Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

interesting fence post at Dranoutre

joanbelge

As I was browsing this thread, I was struck by the Arkwright family portrait (Post #79). It seems almost certain that the two women (centre and centre right) in the middle row are sisters and that they suffer from a rare genetic disorder. At that time the condition was called Flastus’s Curse. The sole cause, according to the Journal of Legume Side Effects, is excessive consumption of Phaseolus vulgaris (white navy beans). The extraordinary production and subsequent energetic displacement of internal hydrogen and/or methane produced by Phaseolus sp. creates negative air pressure within the body to such a degree that the human body can “implode.” The initial stage of this affliction is clearly evident in visages of these women and has given them an appearance of being sucked into the body. Today, this disease is easily treated treated with a diet of rare to medium-rare red meat and chedder cheese.

Brilliant Sean and how very perceptive of you to spot the sufferers of this very rare physical disorder. I do believe that you have perhaps accidentally stumbled on the reason why the female members of this family went on to dominate both the All England and European Womens Gurning Championships for so long proving once again that old adage, "Every cloud has a silver lining”. Thank you once again for your valuable contribution to this academic and learned thread.

Regards

Norman

Brilliant Sean and how very perceptive of you to spot the sufferers of this very rare physical disorder. I do believe that you have perhaps accidentally stumbled on the reason why the female members of this family went on to dominate both the All England and European Womens Gurning Championships for so long proving once again that old adage, "Every cloud has a silver lining”. Thank you once again for your valuable contribution to this academic and learned thread.

Regards

Norman

Perhaps, these women changed that adage to read: every cloud has a gold lining?

It is sad, too, that, as the photo graphically illustrates, the other family members could not escape the women's suffering.

Sean as you so graphically described in your original post one of the unfortunate side-effects connected to this distressing condition relates to the production of methane. For the sake of the other members I will not go into the intimate details except to say that it appears to me having studied the photo with a high-powered lens that the rest of the group seem desperately trying not to inhale for the time that the glass plate in the camera took to expose.

Regards

Norman

having studied the photo with a high-powered lens that the rest of the group seem desperately trying not to inhale for the time that the glass plate in the camera took to expose.

That might explain the vacant cushion on the left!; I did wonder if the gentleman on the right might have had to resort to the use of a cushion to ease his suffering from a far more common malady which, although often the butt of crude jokes in the rougher ale houses of the day, was seldom - if at all - discussed in polite society.

NigelS

Sean as you so graphically described in your original post one of the unfortunate side-effects connected to this distressing condition relates to the production of methane. For the sake of the other members I will not go into the intimate details except to say that it appears to me having studied the photo with a high-powered lens that the rest of the group seem desperately trying not to inhale for the time that the glass plate in the camera took to expose.

Regards

Norman

Which only confirms the theory that vegetarians contribute to global warming more than they care to admit, and that the best way to reduce emissions is to eat one, preferably a fully organic vegan, or, if that fails, a cow.

• 6 years later...

Peter you are of course correct the photo is of Ernest, Maureen and the boys outside of their Bedminster, Bristol home at 131 Whitehouse Lane. This house backed onto the railway line from Temple Meads and was one of 32 houses erected by a builder called Adams in 1896. They were extremely small and basic with a parlour, kitchen and tiny scullery all crammed in downstairs. There were three small bedrooms upstairs and a small structure outside housing the WC.

I hope this helps

Norman

Seadog, Amazing but I recently received the Shire publishing book, "Victorian House Building" and the very floor plan is featured. However, I still think the post looks like a table leg ? Bif

Wow ! I just realized this is a post from '09. No, "the Yanks" haven't gone batty, just carried away by the number of author/comedians this site seems to produce.

Better late than not at all, Bif