Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

interesting fence post at Dranoutre

joanbelge

This is quite an amazing coincidence as I was talking to my Grandmother just before she died and one of her most treasured memories was at this performance! Isn't that just stunning!

She fondly recalls the two numbers they did, 'If you were the only girl in the world, you'd better have a damned strong back' and their own signature piece - 'Don't go down to the docks mother, father has come home with the crabs'.

Brought the house down apparantly.

Thank you Steve for sharing those excellent reminiscences from your dear old granny with us and what wonderful “sing along” type songs they were. As for “bringing the house down” that would have been quite simple with Earnshaws Theatre as it was built on the spoil heap of mud and earth removed to create the canal which passes at the rear of the building. As the poster states the Theatre was also opposite a very busy Tannery which at one time worked 24 hours around the clock.

I have further researched the acts on the poster and feel that it is important that I clarify the so called “Dame Nellie Melba”, this in fact was a 52 yrs old woman called Doris Melba who had worked for years in the tobacco stripping room of the local Ogdens factory. According to my extensive research she had started out in the Halls with a dog act (just one) then advanced to a contortionist’s assistant before adopting her latest stage name. I think it is important that I informed people of this fact in order to obviate any confusion.

Thanks

Norman

Researcher & Historian

post-48991-1254078206.jpgpost-48991-1254078206.jpgpost-48991-1254078228.jpgpost-48991-1254078243.jpgSorry to bring things down to earth but trying again with posting photos

post-48991-1254078527.jpgpost-48991-1254078543.jpgpost-3-1052165451.jpgOn a roll now

post-48991-1254078588.jpg

A little cross perhaps..(sorry - no offence).

sorry being a bit dim......." a little cross?" if in relation to the turn the thread took.....not at all I do have a sense of humour! if in relation to the cross on Redmond,s grave???? dont understand

Joan,

Wonderful photographs of the countryside, landscape, farms and fields from your trip. The serene nature of it all makes it difficult to imagine the full scale warfare in the area, and thus the reason for your visit. Many secrets will be held here, and can only be imagined.

Norman has stumbled upon the very beginning of the tribute artist and group movement which had happened as a direct result of the depression. Doris Melba, Peaches Pudding, The Dessert Dame, and Nellie the Jelliphant all cashed in on the diva's fame and were much less expensive too. The Two Twerps suffered from this cloning too, and WA Payton was always busy with lawsuits served on The Pair of Tw**s, Twerps Substitute, and Twerpa-Twerpa Cheap-Cheap. Norman has my admiration for his mastery of this era.

Phil.

The bus driver on the left looks like he might be smiling.

I think it's probably P P J Ling, who opened the batting for Lancashire in '26 and '27.

His brother (S M I Ling) never got beyond stage one of his charabanc-handling course and ended up, a broken man, in Upper Rumbabaland in the thirties.

So its not an Axel then!!!!

Ray

A rose by any other name smells half so sweet, I believe.

[quote name=

A rose by any other name smells half so sweet, I believe.

Been thinking about this reply to my post for blinking hours, do you know, I think I`ve actually got it. Wow I come over all intelligent, thank you Mr Broomfield.

Ray

It is the sort of semi=lateral thought that helps in one of his music quizzes...

:lol:

Bruce

Newspaper stand?

I thought newspapers were torn into sheets and attached to a nail on the lavvie door.You will appreciate their use although it was never explained to me when I first visited the outside WC.Sorry, never checked the make of WC but the 1950's are a long time ago.

George

Gentlemen, I am afraid that you are all wrong in this instance. The WC was in fact a “ThundererMk2,Long Drop” utility device. This particular model was fitted as standard with the “Comfy Botty” English handmade genuine wooden seat sanded to perfection and then painted with three coats of non-slip “Wonderglow” waterproof (and other things) varnish made by the well known family firm of Hardimans in Birmingham.

Thank you for your interest in this matter

Norman

Researcher & Historian

Phil please forgive me for the somewhat belated reply to your very kind comments. I have been out researching all day and did not have a chance to respond until now. I much appreciate your comments but remember it is good people like Joan who act as the catalyst for threads such as these and also your good self who I have to say has been a constant source of encouragement to me in the sometimes thankless task of researching. Your , if I may say so, historic research connecting the birth of tribute acts to the old music halls is outstanding and worthy of a proper book.

Thanks once again

I remain

Norman

R & H etc.

Just out of idle curiosity, has anyone figured out what the fence posts where in post#1?

One or the other, anyway.

I always thought it was a shell case

There should be no confusion here. If you read post No.7 you will find that Chris Baker extrapolated the opinion that the objects are in fact artillery shell cartridges. I then offered the explanation in post No.8 which I feel is the correct one that the objects are in fact artillery shell cases and I am of the further opinion that they are piled as it were nose to nose.

Regards

Norman

Researcher & Historian

Seadog,

Your just saying that because you don`t know anyone who worked in the Axel Factory.

But seriously Just can`t see a Shell case, looking hard just cant see it. If we assume the top Shell case is upside down, then surely the rim is far to thick to fit between the Barrell and the breach.

Ray

Correct Ray. that is where the copper driving band would be located. Sorry to be so pedantic but these things are known as shell cases, cartridge cases contained the propellant such as cordite and were either fixed to the shell case as the Brtish 18 pdr or separate as the 4.5in howitzer.

There are some example here on my Flickr photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/sets...57616167273771/

Cheers

Norman