Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW CDrom look-ups offered

Anthony Bagshaw

Hello Anthony, could you please lookup

Captain Hugh Fraser Brigstocke of the "Kings own Scottish Borders" 7th/8th Battalion KIA 09/01/1917

What I would really like to know is his palce of birth and enlistment. This for his family, they have not been able to find him in any census.

Thankyou Melissa.

Hello Anthony, could you please lookup

Captain Hugh Fraser Brigstocke of the "Kings own Scottish Borders" 7th/8th Battalion KIA 09/01/1917

What I would really like to know is his palce of birth and enlistment. This for his family, they have not been able to find him in any census.

Hi Melissa,

Re your request - don't know if Anthony can help you, SDGW covers Other Ranks, I think there is a separate disc for officers. I have the KOSB SDGW book - he (or any other officer) is not mentioned.

However, I have just searched the NA catalogue and found that the service papers of BRIGSTOCKE H F, Lieut, are filed under WO 339/3405 (covering dates 1914-1917; 1929). It is possible to request this (for a fee, unfortunately) from the NA. You may be able to find someone from the forum to do it for free if they are visiting the NA - ask in the "I'm going to the NA" section - you don't always get lucky, it depends how busy people are going to be doing their own stuff.

I don't know what an officer's record will cover, maybe not place of birth, but it will give date (and place?) of enlistment.

Capt. Brigstocke is mentioned twice in 'The K.O.S.B. in the Great War', including the tragic circumstances of his death; however, I'm sure the family will know all about that.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Thankyou Stuart,

I did not realise that the officers had their own disk. It was just that I knew the men on this disk sometimes had a place of birth as well as enlistment. The people researching this man and his brother have just had a terrible experience a pay site. I did look at the National archives and saw that Captain Hugh Fraser Brigstoke(Kings Own Scottish Borders) and his brother Second Lieutenant William Osborne Brigstoke (Royal Field Artillery Special Reserve) medal cards were there.

I did not see the service papers bit.

I will go and look at the bits you mentioned and contact the family. They might want to have a go at getting the service papers or joining this forum, once they get over their last experience.

Thankyou Melissa.

Hi Melissa,

The Officers Died CD is part of the Soldiers Died one.

Unfortunately for Officers there is no place of birth, enlistment or residence.

The only info available is regiment,name,rank,battalion,date of death etc.

Regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony, thankyou for your reply.

It is a shame that the officers information is different from the enlisted men, I think is really handy to know where all soldiers enlisted and where they were born.

Even to confirm that you are looking at exactly your soldier. I have suggested to the family to look at the service papers on National Archives, you never know they may be lucky.

Melissa.

Guest John Lewis

Hi Anthony,

Could you please look up the following for me......

Pte Ernest Bennett, 23443

1st Btn, Hamphire Regiment

Died 22 April 1918

Stoker 1st Class James John Casbolt, SS/106198

Hood Battalion, Royal Navy Division

Died 20 May 1915

Many thanks

John Lewis

• 1 year later...
Will,

John Akister Born and Enlisted Ulverston KIA

Albert Askew Enlisted Ulverston KIA

Matthew,

William Batisti Balaam Born Deptford, Enlisted London, Lived Hammersmith, Formerly 4458 9th Londons, KIA

William Blebta Enlisted Clapham Junction, Lived Battersea, SDGW shows Died

John William Bygreavs, Born Enfield Wash, Enlisted Southend, Lived Great Wakering, Formerly 24652 Essex Regt, KIA

Arthur William Francetti Born,Enlisted, Lived Birmingham, Formerly 20414 Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, KIA

A J Heitzmann, Enlisted Bury St Edmunds, Lived Camberwell, Formerly 23457 Suffolk Regt, KIA

A A Kuch, Born Bow, Enlisted Oxford Street, Lived Plaistow, Formerly 4222 9th Londons, KIA

W H Mancktelow, Born Ramsgate, Enlisted Clapham Junction, Lived Tooting, KIA

A Mothersele Born Dagenham, Enlisted Grays, Lived Orsett, Formerly 26394 Essex Regt, KIA

W A Uglow, Enlisted Clapham Junction, Lived Woodford KIA

H Zabiela Enlisted London, Lived Pimlico, Formerly 3257 2nd Londons KIA

Sorry for the late replies guys!!

I came across this website whilst researching my family and thank Matthew (WestKent78) and Anthony for choosing one of my ancestor's name as a "not the run of the mill" which lead me here. This is a highly significant website and helps us remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I should be grateful if Anthony could search for other Francetti's on the CD. The forenames I have found vary from census to census and the birth, death, marriage websites - I suppose because of integration.

Thank you kindly,

David Francetti

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anthony, sorry - don't know how big a request this is, so please feel free to turn it down with a clear conscience.

I have started a project to research the war dead of RAPC and its antecedent corps. I have th book "Officers who died in the great war" and that lists all the APD (officers only in there) with 8 names listed and would be grateful for a cross check to see if that agrees with the CD.

Also if possible, I would like the names from the APC and the Corps of Mil Accts (if any!).

I can PM you my email if it is easier.

• 2 months later...
I have got the Soldiers Died CD which includes Officers died and am offering to look up details of soldiers/officers.

If anyone wants a look up just post here.

Cheers

Hi Anthony

I have just found your offer of look ups, would you please have a look for my Great Grandfather Samuel Whiteley, service number 30103. He died at Poepcapplle 9th October 1917. He has a memorial at Tyne Cot as per the CWGC. He was in the 2nd/6th Lancashire Fusiliers.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Regards

Leanne

I have got the Soldiers Died CD which includes Officers died and am offering to look up details of soldiers/officers.

Cheers

Anthony,

My SDGW has disapeared from home, so would you mind looking up a William Robert Bowen, remembered on the Cheslyn Hay War Memorial, Staffs possibly linked to the South Staffs Regiment.

Many thanks

Jon

Can you leave these with me for a little while?

Apologies if you have not received a reply, i must have missed them somehow.

Cheers

Can you leave these with me for a little while?

Apologies if you have not received a reply, i must have missed them somehow.

Cheers

Thanks very much Anthony, please take as long as you need.

Regards

Leanne

no one of this name

Anthony,

My SDGW has disapeared from home, so would you mind looking up a William Robert Bowen, remembered on the Cheslyn Hay War Memorial, Staffs possibly linked to the South Staffs Regiment.

Many thanks

Jon

Born Bury, Lancs

enlisted Bury

KIA

Hi Anthony

I have just found your offer of look ups, would you please have a look for my Great Grandfather Samuel Whiteley, service number 30103. He died at Poepcapplle 9th October 1917. He has a memorial at Tyne Cot as per the CWGC. He was in the 2nd/6th Lancashire Fusiliers.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Regards

Leanne

Thank you Anthony and Coldstreamer.

Jon

Medal card of Bowen, William R

Corps Regiment No Rank

South Staffordshire Regiment 19870 Private

This him ?

You coud check the ancestory site........

Excuse me for being thick, but how do I do this?

Jon

only thick if you dont ask - I found best results using surname and number

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...p;gst=&so=3

Spoons, there are 146, let me know if you still want them.

Cheers

Hi Leanne,

Sorry it's taken a while:

Samuel Whiteley: Born: Bury, Enlisted Bury- Killed In Action

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hi Anthony,

if possible could you look up my Great Uncle:

Pte Ralph Gair 203219

1/4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Killed 26/10/1917 at Ypres

many thanks .... toffo

Born Byker,

enlisted Newcastle

shown as died

Tofo,

Wasn't me, ian did this one