Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

interesting fence post at Dranoutre

joanbelge

1. I hope that joan got to see the answer to her original post

2. Chris.....you should have known better!

3. I don't laugh out loud often, but I have done with this thread. It was great!

:lol:

Bruce

Poor Joan,

Did she actually get a decent answer as most do from the GWF members

Ray

Well it only goes to show, you never know where a thread is going to finish up!!! I am actually very interested in events around Dranoutre in April 1918, but enjoyed the detour!

Thank you Joan for as it were bearing with us as we demonstrated the level of research that is possible these days from just a fragment of information. I hope you enjoyed the story of Maureen, Ernest and the boys and that this somehow in some small way made the fence "come to life" if only for a short while.

Regards

Norman :D

David of course it’s true, in fact thanks to Phil (Post 20) I have after much research managed to find a very rare newspaper photo of the actual Steam Roller responsible for Maureen’s demise. It is good to see it preserved as a tribute to her. I am welling up now so must go……….

Regards

Norman

3955572386_3751d99ddf.jpg

Great thread this, but what I would like to know is: how did a roadroller registered in Newcastle upon Tyne get to Bristol? Not under its own steam, I suspect

cheers Martin B

Easy Martin. Those of us who used to watch 'It's a knockout' on friday nights back in the 60's will know it was based upon Charles de Gaulle's 'Jeux Sans Frontieres'. This inter-town event was itself based on the Edwardian Steam ploughing contests, resurrected after WW1 and introducing The Road-Roller gymkana event to the games.

In 1919 the Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds gymkana was ruined by Bristol, when playing their Joker, kidnapped the Newcastle driver and stole the machine. It was found in a shed in 1972 and pictured in the Local Paper as in Post 32.

This is all in Stuart Hall's 'Guide To Historical Facts'

Phil.

Easy Martin. Those of us who used to watch 'It's a knockout' on friday nights back in the 60's will know it was based upon Charles de Gaulle's 'Jeux Sans Frontieres'. This inter-town event was itself based on the Edwardian Steam ploughing contests, resurrected after WW1 and introducing The Road-Roller gymkana event to the games.

In 1919 the Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds gymkana was ruined by Bristol, when playing their Joker, kidnapped the Newcastle driver and stole the machine. It was found in a shed in 1972 and pictured in the Local Paper as in Post 32.

This is all in Stuart Hall's 'Guide To Historical Facts'

Phil.

I remember now, Newcastle couldn't finish because they had lost their machine, Bristol were disqualified for cheating so Leeds won by default.

thanks and cheers Martin B

I am getting a bit fed up with this thread as some people refuse to take my extensive research seriously . In fact I have a good mind to start contributing to the current "Blackadder" thread of which this comment is a prime example :-

"The cap and collar badge appears to be a mix of different badges. It looks like the wreath, crown and possible the scroll are from the Veterinary Corps badge and the castle seems like the Inniskilling Dragoons. The implied regiment that George is thought to have joined is the either the Suffolk or Cambridgeshire Reg. The 19th/45th East African Rifles is of course fictional. Though it does bring up the point as to why Blackadder wasn't awarded an East & Central or East and West Africa campaign medal..."

As a serious researcher and historian that thread seems to be right up my street.

Regards

Norman :rolleyes:

I am getting a bit fed up with this thread as some people refuse to take my extensive research seriously . In fact I have a good mind to start contributing to the current "Blackadder" thread

My last post, too, Noman.

Having consulted Stuart Hall's Autobiography "Miscellanies of Parphernalia", I find that a young Eddie Waring was Ist.Stoker on the Leeds Engine.

Thank you for the Fence Posts, Joan. Have you any more pics to show of your trip?

Phil.

Thank you Phil for your erudite and thoughtful contributions to this thread. It is good to know that such intellectual discussions can still take place on a level of mutual understanding and respect.

Best Wishes

Norman :lol:

Slackbladder,It's a Cock Up, can we please not just continue the fence-post humour.

I'd rather read the sad tale being played out on this Thread than reality that is supposed to be portrayed by Television Soaps.

No room for carbolic in the expanding tome?

George

I do have more photos of Dranoutre and Locre including Major Redmonds grave.....but am worried about Maureens cousin Mildred getting in on the act!!!!

Joan, it would be lovely to see some more of your photos so please post them. How did you know about Mildred? Although cousins Maureen and Mildred were never that really as you would say close. I think the problem was that Mildred married well above her station into the Payton family who owned various shops here in Bristol. This photo shows Mildred and Albert Payton standing proudly outside of their combined Pork Butchers and Tobacconists shop, an unusual combination even in those days and located in what was then a rather insalubrious part of the City. After Maureen’s unfortunate episode with the steam roller Mildred was a great help to Ernest by looking in on the boys at least once a month (sometimes) to check on their welfare.

Regards

Norman

Researcher & Historian

1048866806_e136f35cf4_b.jpg

post-48991-1253994133.jpgMildred was the penpal of my Belgian friends Great Aunt.....anyway to the photos, my great uncle has no known grave he ws said by hiscommanding officier to be buried on a farm near Dranoutre hence lots of pictures of farms

Having lots of trouble uploading photos will try tomorrow

Rayessex,yes you are right; they both look a bit dodgy to me. Notice the moustache (on Albert) and the slicked-back hair (also on Albert). Ernest was of the opinion that Mildred’s regular (sometimes every month) visits were really just a ploy to check on the progress of the insurance claim. Luckily the sum of £23 was paid by cheque and Ernest immediately paid it in to his local branch of Coutts who as a matter of interest actually sent a chauffer-driven car to take him and the boys to the bank. After this the visits from Mildred tailed off until they stopped completely after Albert was jailed for embezzlement in 1930.

I hope I have not upset anyone by continuing this topic but I believe that Joan did deserve a response as she obviously has some knowledge of the family.

Thank You

Norman

Norman,

Furthur research into George and Edward's career as "The Two Twerps" puts a Walter A Payton as their Manager and Agent during 1941. Do you think this is our Man? The Twerps appeared with Al Bowlly, and Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson's Band at the Cafe de Paris, and went down a bomb, which is unfortunately what Al did a couple of months later.

Joan. Good luck with uploading the pictures. Barbed wire is a poignant feature in your shots.

Phil.

Phil thanks for the info this started me into researching the Music Halls and by a fantastic bit of luck I have actually found an original poster where the "Two Twerps" appear on the Bill. This is quite remarkable and I just had to share this unbelievable find with members.

Regards

Norman

3957559965_4331485c75_o.jpg