Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service on Gallipoli

bobpike

Frederick Ingall, killed with the Royal Irish Fusiliers in November 1916 having served on the Peninsula with 9th Notts & Derby.

Details here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Small-Town-Great-War-Hucknall-1914-1918/117600881609310#!/notes/small-town-great-war-hucknall-1914-1918/frederick-ingall-lord-kitchener-gallipoli-15th-november-1915/303123856373025.

A few more –

Almond W-Pte LancsFus 1-Auchonvillers MC 2D7

Anderton GEA-Lt-Lancs Fus -att 119MGC-Arras Mem 05

Andrews AN-Cpl-NZEF-NZFA-Trois Arbres Cem 1S33

Angel E-L/C-NZEF-Maori-Ramparts Cem J2

Armour RM-Pte-KOSB-1/5-Zantvoorde BC 1G11

Armstrong H-Pte AIF 6-Menin Gate 35

Arthur-Worsop FH-Pte-NZEF-NZAMC-Euston Rd Cem 3C10

I have two for you:

Arthur Leslie 2320, 3rd Australian Field Artillery Brigade. Served in Gallipoli for one month. Killed 30 Sept 1918.

George Edward Millen 181, A Coy, 25th Battalion, AIF. Killed on the Somme August 1916.

You can get their service records from : http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/

Paul

You might want to check out: www.adoptadigger.org as I'm sure many Diggers listed on here served in Gallipoli and then on the Western Front.

Paul

There is an interesting one from 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters -

12419 Private John Ryan was wounded on Gallipoli with 9th Bn. The Derbyshire Mercury of 8th October 1915 has an entry referring to this.

on 14th December 1916 John Ryan and Joseph Blake are listed as being killed (stay with me)

12419 Private John Ryan commemorated on Thiepval Memorial - 14 December 1916 - 1st Bn Sherwoods.

12419 Private Joseph Blake died of wounds and buried - 14 December 1916 - 1st Bn Sherwoods

John Ryan has ONLY the 15 star, whilst Joseph Blake has VM and BWM.

Theory (of fact in my case) Both men served together in Boer War and J Ryan was killed in 1901. Joseph Blake either went awol or deserted. 1914 comes along and he wants to join up - John Ryan joins 9th Bn. After being wounded and returning to UK, the 1901 episode comes to light and he is sent to France under his real name. Somehow the paperwork gets mixed up and we end up with both men being listed. Either that or we have one hell of a coincidence. (I have reserahced this pair for about 7 years and have all the paperwork!)

Steve M

One family that always intrigued me were the Manns, i did a little bit of research on them,[ which i have since misplaced!!] , off the top of my head, they were a strong military family who lived in London and Suffolk, and served in the boar war, there were 5 brothers, 4 of whom died in the war, and 1 who rose to lt colonel or possibly above.

My main interest was because they were in the 6th Loyal North Lancs, my great uncle Stewart Casson was killed at Chocolate Hill on Nov 27th, and is buried in the Greenhill Cemetary Suvla Bay. Upon a visit to to Galipolli i took pictures of the grave of Captain Horatio Gordon Mann's grave, who was killed with his brother, 2nd Lt Horace Walpole Mann, both killed on August 10th on Chunuk Bair, [which my Uncle Survived!!], a 3rd brother Neville Swire Mann was adjudant, and survived only to be killed on 10th April 1916, in the attack on Falahiyeh in Mesoptania, [a further footnote, whilst searching my Uncles history , i have a copy of the LNL war diary for Nov1915 and it is written by Major N.S .Mann!!]

A fourth brother, Eugene Henry Mann [although i'm not 100% sure of this] died in France. If anyone could give me any more information on them i would be greatful, i have done a bit of reseach to see where their relations are now, but not being an expert couldn't find any, maybe the line ended with them,

Thanks to all

Gary

Thank you Gary, most interesting. On CWGC the Manns are listed as three brothers, there are no parental details and there is no mention of a fourth. There is, however, a Eugene H W Mann a private in the Hampshire Regiment listed. CWGC lists his parents. If he is their brother perhaps Census details can confirm this. I hope someone can!

Bob

Gazcas

My great uncle was also lost on August 10th 1915 as per my signature. Do you have any details about specifically what happened to your uncles on the day itself?

Gazcas

My great uncle was also lost on August 10th 1915 as per my signature. Do you have any details about specifically what happened to your uncles on the day itself?

Unfortunately no, he was killed on Nov 27th , along with 11 others, the war diary states, shelled very heavilly from all quarters, 11 killed, 21 wounded.

I would love to see the diary dates for Aug 10th if anyone has them?

gary

Thank you Gary, most interesting. On CWGC the Manns are listed as three brothers, there are no parental details and there is no mention of a fourth. There is, however, a Eugene H W Mann a private in the Hampshire Regiment listed. CWGC lists his parents. If he is their brother perhaps Census details can confirm this. I hope someone can!

Bob

I think their father was Horace Mann, and their mother Mina, there are some records of them in the boar war, i would presume they must have been quite wealthy, and find it strange i could not trace them beyond the end of the war, having said that i am no expert!!

This seems to be the only Eugene Henry -

Name: MANN, EUGENE HENRY WILLIAM

Initials: E H W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/11/1914

Service No: 6238

Additional information: Son of Mary Ann Sophia Mann, of 83, Eastfield St., Stepney, London, and the late Jacob Mann.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 6.

Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Colonist, Volume LVII, Issue 14214, 12 October 1916, Page 4

Mrs S. Kinzett, of Tapawera, has received word that her son Leonard John died of wounds on September 26th. In the official list the rank of lance-corporal is given. Corporal Kinzett left New Zealand with the Main Body as a mounted man. In Egypt he transferred to the infantry. He took part in the landing at Gallipoli, and served eight months on the Peninsula, coming through unscathed, though he lost his three section mates. He was later invalided to England, and went to France about four months ago. He was a single man. and prior to enlisting was farming with his brother at Tapawera.

AWMM Cenotaph

7/221 Leonard John Kinzett

26 September 1916 DOW

Colonist, Volume LX, Issue 14568, 21 November 1917, Page 5

News has been received that Corporal Leslie L. Israel has died of wounds at the Third Australian clearing station in France. He was a son of Mr E. A. Israel, of the Gisborne Post Office, and formerly stationed in this city. The deceased was a prominent member of St. John's Methodist Bible Class, and a playing member of the Nelson football team. He enlisted with the Main Body in the Mounted Rifles, but was rejected. He afterwards went with the Reinforcements and served in the Gallipoli campaign, and was at the withdrawal. He accompanied the Main Body to France. For some time he was an instructor at Sling Camp. At the time of enlistment he was employed in Messrs Neale and Haddow's office. His only brother, Lieutenant Aubrey Israel, recently wounded, is still with the Forces.

6/2170 Leslie Lambert Israel

Belgium

DATE OF DEATH

5 October 1917

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

Portrait, Auckland Weekly News 1917

Private W. J. Joynt, who is reported to have died of wounds, was the youngest of three brothers serving at the front, sons of Mr and Mrs J. W. Joynt, of Hope. He left New Zealand with the Fourth Reinforcements, and was wounded at Gallipoli. He was on the staff of the Bank of Australasia at Ashburton, and was 19 years of age when he enlisted, and he died the day after his twenty-second birthday. At the time of his death he was attached to the Ambulance Corps as a stretcher-bearer.

6/1892 William John Joynt

Belgium

DATE OF DEATH

14 October 1917

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

brother of Thomas Shury 7/1369 and Frank Dennis 51656.

News has been received by mail regarding the death in France of Sergeant Hugh Frederick Owen, son of Mrs E. Owen, of Russell street, Nelson, who voluntarily enlisted and went with the 12th Regiment of the Main Body. He served at Gallipoli and in Egypt, and twice returned to the front after being wounded. After being removed to France he was again wounded, and was sent to hospital in England. He could have remained in England after, being wounded for the third time, but insisted on continuing his work as a sergeant at the fighting front. In a letter received from Lieutenant F. G. Matthews it is stated that Sergeant Owen was an energetic and fearless leader, and was killed by shell on August 8 th. After a night of heavy fighting a shell burst through the parapet and struck him on the head, and he died without recovering consciousness before reaching the hospital. Private W. Hounsell, a Nelson boy, has also written to the deceased's mother a thoughtful letter, saying that her son was much respected by the men, and that he died from a shell wound while in the hands of the ambulance party. Private Hounsell also shows that great care was taken over the burial and the marking of the grave.

6/318 Hugh Frederick Owen

Belgium

DATE OF DEATH

8 August 1917

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

Second Lieutenant James Leslie Green, who was killed in action on October 12th, was a son of Mr Charles Green, of Pokororo. He left New Zealand with the Main Body as a private, and saw service at Gallipoli, where he contracted bronchitis, and was invalided to England. On recovering he acted as instructor at Sling Camp for about twelve months, and had an opportunity of returning to New Zealand for a commission, but preferred to go to France, where he gained his lieutenancy. Prior to enlistment he was engaged in sheepfarming with his brother at Pokororo. Deceased, who was 28 years of age, was a splendid athlete. He won the last cycle road race from Nelson to Belgrove and also competed in the Now Zealand road race. On the voyage Home he won a boxing tournament on the troopship, receiving a gold medal, which is now in his father's possession. His brother Arthur, who left New Zealand with the Fourteenth Reinforcements, is serving in France.

AWMM Ceno

James Leslie Green

12 October 1917

AGE AT DEATH

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

MEMORIAL NAME

€ Tyne Cot Memorial, Tyne Cot Cemetery, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

€ Ngatimoti War Memorial, Tasman District, New Zealand

N.Z. Apse, Panel 2.

"Second-Lieutenant J. L. Green, killed in action on October 12, was the second son of Mr. Chas. Green, of Motueka, Nelson, and nephew of Mr. George Green, of Thames. Lieutenant Green sailed with the main body. He served in Egypt and Gallipoli as corporal and gained his commission in England. He was 25 years of age, and was well known in New Zealand cycle-racing circles." (Auckland Weekly News, 1 November 1917, p.

Feilding Star, Volume XIV, Issue 3452, 24 January 1918, Page 2

News has been received of the death in action in France of Sapper Jack Gorton, youngest son of the late Colonel Gorton, of this district. When the war broke out he was farming in the Argentine. He immediately proceeded to England and enlisted serving right through the Gallipoli campaign .where he was severely wounded. Later, he was sent to the western front. After a service much longer than the average, he has made the supreme sacrifice.

AWMM Ceno

4/212B Edward St George Gorton British Section, NZEF, New Zealand Engineers

CAUSE OF DEATH

Killed in action

CEMETERY NAME

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium

GRAVE REFERENCE

IV.A.22.

€ Son of Lieutenant Colonel Edward and Nora M.S. Gorton, of Feilding.

€ "Was farming in the Argentine when war broke out, but decided to give it up and sail for England, where he enlisted with the New Zealanders. He was right through the Gallipoli campaign and received a severe wound, but on recovery returned to the front and later proceeded to France, where he was killed in action on January 11th, 1918. The evening before his death he received instructions to leave for a commission in England, but asked permission to go out and finish a job he had not completed. While doing this he was instantly killed by a shell. He was in the Engineers and very keen on his work. Had he been a little less so he would in all probability be alive today." (In Memoriam, 1914-1918 [Wanganui Collegiate School])

News has been received that Corporal Leslie L. Israel has died of wounds at the Third Australian clearing station in France. He was a son of Mr E. A. Israel, of the Gisborne Post Office, and formerly stationed in this city. The deceased was a prominent member of St. John's Methodist Bible Class, and a playing member of the Nelson football team. He enlisted with the Main Body in the Mounted Rifles, but was rejected. He afterwards went with the Reinforcements and served in the Gallipoli campaign, and was at the withdrawal. He accompanied the Main Body to France. For some time he was an instructor at Sling Camp. At the time of enlistment he was employed in Messrs Neale and Haddow's office. His only brother, Lieutenant Aubrey Israel, recently wounded, is still with the Forces.

6/2170 Leslie Lambert Israel

Belgium

DATE OF DEATH

5 October 1917

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

Private W. J. Joynt, who is reported to have died of wounds, was the youngest of three brothers serving at the front, sons of Mr and Mrs J. W. Joynt, of Hope. He left New Zealand with the Fourth Reinforcements, and was wounded at Gallipoli. He was on the staff of the Bank of Australasia at Ashburton, and was 19 years of age when he enlisted, and he died the day after his twenty-second birthday. At the time of his death he was attached to the Ambulance Corps as a stretcher-bearer.

6/1892 William John Joynt

Belgium

DATE OF DEATH

14 October 1917

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

brother of Thomas Shury 7/1369 and Frank Dennis 51656.

News has been received by mail regarding the death in France of Sergeant Hugh Frederick Owen, son of Mrs E. Owen, of Russell street, Nelson, who voluntarily enlisted and went with the 12th Regiment of the Main Body. He served at Gallipoli and in Egypt, and twice returned to the front after being wounded. After being removed to France he was again wounded, and was sent to hospital in England. He could have remained in England after, being wounded for the third time, but insisted on continuing his work as a sergeant at the fighting front. In a letter received from Lieutenant F. G. Matthews it is stated that Sergeant Owen was an energetic and fearless leader, and was killed by shell on August 8 th. After a night of heavy fighting a shell burst through the parapet and struck him on the head, and he died without recovering consciousness before reaching the hospital. Private W. Hounsell, a Nelson boy, has also written to the deceased's mother a thoughtful letter, saying that her son was much respected by the men, and that he died from a shell wound while in the hands of the ambulance party. Private Hounsell also shows that great care was taken over the burial and the marking of the grave.

6/318 Hugh Frederick Owen

Belgium

DATE OF DEATH

8 August 1917

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

Second Lieutenant James Leslie Green, who was killed in action on October 12th, was a son of Mr Charles Green, of Pokororo. He left New Zealand with the Main Body as a private, and saw service at Gallipoli, where he contracted bronchitis, and was invalided to England. On recovering he acted as instructor at Sling Camp for about twelve months, and had an opportunity of returning to New Zealand for a commission, but preferred to go to France, where he gained his lieutenancy. Prior to enlistment he was engaged in sheepfarming with his brother at Pokororo. Deceased, who was 28 years of age, was a splendid athlete. He won the last cycle road race from Nelson to Belgrove and also competed in the Now Zealand road race. On the voyage Home he won a boxing tournament on the troopship, receiving a gold medal, which is now in his father's possession. His brother Arthur, who left New Zealand with the Fourteenth Reinforcements, is serving in France.

AWMM Ceno

James Leslie Green

12 October 1917

AGE AT DEATH

YEAR OF DEATH

CAUSE OF DEATH

Died of wounds

MEMORIAL NAME

€ Tyne Cot Memorial, Tyne Cot Cemetery, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

€ Ngatimoti War Memorial, Tasman District, New Zealand

N.Z. Apse, Panel 2.

"Second-Lieutenant J. L. Green, killed in action on October 12, was the second son of Mr. Chas. Green, of Motueka, Nelson, and nephew of Mr. George Green, of Thames. Lieutenant Green sailed with the main body. He served in Egypt and Gallipoli as corporal and gained his commission in England. He was 25 years of age, and was well known in New Zealand cycle-racing circles." (Auckland Weekly News, 1 November 1917, p.

Feilding Star, Volume XIV, Issue 3452, 24 January 1918, Page 2

News has been received of the death in action in France of Sapper Jack Gorton, youngest son of the late Colonel Gorton, of this district. When the war broke out he was farming in the Argentine. He immediately proceeded to England and enlisted serving right through the Gallipoli campaign .where he was severely wounded. Later, he was sent to the western front. After a service much longer than the average, he has made the supreme sacrifice.

AWMM Ceno

4/212B Edward St George Gorton British Section, NZEF, New Zealand Engineers

CAUSE OF DEATH

Killed in action

CEMETERY NAME

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium

GRAVE REFERENCE

IV.A.22.

€ Son of Lieutenant Colonel Edward and Nora M.S. Gorton, of Feilding.

€ "Was farming in the Argentine when war broke out, but decided to give it up and sail for England, where he enlisted with the New Zealanders. He was right through the Gallipoli campaign and received a severe wound, but on recovery returned to the front and later proceeded to France, where he was killed in action on January 11th, 1918. The evening before his death he received instructions to leave for a commission in England, but asked permission to go out and finish a job he had not completed. While doing this he was instantly killed by a shell. He was in the Engineers and very keen on his work. Had he been a little less so he would in all probability be alive today." (In Memoriam, 1914-1918 [Wanganui Collegiate School])

Bob: Here is another one: Patrick Delaney, 9364, First Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers, DOW received at Gheluvelt date of

death 28/9/1918

:hypocrite: It might be a good idea to have some help with this project get a volunteer to do seperate battalions of individual

Regiments.

Cheers

momsirish

Bob

It has been going through the CWGC system fo a while now! He is off course commemorated anyway (or buried) so not high on the list of things to do.

Another man (boy) -

25793 Private James Walters served with 9th Bn Sherwoods on Gallipoli. When they moved to France on 1 July 1916, men were loaned out to other Regiments.

On the 18/19th July some 200 men of the 9th Bn moved to 8th South Staffs to make up numbers. Private Walters was one of them. He was 16 and his Mum was in the process of getting him out of the army. On 9th August 1916 the 8th South Staffs relieved the border regt in trenches and at 4am a report came in that two Platoons were buried in a trench which had been hit hard by Minnenwerfers - 13 OR's killed 47 wounded and 5 missing. Young James was one of the killed and he is buried at Delville Wood Cemetery. His headstone wrongly states 17 years old (this will be changed one day)

One more -

12958 Private Fred Edmonds was wounded at Suvla Bay whilst with 9th Bn. He was sent to France at some stage after recovering and died with the 1st Bn Sherwoods on 7/7/1916 and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial. Fred had been groundsman for Derby County FC for 9 years previous to the war.

Steve M

Try Alexander Aitkin's From Gallipoli to the Somme, OUP 1963.

I remember browsing through it, and one thing in particular caught my eye....the constant foot note references to Kiwi comrades of the author who served on the Peninsula, survived, and were subsequently killed on the Western Front.

There was no summary of numbers, but the appalling repetition - in bracketts or footnotes - of the fate of these men made an impression on me. I daresay it might be valid as a source for extrapolation.

Phil (PJA)

Momsirish, Steve and Phil,

Many thanks for all the information, I will take all on board. I have Aitkin, so that's a start and I will look forward to browsing. As for volunteers that would be great if anyone fancies it,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

CRABB, GEORGE Serjeant

Essex Regiment 1st/4th Bn. (173)

27/11/1915

Husband of Ada A. Crabb. of Brewery Cottage, Lindsey St., Epping.

Epping Cem B:U:6

CRABB, WILLIAM ROGER Private

4th. Essex Regiment (200146)

26/03/1917

Brother of Walter Crabb, of Beaulah Cottages, Lindsey St., Epping, Essex.

Jerusalem Mem 33-9