Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

interesting fence post at Dranoutre

joanbelge

post-48991-1253742524.jpgpost-48991-1253742524.jpgSaw this in May between Kemmel and Dranoutre

Some sort of axle I would guess, no doubt someone will be able to tell us exactly what from.

Richard

The top of it is a shell cartridge. I have no doubt someone will be able to identify type, date and place of manufacture, and the name of the girl who packed it.

Please Chris do try to get things right. The top is a shell case not cartridge and is a British 6in made in 1916 (Feb) on a Tuesday at Arkwrights Munitions & Margarine Works by a girl called Maureen aged about 22 and living with her Mum in a 2 up 2 down in Entwhistle St. Bolton (No, 23). Here is a photo of her after war with her Husband Ernest and the boys Edward and George, any more info required just ask

Norman :D

1301105617_33e67c1762_b.jpg

So what service did Edward and George see in WW2?

:lol:

Bruce

I really don't see why Maureen gets all the glory just for packing the shell.

Ethel and Dolly from shell turning and base ending deserve a mention, also Minnie filled the shell, Daisy varnished it and Mr Fred Witherspoon inspected it.

Please remember that this is an intellectual forum and proper research is of paramount importance (except for any mistakes I may have made above, which are completely acceptable).

I really don't see why Maureen gets all the glory just for packing the shell.

Ethel and Dolly from shell turning and base ending deserve a mention, also Minnie filled the shell, Daisy varnished it and Mr Fred Witherspoon inspected it.

Please remember that this is an intellectual forum and proper research is of paramount importance (except for any mistakes I may have made above, which are completely acceptable).

Do you reckon that old boy in photo can climb a tree, though?

Maureen’s Husband Ernest was a Foreman at Arkwrights and was responsible for banging the ends of filled shells with a hammer to ensure the high explosive was distributed evenly. This task regrettably aged him considerably and you would not believe that he is only 30 years old in the photo. I do apologise the boys names were transposed George is of course the one on the left. Their ages seem at first glance to be very close and indeed people have remarked as much. Maureen, much to her surprise fell pregnant with George or was is it Edward shortly after the Works outing to Skegness which unfortunately Ernest was unable to attend as he was suffering from a persistent “ringing in the ears” which continued into old age. Here is the only photo existing of the “munitionettes” on the Skegness trip.

Norman

1049420178_03c5b3731b_b.jpg

A magnificient pair of Bristols.

Phil.

I find this last photo sad and poignant. This is Maureen shortly before she exclaimed “blow it I can do it” and shot off down the road right into the path of a steam road roller. A tragic end to one of the “unsung heroes” of WW1. Ernest was a good Father to the boys and with the insurance money from the accident he ensured that they both learnt to play the piano. In WW2 they were well known as entertainers to the troops performing on the piano and telling gags under the stage name “The Two Twerps”.

Thank you all for your forbearance but I think you will agree that this was a story worth the telling.

The End

Norman

1427944124_a249d88fc5.jpg

Where did she and her husband move to after the war? It is unlikely that she stayed in Bolton as brick built terraces are uncommon in that area, stone being the usual material.

Sorry to be pedantic but attention to detail is a must

Peter

Peter you are of course correct the photo is of Ernest, Maureen and the boys outside of their Bedminster, Bristol home at 131 Whitehouse Lane. This house backed onto the railway line from Temple Meads and was one of 32 houses erected by a builder called Adams in 1896. They were extremely small and basic with a parlour, kitchen and tiny scullery all crammed in downstairs. There were three small bedrooms upstairs and a small structure outside housing the WC.

I hope this helps

Norman

Just a final piece of pedantry. Maureen perished under the wheels of an Aveling and Porter 8-tonner , reg. no. TN 216. Not a lot of people know that.

Phil.