Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is your Medal collecting theme

davidhughhill

Ok Andrew I will get some together and put them in a new thread. I have a couple of photos of other collectors medals, including a 1914-5 Star, that I can also add.

Zeebrugge Raid for me - medals, documents, photos, books, souvenirs......anything really

Zeebrugge Raid for me - medals, documents, photos, books, souvenirs......anything really

Nice theme ..not to much in medals comes around though for the Zeebrugge raid.

MC

Ok Andrew I will get some together and put them in a new thread. I have a couple of photos of other collectors medals, including a 1914-5 Star, that I can also add.

• 3 weeks later...

R.A and R.E.

The only R.E I have is to a member of my wifes family that was picked up on ebay for £30.

I only pick up medals if and when i can afford them due to being placed on short time at work.

David,

One could argue I am blessed with riches but I worry.

The "Cheshire Chums" meet is next week.

Much of me says, I take an innocuous Trench Art Matchbox,for attendees,to fawn/ pass around etc but do I bring the Soldier who commissioned it,,Medals, I have,unmounted,in his 1914 Box,plus a photo of the man so that everything ties together but leaves room for discussion?

Apart from the fact I care for Him and his bits and pieces and everyone that turns up,for the meeting?

I am not addressing you individually,David, but rather as a Nephew,of a man who was killed in WW1 and whom has not yet appreciated the separation between Medal collection in the 21st Century and the "bits and pieces" left over from WW1.

George

Notts and Derby for me, especially the 8th Bn Territorials.

Richard

I'm very new to all this and thought that I would start by collecting medals for the Anstey men, after searching for what seemed like a decade or two, I then decided that the Leicestershire regiment would be a better choice, not!!!! I have managed to get a pair to one of the Anstey casualties and also have a nice Trio to a 1/4th Leicester surviver along with a Victory medal to a 6th Battalion Leicesters man. Everything else as either been given to me or brought off e bay by my dear lady, who seems to have a very good eye for a bargain.

DSC01173-1.jpg

Regards. Llew.

When I started collecting again a few years ago after a long brake I was unable to decide upon a theme so simply decided to collect to my surname of Welsh and variants of Welch and Walsh. John

My current interests appears to collecting and paying bills!

If there is anything left at the end of the month, I look about for medals to unusual Colonial and British Small Corps, especially British War Medals in Bronze. I just buy what catches my eye (and suits my wallet) and really enjoy the challenge of researching them.

Some medals are quite stubbon in revealing their history - one annoying pair is to Private Follower R B A James. Others like a Victory Medal to a Rubin Smorodinsky have revealed volumes.

I am also most interested in tracking down Family related medal groups especially to anyone with the surname Salew.

Sepoy :)

Hi all

I am putting up my first post on this forum, I have been collecting for a while and am looking to move into WW1 pairs and trios with MC and if possible further award bars.

Phil

• 1 year later...

Royal Engineers and medals to men from Orkney. I enjoy researching the man but still have much to learn in regard to researching servicemen.

I have a small collection and am growing it slowly when I can afford to add to it.

I have a nice RE trio with MM and bar.

Mostly collect to my family name. Either Ranner or Chriscoli.

Lot's of medals out there just can't seem to find them for sale.

Mounted

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sUTCTUcmhHMgiFkZxX8xfzd8bhy2GIwcjFBFZPXnrDM?feat=directlink

Hello, that is an outstanding group. Are they to a relative, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't have any gallantry groups yet, but enjoy researching the groups and few individual medals I am custodian of.

I've considered collecting to my surname as well, but in fact I have only seen one medal with the surname (Henry) for sale.

Regards,

Joseph

1319489049[/url]' post='1659751']

Hello, that is an outstanding group. Are they to a relative, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't have any gallantry groups yet, but enjoy researching the groups and few individual medals I am custodian of.

I've considered collecting to my surname as well, but in fact I have only seen one medal with the surname (Henry) for sale.

Regards,

Joseph

Yes Joseph, grandfathers cousin. Not that close, but same family name. Ranner.

Not sure what the MMs were awarded for. But there is a mention of a 'Renner' climbing into a crater to close a leaking valve on a gas cylinder under fire. Can't find a 'Renner' on the MIC lists for the RE so can only assume the author meant Ranner rather than Renner. Nearest I have managed to find so far.

Hi all,

I'm obsessed with the East Riding Yeomanry. I collect everything associated with the regiment 1902 - 1956. Amongst my collection are an Imperial Yeomanry Long Service medal (one of only 9 awarded to the regiment), an ER2 Territorial Medal group (rare as regiment was amalgamated in 1956) and an MM and trio to a member of the East Riding Yeomanry / 102nd (East Riding and Lincolnshire Yeomanry) Battalion MGC

Cheers,

Neil.

I collect war medals to my family surname :D not many around, they don't turn up very often but when they do..............:w00t:

I was talking to a fellow collector (on-line) a few weeks ago who collects to his surname of Adams. He told me he has over 13,000 medals named to Adams collected over a 30 year period!!!

post-47732-0-87806900-1320044643.jpg

In the last year and a half, I've passed the 1st Londons medals and Royal Engineer signalmen on to new owners, trying to narrow(!) the focus on RE field companies, labour battalions, road construction men and the Special Brigade.

I origionally collected to the border Regt but sold up in 2000.

Just started again and told myself to just go for anything interesting........but the lure of the border Regiment i still strong!

As many others probably do, The Lincolnshire Regiment for me, I'm not flush but collect what I can when I can, I have medals to 31 individuals so far, some complete pairs and trios, sadly lots of singles. I would love to find the matching singles, but those victory singles I have may no longer have the BWM. However the BWM singles should still have the Victorys out there.

I have colected to non Lincs Regt, but these were men from the county. These I sold on to purchase Lincs medals. The only non Lincs Regt I still own is to 'George Brumpton' (see Below). If anyone is interested his service papers are on ancestry.

I collect to The Royal Scots Fusiliers (medals from any era Victorian, WW1 etc).

Would also be happy to hear from anyone wishing to part with medals to this Regiment.

Regards

Vince

Haven't started yet but will focus on the 2/6th Glosters my GGF unit.

Simon.

Complete AIF infantry groups. A particular interest in 8th and 12th Brigade Battalions because of family.