Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is your Medal collecting theme

davidhughhill

Only got 2 but very very precious my Grandfathers 5th Gordons. Still in the little square

brown envolope they came in.

Yes but how special those two are to you and what a fantastic link they make for you with the Great War! I know how you feel - I have my grandfather's and my wife's grandfather's trios - framed with photos and cap badges. They have pride of place in the house. How could I put a price on them or ever replace them (regardless of "insurance").

All the best.

SPN

Maldon.

European Military Medals (mainly to the other ranks),

from 1813 - post 1945.

A nice size selection of WW1 era German medal bars / Spange with approximately 30 Iron Cross II Classes.

As well as a selection of Inter-Allied Victory Medal from the various Allied Nations, but NOT all :(

My British section to WW1 is very small (have yet to pick up a 1914 or 1914 / 1915 Star.)

With regards what happens the entire collection after I kick the bucket,

these items can go the way of anybody's collection be it coins, stamps, postcards

I have a note book listing basic values, updated too prices seen online

my wife then will have an idea what to look for, but she has been warned not to accept any rip-off offers.

For me its not about the money its the love of searching for and collecting the items and history associated with them,

however you cannot expect your family(but you can hope) too have the same values unless they are passionately

interested in the same things you are.

Connaught Stranger. :D

Interesting, so if they were stolen you wouldn't be claiming off the insurance?

What I think Taff is saying & I am sure most Collectors would echo is that a Collection has little notion of monetary value whilst it is being collected & cared for,One doesnt collect Medals or anything else for that matter for pecuniary reward* [*If you do this then you are effectively an investor &/or speculator,both tend to get their fingers burned as they did when a handful dabbled in medals in the 1970s,Collectors they "aint".] but for the esthetic & historic enjoyment one gets from holding them,researching them & their recipients,a collection only achieves a monetary value if the intention is to sell it,but this is very old ground & I am sure we have been over it a hundred times or more before...

& As you asked if they are stolen? & I have had that happen; whilst over 22 groups of Northamptonshire Regt awards were on display in a local City Museum,the money counts for very little; it took two years to trace them when the reappeared all together & I had to buy them once more all over again @ market prices!!

I had many sleepless night whilst they were gone,which no money could recompense!!!!

I collect books, not medals, but I have a question; it's a serious question and not meant to troll or anything.

What will happen to your collections when your number comes up? Leave them to the kids, leave them to a museum, have them cremated with you, leave them to the dogs' home (can I suggest a good animal charity ...)?

It's something I've pondered for some time with the book collection.

(I hope the original poster doesn't mind a slight hijack).

A nice selection of differing themes and eclectic collections large and small.

I thought there might be more Scottish themed collections .

Davie

^^ I'd leave them to another GWF member!

I have a small collection of Great War medals, when I started collecting I tried to get a trio/pair/single to all the Scottish regiments. but now through some trading and swap's my collection is now all Cameron Highlanders, pride of place, three groups and some singles to Lanarkshire lads in the Cameron's killed at Loos, two of the lads from my hometown area. Collected for pleasure not profit. I never honestly gave value a thought. What will happen to them when I shuffle low too buffalo ?

Cheers All Rob

What will happen to your collections when your number comes up? Leave them to the kids, leave them to a museum, have them cremated with you, leave them to the dogs' home

It is something Ive pondered,I have 3 Offspring {currently~never say never again!!} who will no doubt fight over them unless I cash them in!!

I collect anything to do with the manchester pals.

Main interest though is the 17th and 19th Bn ,pictures, postcards, medals,cap badges and shoulder titles.

Always looking for more....

Dave

Taff - just noted you have an 'Alma' ancestor ... what's the story there .. or maybe that's for another day!

Hi Des,

Good to hear from you.

Arthur Alma Gillingham and his brother cropped up when my Dad's cousin was working on the family tree. We are still rummaging for a Crimean connection. He certainly wasn't born in the 1850s!

I would love to know the answer myself. If I find an answer I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Taff

I collect any medals to any Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment,Trust me to collect the medals of the most expensive infantry regiment to buy these days !

cheers jonathan

I am Collecting to the Irish regiments, Connaught rangers, Royal Dublin Fusiliers,Royal Munster Fusiliers,Leinsters, Royal Irish, Rifles, and RIF, collecting all types,expensive but worth it.

Regards,

murrough.

I don't have a set theme for my collection. Speaking only for my British and Commonwealth medals, they span World War I thru the Troubles, with various Corps and Regiments being represented. That being said, my favorites to collect to are the Royal Artillery and the Royal Engineers - both Corps have such diverse jobs and specialties within them that it would probably take me the rest of my life to have all of them represented. As for my Royal Navy collection I try to keep it limited to Stokers (my first medal to a member of the RN was to a career Chief Stoker).

Hello,

I collect medals to the 4th, 5th and 6th Seaforth Highlanders and also MGC and ASC.

Cheers

Owain.

I focus on Somme connections but not exclusively. Western Front but includes anything that appeals to me.

I too dont buy to make money but I am a realist and recognise the day will come they will have to be handed on as I am but a custodian.

I would sell as I have children and it will be part of their legacy....hopefully to people who want the medals.

Regards

TT

West Yorkshire Regiment. Any medals I can afford to any battalion of this regiment come home with me, and disappear from the market for good.

Cheers,

Nigel

West Yorkshire Regiment. Any medals I can afford to any battalion of this regiment come home with me, and disappear from the market for good.

Cheers,

Nigel

Have you discovered the secret of eternal life then?

:lol:

I collect medals to Macrae have a few now some to relitives, I also go for the odd WW1 bit that takes me fancy, regards what happens to them when my turn comes , well my daughter shall get the lot everything odds and sods medals badges with instructions on how to sell them on ebay and keep them out of museums . I do not want them in a drawer of a museum and never see the light of day like 80% of medals in museums .

Dan