Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aubers Ridge, 1915

AKEY

Derek,

The date 28th April 1915 catches the eye.

That’s earlier than the big battle that we’ve been discussing .

Phil

On 27/03/2019 at 15:43, phil andrade said:

Derek,

The date 28th April 1915 catches the eye.

That’s earlier than the big battle that we’ve been discussing .

Phil

As it should, when i should have typed June.....
The full letter explains it was Sunday the 9th of May the writer was referring to.

Apologies, i'll edit it.

Thank you.

Edited by Derek Black

• 2 weeks later...

More accounts Phil, published shortly afterward.

4th Seaforth Officer

Edinburgh Evening News - Tuesday 18 May 1915

"An officer of the 4th Seaforth Highlanders (Territorials), writing about the fighting at Neuve Chapelle last week-end says: "Those brutes of Germans. They squirted petrol over our wounded, and then tried to set them on fire. A few men were burnt, but fortunately some were already dead. One of the 1st Battalion was lying wounded out in front, and he went on fire. Another man rushed out amid a hail of bullets, lay down beside him, took his clothes off, stood up and stamped out the fire, bandaged him up, and then got back to the trench."

1/23rd London Reg.

The Globe - Wednesday 02 June 1915

"Wounded soldiers, among the 200 brought to Cardiff from the front this week declare that the barbarism of Germans has intensified the bitterness of the struggle. Private A. Fraser, 1/23rd London Regiment, said the Territorials were forced from the trenches by shell fire, but later they came to grips with the Germans.
They took three lines of trenches with the bayonet.
When the wounded had to crawl back across the open, the Germans threw petrol bombs at them.
Lieutenant Clinton distinguished himself by carrying twenty seven wounded to safety
."

Dundee signaller, 4th Black Watch

Dundee People's Journal - Saturday 29 May 1915
"When they charged they found the barbed wire had not been fully cut, and there was a wide, deep ditch just over the parapet,  and as they crossed they were met with a murderous fire from the machine guns, against which they could make no headway.
they left many dead and wounded outside the trench, and I have heard horrible stories about the treatment of these.
The Germans were using some material which set fire to everything it touched. I saw one man killed , all burned, and the flesh of some were said to have been burning. One's clothes took fire, another with half a leg off tried to put it out. He was promptly shot by the Germans. A young lad, evidently badly hit, was crying out for water. A bottle was thrown to him, and as he reached for it he was also shot
."

Pte. W. McLaren of Pitlochry of the the 2nd Black Watch.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 20 May 1915
"It is not fighting out there; it is cruel murder.
Fancy the Germans using petrol shells. These shells set fire to a good many of our wounded. The Germans also set fire to the dead.
The 9th, 10th and 11th of May fairly put Neuve Chapelle, and also Mons, in a corner
."

Gunner C. Vasey, of Whitby, RFA attd Indian contingent in France.

Whitby Gazette - Friday 04 June 1915
"When we started the attack on the Saturday, our wounded were set fire to by means of vitriol bombs."

Pte. William Orr, HLI.

Dublin Daily Express - Monday 24 May 1915
"Yesterday the Germans set fire to a wounded soldier who was unable to get back to our trench."

4th Lincolns man from Boston.

Western Daily Press - Tuesday 15 June 1915
"The other day i was chatting to one of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. He asserted that he saw German infantry deliberately throw incendiary bombs on a wounded Highlander who was lying helpless about 25 yards from their trench. He saw smoke and flame coming from the poor fellows body.
On another occasion the Huns captured a dozen British prisoners. They stripped them of every particle of clothing and then told them to get back to the English lines. As the men, naked, ran back, the Germans coolly shot them down. Only one escaped.
"

S/6958 Pte. Edward MacLure of the 2nd Black Watch.

28th of June 1915 Arbroath Herald

"I saw one of our chaps set on fire while lying in the open by petrol bombs, and I know for a fact that poor fellow was not dead, only wounded at the time."

"I saw one of our chaps set on fire while lying in the open by petrol bombs, and I know for a fact that poor fellow was not dead, only wounded at the time."

Edited by Derek Black

Thanks, Derek.

While lurid propaganda was extant - especially at this time of the war, with the chlorine attack at Ypres, the crucified Canadian there,  and the Lusitania - there is something disturbingly consistent about these accounts of flame being used by the Germans.

Phil