Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Driving an ambulance on the Western Front was extremely dangerous, and many of the young American volunteers were killed in action.

Here, is a photograph of a shelled American volunteer ambulance.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-83805600-1396196883_thumb.j

American Field Service volunteer ambulances at the Front.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-02458000-1396197095_thumb.j

post-63666-0-25553600-1396197113_thumb.j

Military funerals for 2 of the many American AFS volunteers killed in action.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-97199400-1396198697_thumb.j

post-63666-0-40796000-1396198711_thumb.j

Do you know the meaning of SSU 12?

Flags of two of the American volunteer ambulance units of the AFS, S.S.U. 1 and S.S.U. 8.

LF

post-63666-0-06250600-1396199648_thumb.j

post-63666-0-24854900-1396199660_thumb.j

Back in 1996/7, Britains ( the toy soldier maker ) produced a Limited Edition model of a Thornycroft J Type Lorry mounted with a 13 pdr Anti-Aircraft Gun complete with crew figures.

The set was only available for one year, and sold out.

It still comes up for sale, and for an excellent example complete with its original box, the price has risen substantially from the original sale price to 200/300 pounds.

LF

post-63666-0-03549200-1396262904_thumb.j

An RAMC ( Royal Army Medical Corps ) Captain and Nurses on deck of one of the large French canal barges which were adapted as ' Ambulances ' to smoothly transport wounded troops from close to the Front to inland hospitals using the extensive French canal system, something not always easy to do using motor ambulances on damaged or dangerous roads.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-15648000-1396354558_thumb.j

The interior of an Ambulance Barge, showing how the barge's spacious interior was adapted to provide medical care for wounded troops being transported from the Front to inland hospitals using the extensive French canal system.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-47689200-1396354833_thumb.j

Back in 1996/7, Britains ( the toy soldier maker ) produced a Limited Edition model of a Thornycroft J Type Lorry mounted with a 13 pdr Anti-Aircraft Gun complete with crew figures.

The set was only available for one year, and sold out.

It still comes up for sale, and for an excellent example complete with its original box, the price has risen substantially from the original sale price to 200/300 pounds.

LF

Excellent photograph LF! Because I get dragged away by a parallel passion for model trains, this has still never made it into my collection of things Britains but when I saw the posting it did make me smile because somewhere I have a letter from Britains Ltd written in the late 1960's I recall. They very politely replied to my written request to them to consider making some soldiers set in the period of the 1st World War. I seem to think I was about 12 yrs old at the time. Their reply noted my interest but said that whilst the company had no plans to produce such figures at that time, they would bear the matter in mind. They certainly got round to it eventually!!

David

in the late 1960's I recall. They very politely replied to my written request to them to consider making some soldiers set in the period of the 1st World War. I seem to think I was about 12 yrs old at the time. Their reply noted my interest but said that whilst the company had no plans to produce such figures at that time, they would bear the matter in mind. They certainly got round to it eventually!!

David

David,

A great story, and that Thornycroft Lorry was just one a group of WW1 models they produced at that time, which also included a Clyno Motorcycle & Machine Gun combination and a RN Armoured Car, plus several others.

I cannot recall what I paid for my Thornycroft Lorry back then, I just know that it was far less than the 200/300 pounds they fetch today.

Regards,

LF

I wish I could have any Britians toys on my shelf! Had them as a kid in the 80's so the tale end of the war models they done. I had a 18 pdr gun and the german version. Both very apt at firing matchsticks :devilgrin:

Now having seen the size of canals in F&F, one can appreciate the siaze of the barges. Some what diffirent to our canal barges.

I wish I could have any Britians toys on my shelf! Had them as a kid in the 80's so the tale end of the war models they done. I had a 18 pdr gun and the german version. Both very apt at firing matchsticks :devilgrin:

Now having seen the size of canals in F&F, one can appreciate the siaze of the barges. Some what diffirent to our canal barges.

I keep in touch with a fellow O gauge train enthusiast and he too lives on a narrowboat, and somehow has quite a nice collection of O gauge trains squirrelled away on it - I've seen some of his pictures. Taking this as your example, I feel sure you can now collect away and fill the hidden corners of the boat with Britains! The 155mm might be a bit of a handful!

David

A convoy of RNAS Armoured Car Division Lanchester Armoured Cars along with their crews, parked in Hammersmith, London.

The photo also gives us some good details of the Lanchesters, and the uniforms and kit worn by the RNAS Officer and his men.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-11803100-1396440208_thumb.j

A coloured postcard showing King George V inspecting RNAS Officers, this shows us the two types of uniforms used by the RNAS, both the Navy blue and the Army khaki.

LF

post-63666-0-10862900-1396456308_thumb.j

1916_Royal Navy Armoured Car Division on the Russia

post-108859-0-41447000-1396524987_thumb.

post-108859-0-03276400-1396525004_thumb.

The ambulance Austin Halftrack with a mover of Kegresse. Russia. 1916.

post-108859-0-16080500-1396525711_thumb.

Not seen one of those before. I wonder how effective it was in the snow. Not sure the 'skis' would be that good.

76.2 mm gun Lender-Tarnowski to the truck chassis Russo-Baltique T 40/65. Russia. 1915.

post-108859-0-26349500-1396526873_thumb.

Not seen one of those before. I wonder how effective it was in the snow. Not sure the 'skis' would be that good.

post-108859-0-57320700-1396527646_thumb.

post-108859-0-51820700-1396527667_thumb.

post-108859-0-80243000-1396527925_thumb.

1916_Royal Navy Armoured Car Division on the Russia

An excellent set of photographs, many thanks for sharing them.

Regards,

LF

Staying with the Russian theme, here are photos showing that the American Harley Davidson motorcycle was not only used on the Western Front, but also found its way to the Eastern Front for use by Russian troops.

LF

post-63666-0-94503000-1396531062_thumb.j

It is interesting to note, that on the Harley Davidson motorcycle shown in post # 1596, snow skis/runners have been fitted to the back of the motorcycle.

LF

post-63666-0-50143700-1396542992_thumb.j

Like many types of weapons, heavy bombers appeared during the First World war. The first of these planes, Russian became the “Ilya Muromets”...

Birthday of long-range aviation, and not only Russian, you can read 10 December 1914. This day was formed squadron of air ships of the four-engine bombers С-22 “Ilya Muromets”. It was the first time in the world such a connection. And “Ilya Muromets” is first long-range bomber - the forerunner of all subsequent “flying fortresses”.
The Creator of this superb machine - the great Russian aircraft designer Igor Sikorsky. It was his idea to create a multi-engined aircraft, and it is exactly this idea implemented, although many considered it impossible.

There is a version that the idea of creating a multi-engined aircraft came from Igor Sikorsky, ordinary mosquito. In 1911 he was almost killed in due stalled in-flight engine. The reason was the mosquito trapped in the carburettor. The designer decided that for increase of flight safety, the power plant of the aircraft must be duplicated.
In the spring of 1912 Igor Ivanovich began to design the first in the history of world aviation heavy multi-engined car. According to plans of the designer of the aircraft ought to have a comfortable cabin crew cabins for passengers, access to the engine in flight. The flight duration was 10 hours. The possibility of creation of such a plane, no one believed and designer planned to build it on the money that was going to win the next contest of military airplanes. But the new aircraft was still on the money of Russian Baltic carriage plant whose Chairman, Mavritsky has estimated all “bonuses” in case of success of the enterprise...
on March 4, 1912 fully ready airplane, named the “Grand” was prepared for the challenges. Originally the aircraft was equipped with two engines “Argus” As.2. Ensuring that the two engine along the sides of the fuselage do not cause problems with the control of aircraft, the designer added a couple behind already available with the pusher propellers. The plane was renamed “the Great Baltic”, and in June 1913 the aircraft was “Russian Vityaz”. In July, the designer has changed locations engines: now four engine “Argus” were placed along the front edge of the wing. This scheme has become a classic for multi-engined aircraft.

“Russian Vityaz, made a splash. Amazed and its size and comfort for passengers. Salon for 10 passengers were connected with recreation room equipped with a sofa. There was a toilet, borrowed from the railway workers. There were electric lights, and even curtains on the Windows...

The tests were extremely successful. Was happy and designer and numerous high-ranking passengers. And the end of the test laid absurd accident. In September 1913 on a regular competition airplanes from one aircraft in flight has come off the engine. And the huge airfield this big pig was chosen as a target wing “Russian knight”... Sikorski did not restore the damaged plane, his plans have been more perfect machine...

post-108859-0-30645100-1396603521_thumb.

post-108859-0-87380600-1396603533_thumb.

post-108859-0-57943400-1396603543_thumb.