Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Just finished reading 'Rolling into Action' by Captain D.E Hickey, a very good Tank Corps memoir and am now reading ' A Company of Tanks' by Major W.H.L Watson.

Just started to reread A Medico's Luck in the War. I shouldn't because I have new material I need to be reading and now I'm posting this, I feel quite guilty but I've started so I'll finish.

Anorak, or what? Just started the 1914 Manual of Military Law which I found, surprisingly cheap, in Hay on Wye this week.

That should be interesting! I was told in the late 90s that they were going to amend the MAFL to remove obsolete entries such as having to sleep a certain distance away from your horse if you had to share the same accommodation. I can only assume that was to prevent trampling and not to prevent arguments over who had the most of the duvet (read blanket)!

No not bad at all, Secret Battle is a brilliant book. However it is soooo depressing. I know our shared obsession is never exactly a barrel of laughs but there is depressing and there is depressing and trust me this is depressing :(

Myths and legends is entertaining and lightweight, Drawing Fire especially the hardback is just a beautiful book to handle and read/look at, and then gird your loins for Herbert :thumbsup:

David

David,

You were so right about Herbert!!! Quite interesting when compared to the real facts it's supposed to be based upon but indeed... depressing!!! I've read my share of diaries and reports on the actions on the fronts, but this is just artificially gloomy and dark.

And you were right about the other ones too. Myths and Legends were fun to read but I really could not get my hands off "Drawing fire". My comrades were joking in class today "you've switched to comics now... more pictures, easier to understand..." the first one was funny, the second less and the third one got one of those glances from me that made the rest of the class shut up about the topic !! Anyway, the book's absolutely brilliant!!

I've got some articles to read now and then I'll be getting on with my list... hmmm... which one to choose now??

MM.

I've got some articles to read now and then I'll be getting on with my list... hmmm... which one to choose now??

MM.

Marilyne

Well as our tastes seem to run in broadly similar lines pehaps I could suggest a book I'm currently enjoying.

'Challenge of Battle' by Adrian Gilbert is a recently published book on the BEF's 1914 campaign. I have not finished it but am already completely won over by the argument and the style of the book. Although it is telling a tale retold so many times before, the book really has found something new to say. I would agree with the word used often in the reviews - 'balanced'. The BEF in 1914 is regularly portrayed as a fantastic army which is just too small to cope with a German Army it still regularly outfights. Gilbert is not afraid to chip away at this image of the BEF as elite troops while at the same time praising the way the hard lessons were learned. So far a more believable picture of the campaign and the army that fought it is emerging.

About to get to one of my favourite actions of the whole war - the Worcesters and the South Wales Borderers at Gheluvelt - almost nervous that my view of this action is going to be forever changed!

Heartily recommended

David

'Challenge of Battle' by Adrian Gilbert is a recently published book on the BEF's 1914 campaign.

Thanks!!

I'm going to write down the title, but unfortunately, I'm bound by a promise I made some time ago on this thread that I won't buy any new books on the war before I've finished the pile still waiting :wacko: ... which is now down to 35 works, fortunately. :w00t:

I'll let you know when I'm done!!

M.

David

I have both these books on my kindle, which one do I read first:

Challenge of Battle or The Old Contemptibles by Robin Neilands

Joe

David

Joe

Joe

Unlike a lot of people on the forum I like Neilands, and 'The Old Contemptibles' book. It started my interest in that period. However even though I'm only halfway through 'Challenge of Battle' it is clearly the better book by a distance. Neliands does spend longer on the pre-war period - Wilson et al - but as a book about the campaign Gilbert's is streets ahead.

David

Just finished 'Tommy at Gommecourt', the diary of Thomas James Higgins of 1/5 North Staffs.

What an incredible story and a quite remarkable man. Such a matter of fact delivery describing events that are quite unimaginable to us pampered 21st century folk.

Particularly moving are his accounts of his homecoming in December 1918 after being a POW for 18 months, and his poem on the eve of the first day of the Somme.

Can't recommend it enough. A quite humbling experience.

David

Joe

try one chapter of each at a time??? :w00t::w00t:

MM.

I am currently reading AUCKLAND REGIMENT 1914-1918: Being an Account of the Doings on Active Service of the First, Second and Third Battalions of the Auckland Regiment, after reading the NEW ZEALAND DIVISION 1916-1919. The New Zealanders in France. I am finding it easy to read and very interesting - explaining much of what wasn't covered in detail in the latter book.

post-61811-0-61991200-1395549114_thumb.j post-61811-0-27040900-1395549128_thumb.j

Joe

Unlike a lot of people on the forum I like Neilands, and 'The Old Contemptibles' book. It started my interest in that period. However even though I'm only halfway through 'Challenge of Battle' it is clearly the better book by a distance. Neliands does spend longer on the pre-war period - Wilson et al - but as a book about the campaign Gilbert's is streets ahead.

David

Now you are getting me to buy books David!!!! I've just finished John Sheen's book on 2DLI, 'The Steel of the DLI' as I was looking into a local officer who fell with this battalion during the Spring Offensive, a good read, as I'm sure DLI interested parties already know. Moved from there back to Neillands and his 'OC', as I like his style, but looks like Gilbert's will be in the basket straight after!!

Thanks David (the missus thanks you too, with rolling pin a-waving lol!!)

Dismembering The Male, Mens bodies,britain and the great war. by Joanna Bourke

Totally fascinating

I've finished 'Storm of Steel' by Ernst Junger. I understand his diaries are to be published but in German only. My latest read is 'Sniping in the Great War' which covers the equipment and the author was able to interview many of the sharpshooters before they passed. It gives light to a somewhat obscure method of warfare and the trials they faced trying to get optics on rifles. It deals with both German and Allied forces.

Now you are getting me to buy books David!!!! I've just finished John Sheen's book on 2DLI, 'The Steel of the DLI' as I was looking into a local officer who fell with this battalion during the Spring Offensive, a good read, as I'm sure DLI interested parties already know. Moved from there back to Neillands and his 'OC', as I like his style, but looks like Gilbert's will be in the basket straight after!!

Thanks David (the missus thanks you too, with rolling pin a-waving lol!!)

I'll be sure to let Pete know Jim (and it is a cracking book!)

Good reading

David

I'll be sure to let Pete know Jim (and it is a cracking book!)

I think this is a conspiracy. I'm currently reading Citizen Soldiers by Helen McCartney on David's recommendation; it annoys me to say it's excellent and is telling me a lot of things about Merseyside I didn't know.

Now you are getting me to buy books David!!!!

I think this is a conspiracy. I'm currently reading Citizen Soldiers by Helen McCartney on David's recommendation; it annoys me to say it's excellent and is telling me a lot of things about Merseyside I didn't know.

Sorry to butt in but does that book make mention of the anti german riots or knockaloe....??

It's not strictly on topic but regarding the subject of 'Citizen Soldiers' , the Liverpool Scottish are disbanded as of 1 April 2014, ending 114 years of service.

Just Started Life, Death and Growing Up on the Western Front, by Anthony Fletcher finding it a bit slow going at the moment but hoping it picks up a bit!

Sorry to butt in but does that book make mention of the anti german riots or knockaloe....??

Not so far; I'll keep a lookout and check the index....

Pete.

post-107844-0-38995200-1395795712_thumb.

Not so far; I'll keep a lookout and check the index....

Pete.

Thanks, info hard to come by..

With so many people jumping on the front of the centenary bandwagon, Nick Lloyd seems determined to be the first man on the back. I've just started his 'Hundred Days, The End of the Great War.' So far, so pretty good. I'm glad to see he starts the Allied counter-offensives with Second Marne and not the Battle of Amiens

Cheers Martin B

Edited by MartinBennitt

Just browsed through the magnificent "Silent Fields" by Bart Heirweg. He's an amazing photographer and his book, the result of two years of photography in Flanders Fields is amazing. you can see the pictures here: http://www.bartheirweg.com/en

and I'm quick reading Nigel Mc Crery's "All the King's Men", on the Sandringham company that is said to have "vanished" in strange clouds in Gallipoli. quite interesting reading!

MM.