Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles - The searches past and present

green_acorn

Aussie Pals,

Channel 72 will be telecasting the consecration/burial/opening ceremony live, apparently uninterrupted by ads, from Fromelle at 2140 AEST this evening. 9:40 pm Australian Eastern Time for the 24 hour clock challenged.

Cheers,
Hendo

I'm lucky engough to go to Fromelles today, I'll share some photos with you.

Here in the UK I have just seen a brief report from Sky News at the site. The weather right now looked superb and the war cemetery was shown looking in the direction of the Cross of Sacrifice with I think the village church behind. This place will become a “must see" for visitors to the Western Front and quite rightly so. I am hoping that BBC 24 and Sky will be covering the ceremony.

Regards

Norman

Going by the item on BBC Breakfast it seemed that there would be some coverage on the BBC News channel.

Just seen a report on BBC breakfast news with Robert Hall live from Fromelles.

Mandy

I'm lucky engough to go to Fromelles today, I'll share some photos with you.

Teebo

Myself , like many others are waiting with bated breath for you to share

the photos

Mant thanks for your kind gesture

Peter

There's also a headline feature on the BBC website with a lot of background information.

Hopefully all the media attention will make it easier to persuade CWGC/MOD to undertake DNA testing for those bodies found at Beaucamps Ligny.

I'm live from the site and it's about to start. Weather is beautiful but very warm, and very few places to hide in the shade.

More Australians than I expected. The atmosphere is really pleasant. Many people talk to unknown, it's funny to hear the franglish going on.

A short break in the BBC news coverage.....

How wonderful it is to see so very many people attending a ceremony for people who died 94 years ago. I am so very proud. A few tissues being used this morning, I can tell you.

Watching BBC News 24 and a short break in coverage this has been a faultless, poignant and a fitting tribute to those who fell. Particular congratulations to those reading out the letters etc. This day is a credit to all of those who in a small or large way ensured that these men would not be forgotten and that where possible they would have the dignity of a name in their final resting place. Shame that the BBC choose to interrupt the transmission, extremely poor judgement in my opinion. Hopefully there will be an edited programme produced at some time.

Regards

Norman

BBC news just rejoined service can't believe what we have just been shown couldn't have waited.

Mandy

Very poignant that the details of a soldier killed in Afganistan are scrolling on screen at the moment.

Mandy

It was good that they did not feel it was necessary to interrupt the main ceremony with News headlines, but I still cannot understand why the BBC (and other broadcasters given the chance) find the need to "talk over" parts of ceremonies like this. During the playing of Reveille, they even felt it was necessary to tell us that it was possibly the most poignant moment!

Can't their incessant "factoids" (feel free to nominate that word on another thread) be relegated to a sub-title or left to later?

David

Yes, I kept shouting out to the tv to tell the reporter to 'Shut up!'

There were so many more people along the way of the procession and outside the cemetery itself too. Heartwarming to see it all.

Kim you are so right, the art of commentating is in my view not when to speak but when to shut up. If you want to see a prime example of how not to do this in action then watch the trooping of the colour on HM The Queens birthday!. Aside from that a very moving ceremony and I thought that the servicemen in particular were magnificent so a big "Well Done".

Norman

Well done to all involved on a magnificent ceremony. So pleased to listen to the applause greeting the commendation by G-G to Lambis Englezos.

I just wish that the Australians and Brits may have been more gracious in acknowledging the people of Fromelles and the contribution made by the French people and authorities towards todays ceremeomies

LEST WE FORGET

On BBC Look North (West Yorkshire) this morning, some Numptie stated the bodies had been "found by a French Farmer"

obviously they had never heard of Lambis.

Words fail me..................