Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

Nope. Grand Couronne is right and the ocular connection is the OP on top, The Devil's Eye. Lake Doiran is also correct and is to my north, as I wrote in Post 797.

Keith.

Still no takers? The answer was Doiran Memorial on Colonial Hill. At the foot of the hill is Doiran British Cemetery. Doiran, now Star (Old) Doiran, is just over the border in Macedonia.

Who's next?

Keith

Let's try this one -

I'm looking at a WW1 memorial. I am equidistant (approximately) from numbers 1, 16 and 32.

Anybody? I'll give another clue shortly...

No - not Thiepval. Not Europe in fact...

Nope - we are back in the New World.

And millions of people pass very close to here every year, but I doubt many come to this spot

Well done Mr Fayers - the DC WW1 memorial, that lies roughly in a triangle formed by the Washington (1st president) Memorial, the Lincoln (16th) Memorial and the FDR (32nd) Memorial. I would guess it is the least known of the memorials in the National Mall. There is (I believe) a campaign to make it the national WW1 memorial.

Over to you...

Men from Kent remembered a battle that took place in 1914 near here, but I would think it's well off the beaten track for most of us to see it.

What cemetery am I standing in?

Crepy-en-Valois Communal Cemetery ?

Tom

Stanley Cemetery, East Falkland?

Stanley Cemetery, East Falkland?

Spot on! A memorial in the cemetery was erected by men of HMS Kent commemorating those who died during the Battle of the Falkland Islands in December 1914.

The ball is now in your court Croonaert! :thumbsup:

OK, then... here's one which features in a talk I'm presenting for a WFA branch in the next week or so ...

I'm in some corner of a foreign field that is forever.... America (and France, and Sweden, and Switzerland, and Spain, , and Italy ,and Russia, etc etc.... though primarily America!)

I shouldn't really be here without permission or wihout being on one of the official bi-annual 'open days' and ,though personal/individual visits here usually result in a blind eye being turned, further venturing could lead to me finding myself in a lot of trouble (if not physical danger).

A rather poignant inscription asks me to remember that the men buried here 'died in their youth or in their prime so that future generations might inherit a happier world and human society more righteous and more loving than these brave men and their generation knew'.

Dave

Nope ... most definately located in an outside location (and some distance from any building... the nearest (habitable) building being just over a mile and a quarter away).

A further clue? ...

Though not so noticable in my immediate vicinity, if I were to risk arrest (or getting shot or run over!) and venture a little further east or north of my location, I'd come across what may be some of the most superb 'natural state' WW1 trench systems remaining on the whole Western front.

The trenches in my immediate vicinity were the 1915 German frontline positions named (by the French) as the Boy. des Huns, Boy.de Saxe and the Boy.de Baviere. The place I am was practically built on top of the Ouvrage d'Ulm. When it was once again a frontline position (Summer of 1918), the Boy.des Huns was renamed - to Boy.de la Martinique in collaboration with the two neighbouring woods which were also named after African locations. Further down the road to the south west (half mile) where another interesting - if unusual- cemetery is now located, another African link could once be found... this was the location of a 1915 French frontline PC named 'Casablanca'.

Is it on the Army land round Suippes way,Dave?

Yes Dave. I'm just inside the perimeter of the Camp de Suippes (and near enough to an (unmanned) entrance to play dumb or make a run for it if need be!)... where specifically though?

(last clue of the day...

the nearest cemetery (which ISN'T the answer) that is located practically on the site of 'PC Casablanca' is named theatrically due to a feature in the layout of the land at this spot.

Le monument de la Légion Etrangère H. FARNSWORTH, Souain

With help from 59165 getting the right area and google earth for letting me look closely at it .

Al

It is , indeed, the necropole nationale called 'Cimetière de la Légion' near Souain (its actually officially an ossuaire isolé but that's just getting picky :lol: ). Final resting place of (amongst others) 24 year old Harvard graduate 11280 Sdt.2e Cl.Henry Wilson Farnsworth of Dedham near Boston who was killed near here on 28th September 1915 whilst serving with the 2nd Regiment de Marche of the 1st Regiment Etranger. His parents funded the construction of the cemetery and dedicated a memorial to their son and his comrades at the same location in 1921. (There's also a Farnsworth room at the library at Harvard named in Henry's honour).

Over to you I think

Dave

(PS before anyone asks - the 'theatrically named' cemetery nearby that was in the area of 'PC Casablanca' is called 'L'Opera' and the other two African references other than 'PC Casablanca' were the 'bois du Cameroun' and the 'Bois du Togoland')

Yes Dave. I'm just inside the perimeter of the Camp de Suippes (and near enough to an (unmanned) entrance to play dumb or make a run for it if need be!)... where specifically though?

(last clue of the day...

the nearest cemetery (which ISN'T the answer) that is located practically on the site of 'PC Casablanca' is named theatrically due to a feature in the layout of the land at this spot.

Bliss!

I thought it wasn't Meuse/Argonne etc. but,I know the Suippes area a bit.I have a lad's letters home from the 14/15 time frame & he died there.He was from our town(Aniche).

That area would be a walk & a half if I could get permission...........

That area would be a walk & a half if I could get permission...........

very unlikely to get permission as an individual, Dave (I've tried for a while - and failed (hence the 'little' trespass!)). However, get yourself on one of the bi-annual bus tours (every other September) which takes you through some of the main sites...certainly worth the wait!

Dave

Another place where you need permission to visit.

Named after the person who captured it.

Entrances at both ends, depending who "owned" it at the time.

Also used in WW2.