>><<

go searching in the belgian sector, a dead end

I'm thinking of Martial while I am climing stairs

where am I?

dead end as in "never again"?

stairs as in "tower"?

IJzertoren?

David

I'm really surprised and a bit disappointed that none of you knew the location in my post at 842. It is Albert Cemetery.

Dead end, I see the answer as Dodengang, stairs, I see as the church tower in Stuivenskerke.

However I think David has it.

I visited the Ijzertor in May, an excellent place from the initial walk through the trenches to the view from the roof and all in between.

A very special place to all Flemish people.

Al

dead end as in a street that ends

stairs in a ruine of a tower

no picture coming this time

yes you are spot on it's over to you now

I'm really surprised and a bit disappointed that none of you knew the location in my post at 842. It is Albert Cemetery.

I hadn't a clue. Do you have a more modern photo ? In my ignorance I'd thought the one posted just after by Ian was an "answer" and not a new question !

Can I have a go now?

I'm in an English country churchyard. Of the men listed on the memorial I'm looking at, half are buried in said churchyard. The list is topped by a man who was one in three.

where am I?

cheers Martin B

I'm in an English country churchyard. Of the men listed on the memorial I'm looking at, half are buried in said churchyard. The list is topped by a man who was one in three.

where am I?

cheers Martin B

Just bumping this up as no replies yet. If you're still floundering I'll post another clue or two this evening

cheers Martin B

Hmm, looks like you're either all on holiday, uninterested or stuck.

Three more clues:

By name as well as location this place is fairly elevated

The 'man who was one in three' was pre-eminent in another related category

There is also a Nelsonian connotation

Good luck

Martin B

St John's, High Cross ?

Hmm, looks like you're either all on holiday, uninterested or stuck.

Three more clues:

By name as well as location this place is fairly elevated

The 'man who was one in three' was pre-eminent in another related category

There is also a Nelsonian connotation

Good luck

Martin B

I arrived at High Cross via Martin Leake VC and Bar as one of the three, but Steve seems to be there first

Ian

I'm still awaiting Martin's confirmation but Ian seems to agree, so here's another cryptic question:

" Seen to be taken from the name of the site of this early encounter, reveals a lt.colonel who fought there, whose name would later command a French Army".....WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE VILLAGE ?

Second clue:

"Another commander of a regiment who fought there shares the family name of another French General but of WW2"

St John's, High Cross ?

Sorry to have kept you waiting but afraid it's not the right answer. The place is much further north than Hertfordshire. Another clue -- there is also a cricketing connotation

cheers Martin B

I'll withdraw my question then and let's try and get to the bottom of Martin's puzzle !

I thought for a moment I'd been given the answer to Martin's riddle by a very interesting recent thread here - three brothers named Hood (Nelsonian) with a cricketing father in a churchyard in Lincolnshire (definitely north of Hertfordshire and if Lincolnshire's a bit low-lying, well, it wouldn't be hard to be slightly elevated ...

But the churchyard is Nettleham (All Saints), which contains no hint of elevation in its name, and I don't know about the other clue either, so I guess all that is coincidence!

Too cryptic for me.

Liz

EDIT It was a dud thought anyway as there were four Hood brothers, it seems.

I do really seem to have flummoxed a few people.

Well, here are a few more clues, ending with one that should enable you to crack it. If not I'll post the answer tomorrow as others may be wanting to post a new puzzler

There are four names on the memorial.

The eminent person who heads the list is not one of those buried in the churchyard, though he knew it well.

The Nelsonian connotation is osculatory

cheers Martin B

I do really seem to have flummoxed a few people.

Well, here are a few more clues, ending with one that should enable you to crack it. If not I'll post the answer tomorrow as others may be wanting to post a new puzzler

There are four names on the memorial.

The eminent person who heads the list is not one of those buried in the churchyard, though he knew it well.

The Nelsonian connotation is osculatory

cheers Martin B

Chorlton-Cum-Hardy :rolleyes:

Chorlton-Cum-Hardy :rolleyes:

not quite Myrtle, but you're getting closer geographically and nominatively, so to speak

cheers Martin B :D

Could it be Hutton Roof war memorial, near Kirkby Lonsdale, with the top name being the Rev Theodore Bayley Hardy, VC, DSO, MC?

EDIT I was wondering about the 'one in three' clue but I see he was one of three chaplains to be awarded the VC. Thanks for getting me to find out about this man, there's quite a bit about him on the forum but I hadn't come across him before. As Hutton is the cricket connection and the other clues all seem satisfied I hope this is right, and if so please could Steve go on with his puzzle that he left a few posts back?

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Sounds like a good piece of detective work Liz ! Though I'll await Martin's confirmation before reviving my question !

Could it be Hutton Roof war memorial, near Kirkby Lonsdale, with the top name being the Rev Theodore Bayley Hardy, VC, DSO, MC?

EDIT I was wondering about the 'one in three' clue but I see he was one of three chaplains to be awarded the VC. Thanks for getting me to find out about this man, there's quite a bit about him on the forum but I hadn't come across him before. As Hutton is the cricket connection and the other clues all seem satisfied I hope this is right, and if so please could Steve go on with his puzzle that he left a few posts back?

Liz

Well done, Liz! You got there at last.

I'll try to post a picture of the memorial this evening when I get home from work.

We started a very pleasant walk at Hutton Roof when we were staying near Kirkby Lonsdale last month and I was v pleased to learn of the Great War connection as a bonus.

Next please!

cheers Martin B