Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Post #696 - Don't appear to be Brits as there's not a Lee Enfield between them, plus they seem to have some very unusual leather equipment!!

post-55705-076241200 1291778290.jpg

any one know what Regt. and what printing on bottom of photo says

(post card photo blurred)

post-55705-083892500 1291778598.jpg

Pte. T Kelly 31st Btn CEF Died of wounds 30 Sept. 1916

Post #696 - Don't appear to be Brits as there's not a Lee Enfield between them, plus they seem to have some very unusual leather equipment!!

Graham, no, they’re “Brits”,

They wear Infantry Equipment, Pattern 1914, issued in massive quantities by the British Army during the War and adopted wholly due to the shortage of Pattern 1908 Web Equipment - this from the most excellent Karkee Web site, “The Mills Equipment Company and M. Wright & Sons, already fully engaged in manufacturing for the Regular Army, lacked the immediate capacity to manufacture sufficient Pattern 1908 Web Equipment……. the solution was the Infantry Equipment, Pattern 1914”

The rifles are .303 Pattern 1914, issued in not insignificant numbers in the absence of sufficient supplies of SMLE pattern rifles – nowhere near as widespread as the issue of pattern 1914 infantry equipment, but there’s plenty of (non front-line) photo evidence out there, in fact post 680, the “Unidentified Pte Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry”, has one - and there's also one to be seen at post 607.

Cheers

Manxy

Post #834.

Irish National Army post 1922. Translates as Soldiers/Warriors/Volunteers of Ireland.

David.

Post #834.

Irish National Army post 1922. Translates as Soldiers/Warriors/Volunteers of Ireland.

David.

thank you for that

Bob R

Graham, no, they’re “Brits”,

They wear Infantry Equipment, Pattern 1914, issued in massive quantities by the British Army during the War and adopted wholly due to the shortage of Pattern 1908 Web Equipment - this from the most excellent Karkee Web site, “The Mills Equipment Company and M. Wright & Sons, already fully engaged in manufacturing for the Regular Army, lacked the immediate capacity to manufacture sufficient Pattern 1908 Web Equipment……. the solution was the Infantry Equipment, Pattern 1914”

The rifles are .303 Pattern 1914, issued in not insignificant numbers in the absence of sufficient supplies of SMLE pattern rifles – nowhere near as widespread as the issue of pattern 1914 infantry equipment, but there’s plenty of (non front-line) photo evidence out there, in fact post 680, the “Unidentified Pte Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry”, has one - and there's also one to be seen at post 607.

Cheers

Manxy

The leather equipment just looks very unusual compared to other photo's I have of it. If they are 'ours' as you say then I would say that this photo was probably taken while under training rather than in F&F.

The leather equipment just looks very unusual compared to other photo's I have of it. If they are 'ours' as you say then I would say that this photo was probably taken while under training rather than in F&F.

Clearly visible in the photo – the standard (and by far most common) first pattern ammunition pouches with single strap fastener, standard braces and snake buckle belt. I'd agree about the location – as mentioned you very seldom see Pattern 1914 rifles in the front line, so photo probably taken while training, but nonetheless 'ours'.

Really impressed with these amazing photos - this will become a very useful database, but I wonder if there's any way of organising it (e.g. by regiment)? This would make it an even more valuable resource.

Cheers, John

Captain CS Owen, pre-war, Adjt. 2nd RWF, later T/Brigadier

Famously foul-mouthed and much admired for this facility.

The medal is the Boxer Rising

post-894-009876900 1291904476.jpg

as most of it is Notts and Derbys, just a question of filtering out the others!

OK, If no one want's any more Notts and Derby, I can take a hint !!!

OK, If no one want's any more Notts and Derby, I can take a hint !!!

No No! Absolutely not! I am an interested party, in that I wrote "Blast of War" on the Bantam battalion ....... don't stop please!

OK here is another

71424 John William Hunt 15th Battn. N/D kia 19.8.1917, son of Harriet Hunt, 17 East Terrace, Milford, Derbyshire.

post-20062-038918900 1291910399.jpg

Pte.21954 William Chapman 2nd Battn. N/D kia 13.9.1916 age 35, husband of Jane Chapman, 30 Harrington Street, Allenton, Derby.

post-20062-004630400 1291911431.jpg

200446 Cpl.Tom Powditch 5th N/D, born 25th Nov.1891, Belper, Derbyshire, son of William and Mary, Bridge Street, Belper. One of 5 brothers all who served. Awarded a commission and attained the rank of Lieutenant, served during WW2, he died 26th May 1985 age 93. Brother of George.

post-20062-062241100 1291912837.jpg

John,

I side with Grumpy on the N/D question and another contributor to the Thread who asked that photos be posted in Regimental order.

There is no question from this thread that the Notts and Derbyshire Regiment won the First War,stuff the Americans.

But is that the truth and as a uniform guide to postcard technology,in WW1,is it fair?

George

clearly, anyone who has a problem with posts of N&D has a remedy ...... push up the number of other regiments and corps. For my part, a slow trickle of RWF.

2Lt Jimmy Caldwell, commissioned from ranks, Orderly Room QMS at outbreak of war and therefore heavily involved in the process of mobilisation

post-894-058055000 1291920228.jpg

intriguing badge above chevrons ..... what is it please?

Does seem odd, I am wondering if it is a brass universal grenade as sometimes worn by stokes mortar men. It doesn't look like a crown.

John,

I side with Grumpy on the N/D question and another contributor to the Thread who asked that photos be posted in Regimental order.

There is no question from this thread that the Notts and Derbyshire Regiment won the First War,stuff the Americans.

But is that the truth and as a uniform guide to postcard technology,in WW1,is it fair?

George

With respect George what are you trying to imply, there is no need to be sarcastic about the Notts/Derbys, if you are bored with my photo's just say so, better still why do'nt you put some images on. JG

Does seem odd, I am wondering if it is a brass universal grenade as sometimes worn by stokes mortar men. It doesn't look like a crown.

On the card it looks like a brass grenade, on the photo he was a sgt. later promoted to s/major