Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
davidhughhill

What is your Medal collecting theme

davidhughhill

To follow on from the ' Trios that are no more ' topic what are the themes of the Medal collectors on the forum.

Mine is WW1 Royal Scots gallantry,trios, pairs, and plaques ect.

Tell us about your theme.

Davie

dycer

Davie,

Not a theme but I know two 8th Royal Scots Trios you will be unable to add to your collection. :D

George

jasmor58

I do not have a theme. I am a generalist collector, I collect what I like and like what I collect!

Jasmor58

dundeesown

Black Watch ( especially 4th,4/5th Battalion ) but will buy any B/W or Dundee lads medals,when I have the cash.

Gary.

HarryBettsMCDCM

1/1st Cambridgeshire Regt TF {& Precendents& Antecedents}

Northamptonshire Regt {Mainly 5th 6th & 7th Battalions,but includes others}

Unusual Groups to the ASC,Royal Artillery {all Branches}

& Anything that takes my Fancy & I can afford at the time!!!

1st AIF

All AIF infantry battalions - damn its hard trying to get one from the the 40th Bn.

Len

Liam

I collect to the 12th Lancers but try and collect individual medals of as many types as I can

Liam

River97
I do not have a theme. I am a generalist collector, I collect what I like and like what I collect!

Jasmor58

I have done the same and when the cabinet became full I started again, this time for the London Regiment, a pair or trio for each Battalion.

Cheers Andy.

post-41030-1261084668.jpg

regimentalrogue

I collect medals to The Royal Canadian Regiment, with a principal focus on those who served during the Great War.

hmsk212

MGC & MGS-RA

Steve

I dunno if I am a collector or not.

I have tried to collect to the 46th CEF.No joy. Even harder to find,medals to the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corp.No luck there,either.

Not much of a collection,really :huh:

geoff2050

I have only just started a collection .

Its based on whats available and what takes my fancy .

If I had a choice it would be local to West Yorkshire.

Geoff

nthornton1979

My theme has changed from Cheshire regiment to just about anything that takes my fancy.

MM's with citations are a favourite of mine aswell as anything with an interesting story to go with it.

Neil

Ken Lees

I collect to the 9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regiment and its predecessors, the 3rd and 6th Volunteer Battalions.

IMG_0115a.jpg

27thBN

double/triple gallantry and MC Groups . MC

Tinhat47

Royal Engineers!

And to a much smaller degree, the 1/1st and 2/1st battalions of the London Regiment.

1stmotors

I am interested mainly in CMGC 1st motors medals

KIRKY

Somme Casualties mainly broken groups and singles. gives me something to research and someone to remember when I visit there.

Tony

Chief_Chum

Anything which takes my fancy (usually medals with interesting paperwork or stories) but ideally Suffolk Regiment, Suffolk Yeomanry and any medals, plaques, paperwork, etc named to 'Gillingham' - any period. (If you see any, let me know!)

Petroc

I was only a collector in my teens, when you could pick up a Victory Medal for 50p in a local junk shop...tried to collect to the Devons (reasonably succesfully) but picked up whatever I could and whatever my part-time job at the time enabled. Looking back (though not realising it at the time) I now have some absolute stormers...14/15 trio to TF Gloster kia near Pozieres, Victory to a member of the Household Battalion, 14 Star-bar trio plus Defence Medal and ISM to RFA, BWM to a Devon who lost his life in the Arras sector in 1917, 14/15 trio to Captain in ASC, etc. And, contrary to some comments by others on certain threads, these were NOT bought in the hope of future financial benefit; they were bought by kid with a fascination for the Great War, they remain in the posession of said kid (but with less hair, a bit of a beer-gut and a pair of specs) and will continue to do so. So there!

Andy

Chief_Chum

"these were NOT bought in the hope of future financial benefit"

Same here Andy. As far as I'm concerned my collection is worthless as I have no intention of selling any of it!

Donny Anderson

Gordon Highlanders, principley 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th TF Battalions and on a smaller scale RNR Trawler Section.

Donny

Kevin Tobin

Anything Ox & Bucks.

Also the odd Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars items.

stephen p nunn

No theme really. Anything that I can afford regardless of regiment, rank and full set or not. Just as long as I can research the soldiers story. I then buy relevant cap bages to go with the medals and keep them all in a medal album along with copy Medal Cards, Service Records etc. All of them are special.

My ambition is to one day have a medal(s) of a Maldon/Heybridge casualty.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

philtaylor
"these were NOT bought in the hope of future financial benefit"

Same here Andy. As far as I'm concerned my collection is worthless as I have no intention of selling any of it!

Interesting, so if they were stolen you wouldn't be claiming off the insurance?