Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

As this has been up for nearly a week with no takers, I will give it another 24 hours then reveal the answer, which I thought was fairly obvious (so

no further clues),and let someone else have a go.

I would hate to think that this thread, which has given both instruction and pleasure, has reached the end of its natural life.

cheers Martin B

Martin, I expect it's just that a lot of clever people are on holiday. A week's nothing in the life of a classic thread, surely: I've got one running that's been dormant for about six weeks but I have every intention of returning to it.

I am crushed by your comments that it's so easy and obvious as I haven't a clue. But then, I have never been to any of these WW1 places (shocking admission). Couldn't you give us another clue? French connection to the Siegfried line produced the free association Maginot in my mind, but it's too late.

Liz

You've got me stumped Martin!

As a wild stab in the dark, are you anywhere near Metz?

sorry -- what seems obvious to me may not be to others.

Something should spring to mind with the Siegfried line reference. From there it's a bilingual pun

cheers Martin B

Normally got an idea and odd correct answer but clueless on this one!?? Do not think it is a lack of interest but of brains!

Tony

Not lack of interest....just lack of knowledge!

Bruce

ok, I'll leave it on a bit longer. I'm currently helping out in the regional Agence France-Presse office in Cyprus, doing the night shift and

wading in copy from Libya. The GWF helps to keep me sane.

cheers Martin B

sorry -- what seems obvious to me may not be to others.

Something should spring to mind with the Siegfried line reference. From there it's a bilingual pun

Would we be hanging out the washing? If so, I think the answer must be Le Linge in the Vosges.

As Martin is evidently still sleeping off his night shift, I'm going to make the rash presumption that my answer is correct and put up a new one in a similar vein.

What is the name of this cemetery and which London square does it call to mind?

post-11021-0-42660600-1314365042.jpg

Mick is correct, well done -- for those whose French is a bit rusty, the French for washing is linge, and Le Linge is a hill top position in the Vosges which has been well-preserved and is definitely worth a visit

cheers Martin B

edit: whoops, forgot

Did a nightingale sing in the square in WW2, Mick?

You're very warm, Liz. Does that sound impertinent? If I were a younger man, you might call the cops.

That's a clue, by the way, not a suggestion ... :D

Well, Mick, if I were a younger woman...

I had to look up that clue as I never saw the Berkeley Square cop show!

Anyway, I nominate Berks Cemetery Extension in Belgium, where some of 'my' Yeoman Riflemen who died at Ploegsteert Wood are buried, among many others of course - though I have not been there yet.

Liz

I had to look up that clue as I never saw the Berkeley Square cop show!

I didn't know there was one! The clue consists not so much of puns as 'sounds likes', and I'm afraid your answer is in the wrong country. As a bird, though, you're right on song (now that really does sound impertinent) ... :D

Ah well, I've probably misinterpreted a quick google - there was something in 1998 - anyway now I know I'm in the wrong country, I give up. Maybe there's a Barclay cemetery somewhere.

Or a Nightingale...

Ah.

France.

Rossignol Wood?

Where do the cops come in?

Well done, Liz — Rossignol Wood it is. Rossignol means Nightingale, hence Berkeley Square. And Ernst Jünger (younger) wrote a book about his experiences around Rossignol Wood called Copse 125.

Over to you for the next one ...

Well, your last clue was very generous, Mick, whereas the one before confused me completely as I have never heard of this book (showing my ignorance again). In the spirit of keeping the thread going I'll give you another of my much less elegant and less cryptic riddles, and it's monolingual too. Not up to the standards of you and Martin at all but it might give others hope!

I am standing in the cloisters looking at a memorial which includes the names of twin brothers, who could be connected with Richard Hannay.

Where am I, what is the memorial and who are the brothers?

Liz

PS I liked Martin's audio reward.

Could you possibly be looking at the Arras Memorial in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery? The twin brothers being John and James Buchan.

Andy

Could you possibly be looking at the Arras Memorial in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery? The twin brothers being John and James Buchan.

Andy

Hi Andy

No - but your interpretation of the Richard Hannay clue is very reasonable! The name of the twins is not Buchan; they have the same kind of connection to Buchan as Hannay (only of course they are not fictional).

The word 'cloisters' is important here.

Liz

Hi Andy

No - but your interpretation of the Richard Hannay clue is very reasonable! The name of the twins is not Buchan; they have the same kind of connection to Buchan as Hannay (only of course they are not fictional).

The word 'cloisters' is important here.

Liz

Well if not "Buchan", what about "Ironside" (Hannay possibly being modelled on Edmund Ironside)? 39 Ironsides on the CWGC Roll of Honour - but cannot immediately identify any twins.

Cloister - could imply cathedral (therefore possibly UK), but would you argue that the two "side bays" at Tyne Cot are "cloisters"?

David

You're right, David, it does imply cathedral.

The Hannay connection is not quite as direct as your Ironside guess. Buchan is someone they all have in common.

Liz

You are at Canterbury Cathedral!

The twins are Francis Octavius and Riversdale Grenfell. Francis was awarded the V.C. at Mons in 1914.

Andy

Yes I am !

And I was yesterday, with another GWF member Chalk, who's a guide there, looking at the 9th Lancers memorial in the cloisters.

Buchan wrote a memoir of the twins. Btw Riversdale's second name was Nonus - it was a large family.

Your go, Andy.

Liz

Out of sight of the tower this is the last resting place of possibly the only 'tangerine' to be killed in action.

Andy