Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is your Medal collecting theme

davidhughhill

Hi Nigel

I have a few bits to the Leeds Pals and I have Laurie Milner's book.

I am originally from Bradford which will explain the 16/18/21 bn's.

Price has lot to do with I guess, having said that the others don't come cheap

Peter

Guest Rundberg

My main interest is Duke of Cornwall´s Light Infantry 1702-1918.

By the way, I´m more than willing to provide a good home for a DCLI WW1 trio to a St Ives recipient... :blush:

Cheers,

Chris

I am not a medal collector, and have but one, but I would NEVER part with it.

It is a very small, brown, insignificant looking medal, still with a small length of Belgian national ribbon on.

One side is a picture of the Menin Gate and the other is the date....1927.

It is a widow's medal, from one of those who could afford to go and collect it at the dedication ceremony. I take it with me regularly when I go to the Last Post, keeping it in a pocket, but knowing that it was presented to one of the widows whose husbands are commemmorated on the Gate.

If anyone ever hears of another anywhere for sale, I would love to buy another one, as i promised the curator at In Flanders Fields I would donate one if i came across a second.

Bruce

Hi all

Scottish regiments exp. R.S. & A & S.H. and R.A. units as I can afford it.

Would be great to get family medals!!

regards

Robert

Hello.

I collect German WWI and Schleswig-Holstein 1848-1864, Danish-German Wars and WWI Propaganda Iron Cross.

Regards Mads

I bought a miniture WW1 trio, for about £25, and a miniture RNGS medal with Persian Gulf clasp 1909-1914. That one cost nearly £60. An uncle sold my grandfathers original medals about 30 years a go, including his WW2 ones. Alby.

• 3 weeks later...

My theme is St Dunstan's sports medals - these medals were issued in the 1920's to raise funds for blind ex-service men & women from WW1. See example.

St. Dunstan's is still providing support for blind/partially sighted service personnel to this day - www.st-dunstans.org.uk

Fattorini gold & silver sports medals from 1900 - 1950 ( see example) & their WW1 military badges - 1915 On War Service Brass badges were some of many types produced.

Will show what i have done with our family WW1 grandfathers medals etc. as well.

Have a Victory medal for my great uncle R/609 Able Seaman, Sydney Rodney Cyril Vince. Anson Bn. RNVR - KIA 26.10.17 at Varlet Farm near Passchendaele.

MISSING his silver 1914-1918 Great War medal! If anyone has or comes across I really would want to recover it for the family ...........please. :D

post-51610-1265975260.jpg

post-51610-1265975312.jpg

Fattorini - 1915 On War Service badge.

44510 A-Cpl. Stanley Gilbert Gordon Vince, Manchester Regiment 20th & 22nd Bn's

18222 Pte. George Ernest Snell, Essex Regiment 1st Bn

post-51610-1265975529.jpg

post-51610-1265975586.jpg

post-51610-1265975805.jpg

G'day all,

My medal collecting theme is any medals to members of QMAAC and medals to the 52nd battalion A.I.F.

Kind Regards

Tim

Tim 52nd Battalion may i ask why the 52nd ..just curious as you can read my user name you kind of get why i am asking ..

MC

7th Beds. Just picked up a 1st July casualty today :-)

• 1 month later...

I have a 1914 Star to a Pte Lindsey 2/Essex

My favourite theme is the 1/DCLI 1914 Star, I have done a lot of research on this battalion and have over 250 service records and the complete 1914 star medal roll for the men of this battalion that are entitled to the 1914 Star, sadly I only have 3 1914 stars to this Regiment. But still searching.

However, I do have ww1 medals to the following regts. Mainly 1914 stars but a few 1914/15 stars

1 KRRC, 2 KRRC

1 Royal Fusiliers, 4 Royal Fusilers

1 KSLI, 2 KSLI

2 Leinster Regt, 2 Royal Irish Rifles

1 Rifle Brigade, 10 R W Surrey Regt

2 East Kent Regt, 8 Royal Lanc Regt

1 Grenadier Guards, 3 Worcs Regt

2 York and Lancs Regt, 2 Essex

2 Lancs Fusilers, 1 Dorset Regt

2 Royal Warwickshire Regt

2 Middlesex Reg and 2 Northumberland Fusiliers.

I collect to the South Staffs, the finest TF division to serve on the Western Front..... The 46th North Midland Division and finally the Shropshire Town of Dawley (where I live) all of course when money and the Wife allow!!

I collect to the South Staffs, the finest TF division to serve on the Western Front..... The 46th North Midland Division and finally the Shropshire Town of Dawley (where I live) all of course when money and the Wife allow!!

The finest TF Division ! How do you know that ?

Neil

As all and sundry know on this forum, I collect to anything to the pre-WW1 regular, Territorial & WW1 Lincolnshire Regiment Service Battalions. You name it and I'll want to buy it.

I also collect to the 4th (SR) South Staffords, though only casualties lost on the 10th April, 1918. I have a few, but live in hope to find the BWM/VM to my Grandmother's brother, Joseph Dixon. His Death Plaque turned up at an uncles house last year.

My collection has a family name theme, too. Anything to the name HUMBERSTONE or variants of the name. Adgain these are few and far between, though I picked up a nice Lincs Regt pair to a Humberstone.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...
The finest TF Division ! How do you know that ?

Neil

A quote from the period - The 46th NMD carried out the Finest feat of arms by any division when they broke through the Hindenburg Line in September 1918

Need I say More

Hi

I collect medals to men from Sussex who served in the Royal Sussex Regiment and Medals to the Merchant Navy especially Radio Officers/ Wireless Operators

Alfred

European Military Medals (mainly to the other ranks),

from 1813 - post 1945.

A nice size selection of WW1 era German medal bars / Spange with approximately 30 Iron Cross II Classes.

As well as a selection of Inter-Allied Victory Medal from the various Allied Nations, but NOT all :(

My British section to WW1 is very small (have yet to pick up a 1914 or 1914 / 1915 Star.)

With regards what happens the entire collection after I kick the bucket,

these items can go the way of anybody's collection be it coins, stamps, postcards

I have a note book listing basic values, updated too prices seen online

my wife then will have an idea what to look for, but she has been warned not to accept any rip-off offers.

For me its not about the money its the love of searching for and collecting the items and history associated with them,

however you cannot expect your family(but you can hope) too have the same values unless they are passionately

interested in the same things you are.

Connaught Stranger. :D

I know what you mean about values after you kick the bucket !!!!

an issue that comes up often

MC

Hi

I collect medals to men from Sussex who served in the Royal Sussex Regiment and Medals to the Merchant Navy especially Radio Officers/ Wireless Operators

Alfred

Alfred - have you seen my post re. Private J.E. Faulkner of the Royal Sussex?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Alfred - have you seen my post re. Private J.E. Faulkner of the Royal Sussex?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Hi Maldon

yes I saw your post to J.E Faulkner very interesting find,thats the thing about medal collecting you never know what will turn up next. I have photos of the memorial in the Hove Library and J.E Faulkner is on there.

Regards

Alfred

post-54855-1272362262.jpg

I used to collect a range of WWI Medals including RN and R W Kents but have now changed my main WWI theme to medals to dockyard civilian workers who served at sea with the RN - medals named 'Service With The Royal Navy'. Most only got the BWM but some added ISMs and a few got 1914-5 Trios. So far I've only got one trio.

post-34546-1272388793.jpg

I used to collect a range of WWI Medals including RN and R W Kents but have now changed my main WWI theme to medals to dockyard civilian workers who served at sea with the RN - medals named 'Service With The Royal Navy'. Most only got the BWM but some added ISMs and a few got 1914-5 Trios. So far I've only got one trio.

If you have the chance, I for one would be quite interested to see a few pictures of the naming, especially on the trio.