Bringing the thread 'back to life'

Anthony

I'd be obliged if you could do a look up on the following:

LCpl J.E. Branson 202853 Royal Bekshire Regt - Died 7/4/1918

&

Gunner Henry Howard Knight 208032 Royal Garrison Artillery - Died 23/5/18

Many thanks Will

Will,

202853 L/Cpl James Edward Branson, 2/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment, Born Abingdon Enlisted Reading, Lived Abingdon, Died of Wounds 7/4/18

208032 Gunner Henry Howard Knight not listed

Regards

Will,

apologies.

Gunner Knight, listed as Henry Edward Knight, Born Lyston Leicester, Enlisted Leicester, Died Home 23/5/18

Will,

No problem, any more just let me know!! :D

Anthony

Having only recently joined the forum I'm unable to refuse your kind offer.

I am trying to find out about my Great Grandfather, I only know what I've seen the cwgc site, here are his details

Pte Frederick William Sweet 34476

106th coy Machine Gun Corps

formerly 6764 Gloucestershire Regiment

Died 7/03/1917

Mentioned on the Thiepval Memorial (no known grave)

I hope you can tell me more.

Many thanks

Tim

Anthony

Having only recently joined the forum I'm unable to refuse your kind offer.

I am trying to find out about my Great Grandfather, I only know what I've seen the cwgc site, here are his details

Pte Frederick William Sweet 34476

106th coy Machine Gun Corps

formerly 6764 Gloucestershire Regiment

Died 7/03/1917

Mentioned on the Thiepval Memorial (no known grave)

I hope you can tell me more.

Many thanks

Tim

Tim,

Welcome!

34476 Pte Frederick William Sweet, Machine Gun Corps, Born Bristol, Enlisted Bristol, Killed In Action, 7/3/17, Formerly 6764 Gloucestershire Regiment.

Hope this helps??? :rolleyes:

Hi just wanted to ask if I could get a name looked up his name and details are:

Lance-Serjeant Eric James Bate 55146

A Company

Central Ontario Regiment

19th Battalion

Canadian Expeditionary Forces

Was just seeing and wondering if the SDGW has anything on him if was just curious to know what they have to say on him. What the SDGW stand for is it anything like the CWGC? Can these look ups only be done by cd and how do you go about getting one? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Drafter

Drafter,

Unfortunately men of the Canadian army are not listed in SDGW. SDGW stands for Soldiers Died in the Great War which lists men of the British Army who were killed, died etc from 1914-19, Although there are many mistakes.

SDGW can show where a soldier enlisted, lived and was born.

You can get a copy of the cd from The Naval and Military Press website, it isn't cheap though. When i bought mine it cost £258 and now there is an improved version out.

Hope this helps, sorry your man isn't listed.

Thanks for the lookup I appreciate that. Didn't know that it stood for that. Even though Eric was in the Canadian Army and was born in England does the SDGW show even where he lived and where born? I already know that but was just curious. Does the SDGW show only those that served in the british armed forces that were born in britian is that correct? Thanks again for the lookup looks like I can eliminate that idea now.

When the SDGW CD was made did they only put those on the CD that were born in the UK like in Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England is that how it works?

When the SDGW CD was made did they only put those on the CD that were born in the UK like in Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England is that how it works?

Drafter,

not necessarily. It lists men who died whilst serving with the British army, whether they were born in York or New York.

There are quite a few soldiers who were born abroad but are listed by SDGW due to the fact that they served with a British Regiment.

Hope this helps?

I see even though if a soldier was born in the UK or outside of the UK they went to serve in the british army and are shown on the SDGW. Now I got it this does certainly help thanks again.

Bumping the topic back up again!!

• 1 month later...
Bumping the topic back up again!!

Hi, Anthony

Could you please lookup;

C E Harvey, Rifleman 2113 London Regiment KIA 16/05/1915

and

C E Harvey, Private 24934 The King's(Liverpool Regiment) KIA 14/01/1916

We would like to know which one(?) was Christopher Edwin Harvey from East London. And any other details. His family in NZ would be chuffed - Thankyou NZMel ......

NZMel,

2113 Rifleman Christopher Edwin Harvey, 17th London Regiment, Born Upton Park, Enlisted Bow, KIA 16/5/15

Hope this helps!!

NZMel,

2113 Rifleman Christopher Edwin Harvey, 17th London Regiment, Born Upton Park, Enlisted Bow, KIA 16/5/15

Hope this helps!!

Thankyou Anthony, I will show his family the detail, I am sure he is the one they are looking for. I hope he was the only one with that name that was recruited from London. Thakyou so much ...

Anthony,

having helped me before, I'm coming back for more info.

I'm not sure that it's possible but was anyone from 17/West Yorkshire Reg. killed on 7/03/1917 ?

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

One casualty listed:

41551 Pte Thomas Davis, Enlisted Skipton, Enlisted Gargrave, KIA

Anthony,

could i please impose on you to look up my grandfathers brothers and see what info you can glean on them please on your SDGW cd?

William GRAINGER Private 7195. 1st Royal Bucks Regt,

George GRAINGER Driver 25089, RFA,

thanking you in anticipation,

regards,

Scottie.

Hi Anthony,

I have a slightly different request that I hope you will be able to help me with.

From the war diary of the 7th (1/7th) Royal Scots, there were 10 soldiers who died of wounds during November 1917. Would it be possible for you to give me the names of these men (or as many as you can locate) and their dates of death? I am trying to narrow down the possible dates on which they could of received their wounds.

If one of the men found is Pte. David Callander, could you give me his full entry please (there is a discrepancy on his date of death between the two other sources that I have).

Hope you can help.

Cheers,

Stuart