, I'd say that due to the shoulder title and lack of rank he's not RMP so perhaps Regimental Police.

Best regards

Dave

LF

many thanks for your assistance with the photo, I'd say that due to the shoulder title and lack of rank he's not RMP so perhaps Regimental Police.

Best regards

Dave

Dave,

Pleased to help, and here is a photo of an MP with German prisoners taken at Grevillers, 1918.

Regards,

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-08889300-1395772749_thumb.j

Phil,

Here is a Standard 20 hp ' Cheltenham '.

The cargo vehicles in johnboy's photo were probably a special military specification order placed with Standard based on the 20 hp chassis, with minimal bodywork and a small open cargo container fitted on the back.

LF

That type of bodywork is known as a 'float'.

That type of bodywork is known as a 'float'.

Phil,

Many thanks for the information, good to know that type of bodywork is known as a ' float '.

Regards,

LF

Police car with an air-raid warning notice.

Excellent photograph, and I assume the ' SC ' on the headlamp stood for ' Special Constable '. Also of note, are the tyre treads.

Not all Constables were fortunate to have a motorcar, others made the rounds on a bicycle to sound the ' Take Cover/All Clear '.

I also saw a report of Police vehicles touring the area to sound the ' All Clear ', which was signalled by the blowing of a bugle, often blown by a Boy Scout standing in the back of the motorcar, attached is a painting of the ' All Clear ' being sounded.

Regards,

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-07755600-1395842124_thumb.j

post-63666-0-22270600-1395842246_thumb.j

The London Police Commissioner's Notice regarding air raid warnings, published 19th July, 1917.

LF

post-63666-0-35662600-1395858036_thumb.j

Two photos of a superbly made and highly detailed model of a 13 pdr Anti-Aircraft Gun mounted on a Thornycroft J Type Lorry, which is part of the Imperial War Museum's scale model collection.

LF

IWM45255 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-60111500-1395924818_thumb.j

post-63666-0-97757500-1395924831_thumb.j

It shows the 'in action' mudguards fitted, which are on the equivalent at Duxford. In photos showing the alternatives, used for travelling, the design is quite different. They are deeper and the ends are tapered. I've seen some that were screwed down and others that used buckles and leather straps!

I don't think the shallower type was necessary. Many photos show the men working with nothing over the gap for the tyre and some, like those my Grandfather worked with and the 'B' Type bus chassis you posted a few days ago had nothing similar in any case. IMO, I think the mudguard illustrated was more likely to be a trip-hazard than nothing at all. When the balloon went up, the last thing you could do was watch your feet!

Keith

Re post #1543

The Thornycroft model was given to the IWM when the Museum passed its full size J Type with AA gun to Thornycrofts at Basingstoke for a museum they were creating. This was part of the downsizing when the Museum left the Crystal Palace site and moved to smaller premises in South Kensington - all pre Lambeth days. The J Type at Basingstoke ended up being disposed of by Thornycrofts after WW2 and passed through several ownerships before it was purchased by the Museum in the mid 1980's. Its identity was confirmed as being the same vehicle when the chassis number was found during restoration. The J type is now on display at the IWM Duxford after being in London for many years. It ran in the Historic Commercial Vehicle Society's London to Brighton Run in May 1987 and took the cup for the best pre 1920 vehicle

Mike

Re post #1543

The Thornycroft model was given to the IWM when the Museum passed its full size J Type with AA gun to Thornycrofts at Basingstoke for a museum they were creating.

Mike

Mike,

Many thanks for the very interesting information and history of this model, which explains the high quality workmanship and great detail of this model, which was presumably made by Thornycroft's own craftsmen using original drawings.

Regards,

LF