Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is your Medal collecting theme

davidhughhill

Not quite Ken.

Just that any financial difficulties that I find myself in in the future which are bad enough to make me consider selling my modest collection will be too bad to be sorted out by their proceeds, thus rendering selling in the first place pointless!

Now that you mention it, if the medals get used to settle my funeral bill, and still end up with another collector who will also look after them and further the research into the men that would be great. I'd love my kids to share the interest though and both seem to be from time to time. Not bad for a daughter of 10 and a son of very nearly 3.

Cheers,

Nigel

Any for the Army Veterinary Corps.

Medals to Scottish Regiments , mainly Gallantry or medals with a good story attached, I understand that every medal tells a story and hold all medals in great esteem. I am also gratefull for all of the help ,and good natured messages I have recieved this year from forum members .

To follow on from the ' Trios that are no more ' topic what are the themes of the Medal collectors on the forum.

Mine is WW1 Royal Scots gallantry,trios, pairs, and plaques ect.

Tell us about your theme.

Davie

Davie hows your collection doing ? Hope you had a good year

Davie hows your collection doing ? Hope you had a good year

Thanks for asking .

Latest addition DCM, MM and trio Cpl M.Higgins 12th Royal Scots.

And i would still like the contents of you avatar!!

Merry Christmas

Davie

Hi Merry Christmas to you All.

I dont suppose any of you lads have any medals for my Gt Uncle. H Morrell 9571 R/Fus City of London Reg.He was entitled to Pip, (1914/15 Star) ,Sqeek and Wilfred.They all got lost in time. It would be nice to know that someone has them complete in thier collection.

Best Regards Andy.

As far as Great War medals I've started to concentrate on single BWM's to different regiments,I do have some trio's and pairings but at the moment singles is what the pocket can afford plus singles are more easily obtained.I would like to pick up some of the remaining Irish regiments at some stage missing from my collection but thats another day.

Brendan

Have a number of Boer War and WWI singles and pairs to Colchester men that my granddad saved from going to the landfill in the 60s. Otherwise (in the absence of theirs :( ) I try to collect representative medals to men of units my relatives served with.

If anyone knows of any QSA singles to the Suffolk Regiment (sole entitlement) or 69th Battery RFA, or any WWI groups or singles to 5 Siege Battery RGA I'd be very interested to hear!

Kind regards

Steve

Royal Welsh fusiliers (all battalions serving abroad) & medals to scandinavians serving in the commonwealth forces. Also interested in the Worcesters & the London Regiment apart from a few eclectic excursions into other services...

/Lars

Have a number of Boer War and WWI singles and pairs to Colchester men that my granddad saved from going to the landfill in the 60s. Otherwise (in the absence of theirs :( ) I try to collect representative medals to men of units my relatives served with.

If anyone knows of any QSA singles to the Suffolk Regiment (sole entitlement) or 69th Battery RFA, or any WWI groups or singles to 5 Siege Battery RGA I'd be very interested to hear!

Kind regards

Steve

Fantastic Steve - no Maldon names amongst them are there?

SPN

Maldon

I collect to the lancashire fusiliers and manchester regiments,especially the 1/6th lanc fus and 1/10th manch regts with a gallipoli connection.

Mark

Fantastic Steve - no Maldon names amongst them are there?

SPN

Maldon

Hi Stephen,

I'm afraid not, as far as I've managed to ascertain they are all to Colchester men. The sad thing is, my sister was originally given half the collection and she subsequently sold the ones she had - so it looks like any of the split medals I have will remain that way!

cheers

Steve

Hi Stephen,

I'm afraid not, as far as I've managed to ascertain they are all to Colchester men. The sad thing is, my sister was originally given half the collection and she subsequently sold the ones she had - so it looks like any of the split medals I have will remain that way!

cheers

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. Bit of a long shot I guess but I am very keen to get hold of any Maldon and Heybridge related medals. Your story/discovery is great 'though. How many medals were originally involved?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

It wasn't a large number by any means! Those that I have include a single QSA to an 2nd Essex Regt Private, a BWM/VM pair to a MGC 2nd Lt, a BWM to a Middlesex Regt Private, a George V Special Constabulary Medal, and a handful of cap badges, sweet heart badges, and 'On War Service' badges. I seem to recall there was at least twice the number of medals in the original collection my granddad had, which probably included some other Victorian ones as well; when we were little my sister insisted on having 'all the pretty ones' (ie. those that retained their ribbons!) and that, as they say, was that. Wouldn't mind knowing where they eventually ended up!

If I should ever come across any medals to Maldon or Heybridge men I'll certainly let you know!

Kind regards

Steve

Steve

I'd be interested in the details of the 2nd Essex Private. Several of my relatives served in 2nd Essex in the Boer/Great Wars and I have a fair amount of research covering the Boer War.

Regards

Clive

Hi Clive,

The QSA I have is to one Private 4722 C. Turner of the 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment (from the QSA medal roll he was later attached to the Burma Mounted Infantry from 27th February 1902). The medal has the four bars SA 1901, SA 1902, Transvaal and Orange Free State.

I've not managed to trace his service papers at the NA so far, so I'm afraid I don't have his first name (therefore unlike the other medal recipients, I can't confirm if this chap was a Colchester man or not).

Kind regards

Steve

Hi Clive,

The QSA I have is to one Private 4722 C. Turner of the 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment (from the QSA medal roll he was later attached to the Burma Mounted Infantry from 27th February 1902). The medal has the four bars SA 1901, SA 1902, Transvaal and Orange Free State.

I've not managed to trace his service papers at the NA so far, so I'm afraid I don't have his first name (therefore unlike the other medal recipients, I can't confirm if this chap was a Colchester man or not).

Kind regards

Steve

Strange - I have a Private Sidney Turner who was with the 2nd (8328) then the 3rd. Lived in Maldon and died 4/5/17. (Have 20 Maldon and Heybridge casualties in the 2nd Essex).

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Steve

Thanks for posting the details. Service number indicates he joined in 1896 so most likely born c 1878 but I have nothing on Turner beyond the medal roll information you have quoted.

Regards

Clive

Thanks Clive,

The year of enlistment is a new one for me though. As a matter of interest, do you know if muster rolls for the 2nd Battalion at this time exist anywhere?

Kind regards

Steve

Men from Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse, Forest Town and Pleasley Vale for me!

Very few and far between for the last 3, have only just started to concentrate on the Mansfield ones and have spotted quite a large number for sale already!!!

Hi There,

Collect any medals to the NEALE family, Groups, Trio, Pairs, Singles, Death Plaques, Memorial Scrolls, Photos and Paperwork. From any Service, Regiment, Corps and Country.

Have been collecting for about 7 years and have about 140 WW1 medals now, alot more still to go so always on the look out to add to the family Neale Collection and most grateful for any such information.

The Research side of things is coming on thanks to the kindness of some GWF Members and I am learning slowly.

Happy Collecting to all.

Chris Neale.

Steve

The last available muster rolls are 1888. I'm not aware of any regimental documents that cover Turner's service period. His service number indicates enlistment late September 1896. If you haven't already tried the Militia attestation papers in WO 96 they are worth a look. The majority of Essex regulars entered from the Militia in the 1890's and if you find a C Turner in WO 96 who enlisted for Regular service in September 1896, chances are he will be your man.

Regards

Clive

Another West Yorks collector, especially Pals battalions 16/17/18/21.

Also collecting to the pioneer battalions WestYorks/Northumberlands.

Channelhopper