Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

TC and all,

The original reason for this Thread was to identify the types of uniforms worn in WW1.

We can all,on the Forum, pick up discarded Family WW1 photographs be it in a Car Boot,or Church Jumble Sale and enjoy our research

But many,on this Forum,have WW1 Family photographs they hold dear and would not wish to release to a Car Boot or Church Jumble Sale.

But are happy to scan and post, as examples of the types of Uniforms worn in WW1

George

TC and all,

The original reason for this Thread was to identify the types of uniforms worn in WW1.

We can all,on the Forum, pick up discarded Family WW1 photographs be it in a Car Boot,or Church Jumble Sale and enjoy our research

But many,on this Forum,have WW1 Family photographs they hold dear and would not wish to release to a Car Boot or Church Jumble Sale.

But are happy to scan and post, as examples of the types of Uniforms worn in WW1

George

George ??????

If you read TT's original reason for this exellent thread it was to illustrate member's post cards of soldiers in uniform, if possable named or with insignia. And when you send me a PM put it on here so everyone can see it.

Dear Mr Dycer,

I don't know you but I found your last post very offensive.

You didn't start the post, which was done by Trench Trotter who said

"I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread to illustrate members postcards of soldiers in uniform"

You seem to have a down on the Notts & Derbys and Mr Gregory, who I may say has made his collection available to all on this forum and if it wasn't for his input the post would only be half the size.

Any way as my posts seem to have particularly upset you, I have deleted the lot, as I wouldn't want to upset an expert like yourself.

After all you didn't want to see the Canadian Battle patches picked up in a church hall after they had been discarded by family or the Germans bought in a car boot sale. Maybe they should be burnt so no one can.

No Sir your just jealous that others have better collections than you and you only want to see the rarer photo's with patches and different badges probably so you can copy them.

Don't bother responding as I won't be back.

Stick your Forum

Best regards

John Sheen

I will now write another book on the DLI with the time saved

TC and all,

George

Dear mr. Dycer

I for one fail to see the point you are trying to make here, you have criticized Trench Trotter before on this forum for posting too mant N & D, so what, if he or any others have a large collection of one Regiment,they are entitled to post as many as they please, unless I am unaware of some unstated/unwritten rule??, if you don't wish to View the N & D don't look at them. Each photo posted is a tribute to those that served & so many of them paid the ultimate price, I think it is a tribute to them & their surviving families/relatives, that the contributors to this thread take the time & effort to post the phots/cards they have.

Regards

Bob R.

Dear Mr Dycer,

I don't know you but I found your last post very offensive.

You didn't start the post, which was done by Trench Trotter who said

"I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread to illustrate members postcards of soldiers in uniform"

You seem to have a down on the Notts & Derbys and Mr Gregory, who I may say has made his collection available to all on this forum and if it wasn't for his input the post would only be half the size.

Any way as my posts seem to have particularly upset you, I have deleted the lot, as I wouldn't want to upset an expert like yourself.

After all you didn't want to see the Canadian Battle patches picked up in a church hall after they had been discarded by family or the Germans bought in a car boot sale. Maybe they should be burnt so no one can.

No Sir your just jealous that others have better collections than you and you only want to see the rarer photo's with patches and different badges probably so you can copy them.

Don't bother responding as I won't be back.

Stick your Forum

Best regards

John Sheen

I will now write another book on the DLI with the time saved

John,

Whilst I appreciate your right to leave the Forum.

I have conversed privately with John and Bob and both now understand that for personal close Family reasons,that are available for all to see at an earlier post made on my behalf by Trench Trotter why I would like see this Thread extended to all Regiments and services that served in WW1.

George

This is a disaster! For crying out loud, John Sheen is [not was, I hope] an excellent colleague and forum member, always happy to help, and contribute from his vast NorthEastern knowledge base.

Some sort of high octaane grovel is needed, we cannot have silly playground spats arising out of thoughtless remarks or, dare I suggest, trolling.

John,

Whilst I appreciate your right to leave the Forum.

I have conversed privately with John and Bob and both now understand that for personal close Family reasons,that are available for all to see at an earlier post made on my behalf by Trench Trotter why I would like see this Thread extended to all Regiments and services that served in WW1.

George

Err pardon, you have not conversed privatetly with me at all and I do not understand really what you are getting at, your posts make no sense at all and you are spoiling an exellent thread with your pointless comments. If you do not like the thread why do you keep looking. For your information this thread is open to all Regiments and services.

I am going to carry on with my images and if you do not like them, tough.

This is a disaster! For crying out loud, John Sheen is [not was, I hope] an excellent colleague and forum member, always happy to help, and contribute from his vast NorthEastern knowledge base.

Some sort of high octaane grovel is needed, we cannot have silly playground spats arising out of thoughtless remarks or, dare I suggest, trolling.

Well said David, Dycer is really getting on my nerves now, and for a respected man like John Sheen to leave the forum is a waste of valuable information.

Back to what this thread is about.

An unknown Sgt.with bombers badges above his stripes, look at his eyes, is that "the thousand yard" stare. Battn. dare I say it ? N/Derby.

post-20062-010367500 1291981417.jpg

Pte.4309 Lawrence Joseph Abell 1st/5th Battn. N/Derby. Lawrence was wounded during the attack at Gommecourt Wood on the 1st July 1916 and discharged on the 6.12.1916 and awarded a Silver War Badge (Number 156346).

post-20062-059268900 1291982207.jpg

Stick your Forum

I can never understand why, when someone is offended, they blame 'the forum' like it's some monolithic structure where everyone thinks the same. To walk away because of the comments of one or two people is somewhat odd.

Nevertheless, when some people provoke or deliberately (or otherwise) irritate, or try to hijack or twist a thread that is happily tootling along, we all wonder why.

May I, in probably my last action as a Mod, appeal to common sense. Apologies hurt not, and I think in this case an apology, or at least an attempt to make sense, would be helpful. By the same token, walking from the forum because someone has annoyed you is a bit childish.

I have just been reminded of one of the reasons I can no longer do this job.

This is the 1st thread i go to as soon as i get on line and i do mean the 1st even before i check my E mails. I absolutely love it.

Yes there are lot N/D but so what !!!! The fact that so many have names as well,makes them even more interesting and it's great that someone makes the effort to share them.

Both of these quotes made me laff and i'm certain that no malice was intended.

as most of it is Notts and Derbys, just a question of filtering out the others!

There is no question from this thread that the Notts and Derbyshire Regiment won the First War,stuff the Americans.

Maybe a few smilies could have been added to make that point ?

As far as i'm concerned. Keep calm and carry on ( posting, new pics ) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

35943 Corp Bernard Arthur Minnitt M.M. 11th Battn. N/Derby. Also awarded the M.C. as Lieut. with 18th Battn. KRRC.

post-20062-005935900 1292001832.jpg

What a shame. I find it deplorable that someone has the gall to critize another for posting a superb collection of images. Not everyone collects everything, John has an obvious interest in the Notts & Derby and is glad to share them with us and for that we should be very grateful. A real pity the best thread on the forum since the Pals badges has been ruined.

I disagree. It's not ruined. The actions and/or words of one or two people surely cannot 'ruin' what was, is and will continue be a fine thread.

BTW, I thought the N&D did win the war? :)

Let's move on folks.

the best thread on the forum since the Pals badges.

Not seen that one. I did a search but could not find it. can someone put a link up for me ? :wub:

BTW, I thought the N&D did win the war? :)

Rumour. :)

They were camping in Picardy and went over to complain about the noise. :D

On the card it looks like a brass grenade, on the photo he was a sgt. later promoted to s/major

Perhaps he was the 'mortar' sergeant or could it be a regimentally adopted ad hoc 'bombers' badge. Grumpy might have a view. The universal grenade was used for so many things.