Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

interesting fence post at Dranoutre

joanbelge

Brilliant from start to finish.

Dave Upton

Not yet, Dave.

Stuart Hall's reference work tells us furthur exploits of Mildred in the late thirties. On the late Maureen's behalf, she attended an Arkwrights reunion bash with Dolly, Daisy, Ethel, Minnie and many more now late middle-aged ladies. 'Pervey' Payton, as he was now known, spotted an opportunity and persuaded the women to pose for an 'Art' Calender. In the name of art, the ladies posed naked, one for each month, with discreet shrubbery concealing any embarassment. Mildred aptly lurked behind a Weigela Bristol Ruby. Thus the original Calender Girls were established. The Calender appeared as a free gift with the September '39 issue of 'Spick 'n Span', but no known copies are thought to exist. Collaboration with Norman may produce furthur results,though.

Phil.

Phil thanks once again for triggering off my train of thought in this case the Arkwright family. Having amassed a considerable fortune during WW1 they sold the business to Armstrong’s in the 1920`s but cannily retained the margarine works which although operating in the same factory as the munitions production and sharing some of the same production lines was a profitable business. Old Mr Arkwright unexpectedly died following a tragic accident on a Grouse Shoot, when experiencing a misfire with his Purdy 12 bore he looked down the barrels while Ernest (ex foreman & shell “knocker”) gently tapped the breech with his WW1 hammer which he had retained for sentimental purposes. It goes without saying that this action did clear the blockage. His widow, Hilda lived well into old age and remained in the Big House with her faithful retainers. Some of you will no doubt recognise Ethel from shell turning (Post 11) on the extreme left.

Regards

Norman

Etc

3965758488_1ccc1d2a85_b.jpg

Those of you who are keen researchers and historians will of course have noticed the somewhat “dated” look to the photo. The reason being that following Old Mr Arkwrights unfortunate accident with the shotgun Hilda decreed that from that day forth both she and the household would enter a period of mourning dressed only in Victorian clothes. As is obvious from the photo this was a joyous house and the sound of laughter could always be heard echoing through the 140 rooms (plus one outside loo).

Norman

R etc

So how did the Two Twits escape conscription in WW2?

Was it the hereditary club feet, or were strings pulled?

I think the truth should be told......................

Bruce

Has anyone else noticed that several of the chaps in that photo are wearing frocks?

Gentlemen a little respect and decorum would be in order if you please. I have since discovered that this group photo was taken shortly after the funeral of Old Mr Arkwright hence the understandable gloomy faces and as for the lack of teeth you try living on a diet of lard, tripe and pigs trotters, not to mention industrial strength suet pudding and margarine with a slight tang of cordite.

Thank you

Norman

Is there a story behind the animal pelt (try as I may, I haven't been able to identify what type of now endangered species it might be) that's warming hilda's lap - an earlier victim of the Purdey maybe?

NigelS

Any relation to the American Munster family? I see a striking resemblance?

JP

Seems to have too many legs, or tails, or whatever sticking out.

Grumpy, to what or whom are you referring to the pelt or Old Mrs Hilda Arkwright?. For your information the pelt did belong to the rare Lancashire six-legged sheep bred in the war years as an attempt to maximise meat production in a time of great shortages. Before any of you wags post such inane comments as “how did you catch it” etc I can tell you that this experiment would have been a success were it not for the fact that the legs were not evenly distributed. In fact the number of legs on either side of the animal were purely arbitrary and this is what led to its eventual demise.

Norman

Researcher & Sheep Expert

Clearly the odds on an assymetrical distribution of legs was fairly high: such a beast would be easy to catch as it would tend to run in circles, towards the side with fewer legs.

Question is, would it need an extra pair of wellingtons?

With assymetrical leg distribution, purchase of pairs of wellingtons must have lead to a surplus of left or right hand boots, unless, of course, the leg distribution across the flock allowed 'mix and match' to balance things out?

NigelS

Clearly the odds on an assymetrical distribution of legs was fairly high: such a beast would be easy to catch as it would tend to run in circles, towards the side with fewer legs.

Franc-tireur skindling again, eh, Grumpmeister ... B)

Where sheep may safely graze.......................

Brilliant from start to finish II...

Hold on there again, Dave lad. An Arkwright connection from Egremont, in the Lake District, have been entering the local Crab Apple Fair for almost a Century.

Pause this Video after 6/7 Seconds to see Ada Arkwright do her best to charm the crowd. Norman may have furthur details of any other remaining scions of this remarkable dynasty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8271755.stm

Phil.

An amazing piece of research Phil, I believe that the Ada on the video is the Great-Granddaughter of Sophronia Arkwright who appears in the photo clutching that famous book (The) “Ancient Art of Gurning” by the master of the art, Josephus (No Teeth) Enderby (1861 – 1890). Here is a close-up of Sophronia and the resemblance is remarkable. You are indeed a master of completely pointless research and I doff my metaphorical hat to you.

Norman

post-21884-1254423785.jpg