The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Hi Hazel,

There are 'The Works' in both places

24 High St, Inverness, IV1 1JQ, and

414 Union St, Aberdeen, AB10 1TQ

and 'The Works' do have GW titles, although not always, it seems, the same titles in every store. But sometimes you get some real gems at low prices

Hope this helps

Jim

Bought from the Works in Gloucester 100 days to victory by Saul David for 6.99 looks good

Mike

Bought from the Works in Gloucester 100 days to victory by Saul David for 6.99 looks good

Mike

This is getting irritating. The Reading branch of the Works seems to be the only one in the kingdom not to be stocking Saul's book, which I really fancy at that price! Ho hum

David

Happy New Year, everyone!!

Just back from my week Holiday at Mum and Dad's... although my mum had to come kick me out of bed around 11 twice ( :whistle: ) I managed to go through the complete "The War the infantry knew" in the week... pfou... that was a hard nut! But a very interesting read. The flight back was then right long enough for Ian Hay's "The first hundred thousand".

Then arriving home, there was a package in the post... my dear dear friend Wolfgang found me - amaaaaaazing !!! - a copy of Erwin Rommel's "Infanterie Greift an!"

MM.

My son just bought me "Through German Eyes" by Christopher Duffy, which isn`t the most German sounding name I`ve ever heard, but I have to say that it looks like being a very interesting read. It`s a study of the British army from the German perspective, particularly focusing on the battle of the Somme.

I`m on nightshift next week, so should be able to knock a hole in it.

Looking forward to having my horizons broadened.

Found in a used book store:

1914/1939 German Reflections of the Two World Wars

edited by Reinhold Grimm and Jost Hermand

University of Wisconsin Press

Published for Monatshefte Volume 12

I've just received through the post, "Accrington's Pals, The Full Story" by Andrew Jackson. Looks like a very interesting read

I'm also working my way through the massive six volume, millennium edition of "The Great War" The Illustrated History Of The First World War.

'Catastrophe - Europe Goes to War 1914 by Max HASTINGS, published in 2013; 628 pages, useful nine page bibliography, plenty of foot notes and references, ISBN 978-0-00-73985-7. Well worth reading.

Just finished a very enjoyable and enlightening re-read of 'There's a Devil in the Drum' by Cpl John Lucy of 2nd Royal Irish Rifles and straight onto re-reading of 'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Pte Frank Richards of 2nd RWF

It has been a long while since I first read these iconic books, and have learned much about the GW since, and re-reading them with that added knowledge has brought so much more out from these veteran's words: the places mean more, the dates and deeds.

Good reading all

Jim

Just finished a very enjoyable and enlightening re-read of 'There's a Devil in the Drum' by Cpl John Lucy of 2nd Royal Irish Rifles and straight onto re-reading of 'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Pte Frank Richards of 2nd RWF

It has been a long while since I first read these iconic books, and have learned much about the GW since, and re-reading them with that added knowledge has brought so much more out from these veteran's words: the places mean more, the dates and deeds.

Good reading all

Jim

Right Mr Hastings here's where I possibly get a bit of revenge for your recent recommendations that have forced me to incur expenditure roughly equivalent to the national debt of Ecuador!

In 2004 there was finally issued an annotated version of 'Old Soldiers'. I suspect you may have the yellow jacketed NMP version like I did. This new edition is brilliant because it unravels many of the (intentional) obfuscations over names, places etc and has a handsome section of pictures of many of the cast of characters from Buffalo Bill to Deadwood Dick and the Mayor of Bois Grenier. I'm afraid I think you'll just have to buy it (while Pete and I do virtual high-fives over the ether).

All jokes aside it made what was already a memorable read even more rewarding.

David

Hi David,

Revenge is yours! I have the 1983 Antony Mott published version, will definitely have to find that 2004 version!!!

Cheers Jim

Right Mr Hastings here's where I possibly get a bit of revenge for your recent recommendations that have forced me to incur expenditure roughly equivalent to the national debt of Ecuador!

In 2004 there was finally issued an annotated version of 'Old Soldiers'. I suspect you may have the yellow jacketed NMP version like I did. This new edition is brilliant because it unravels many of the (intentional) obfuscations over names, places etc and has a handsome section of pictures of many of the cast of characters from Buffalo Bill to Deadwood Dick and the Mayor of Bois Grenier. I'm afraid I think you'll just have to buy it (while Pete and I do virtual high-fives over the ether).

All jokes aside it made what was already a memorable read even more rewarding.

David

David

An elegant revenge on the Hastingsbot. I'm sure there must be a high five smiley somewhere out there on the electrical interweb.....

Pete.

The Boy Colonel - by Will Davies. Story of a young lad who landed at Gallipoli on the 26th when he was a 2nd Lieutenant. Survived the entire time there and went to France in 1916 and fairly quickly worked his way up until

he was promoted Lt Col in charge of the 13th Btln AIF in 1917 at the age of 22. Tragically he drowned in 1920 trying to rescue a young lady from the sea at Palm Beach. Doesn't seem fair that he survived the war and ended

up like that. A good read from an established author.

Tragically he drowned in 1920 trying to rescue a young lady from the sea at Palm Beach. Doesn't seem fair that he survived the war and ended

up like that.

David,

Dangerous around the beaches up on the tip of the Peninsula. The flyer Oswald Watt drowned around eighteen months later in 1921 a few kilometres south at Bilgola beach. Was told that by my Dad every time we went there and not sure how he knew.

Anyway reading an oldie, Byron Farwell's 'Mr Kipling's Army' which covers Britain's Victorian Army (a bit earlier here and there) up until the First World War where he believes that "the last remnants disappeared in mud and blood in Flanders". Beautifully illustrated with old newspaper style illustrations it has a lot of anecdotes about various aspects of army life. Very entertaining, although I'm not sure how accurate some of the anecdotes are. I'm a bit of a fan of Farwell's books, particularly his Boer War and Great War in Africa books.

Was given the audio version of Peter Hart's 1918 A Very British Victory. Have been listening to this and enjoying it a lot. Even mentions Australians!

Scott

Was given the audio version of Peter Hart's 1918 A Very British Victory. Have been listening to this and enjoying it a lot. Even mentions Australians!

It really is very good Scott, isn't it, and really compliments the book. I listen to it in the car. Also try the audio version of his 'Somme' (narrated by Tim Pigot-Smith), even better in my humble opinion. Wish there were more audio books to compliment the GW books out there

Jim

It really is very good Scott, isn't it, and really compliments the book. I listen to it in the car. Also try the audio version of his 'Somme' (narrated by Tim Pigot-Smith), even better in my humble opinion. Wish there were more audio books to compliment the GW books out there

Jim

Who narrates the 1918 book Jim?

David

Just finished 'Trial by Fire: Command and the British Expeditionary Force in 1914' by Nikolas Gardner. Now turning my attention to 'Stemming the Tide: Officers and Leadership in the British Expeditionary Force 1914' edited by Spencer Jones.

Jamie

Currently reading "18 Months on the Western Front" by Kate Finzi who was with the Red Cross in 1914-15. Haven't really enjoyed any of the diaries of nurses etc but this one is a bit different. I am about half way through and she seems to have gone from nursing to helping YMCA canteens and looking after relatives of seriously ill soldiers. She talks about a number of things I have not seen discussed elsewhere, such as the tensions between St John's Ambulance, Red Cross and Army nurses and since she was in Boulogne almost from the beginning she was able to give a first hand account of the logistics involved in getting the place up and running as a port and base, with ultimately, a dense concentration of hospitals and troop movement. The first few months of the war really seem to have been managed "by the seats of their pants". The one thing that strikes me as common to all the diaries of nurses including that of Matrons, is the amount of infighting and people falling out. There always seems to be interpersonal intrigue going on to one extent or another.

This is an E book courtesy of another Forum member.

Eighteen months in the war zone; : Finzi, Kate John : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Hazel

Just finished 'Trial by Fire: Command and the British Expeditionary Force in 1914' by Nikolas Gardner. Now turning my attention to 'Stemming the Tide: Officers and Leadership in the British Expeditionary Force 1914' edited by Spencer Jones.

Jamie

Jamie

I've read 'Stemming the tide' (which I think is excellent) so will be very interested to hear how it compares to the Gardner, of which I had not heard.

David

The Murano was at the dealers for its annual service and MOT in preparation for this year's touring yesterday, so I had a wander around the local secondhand bookshop. Picked up Achtung Panzer, like new,for £2. Bargain.

Going back for Combat Aircraft Of All Nations £7.95....................

Finished reading my two 14th Field Ambulance memoirs, having previously read about the trials and tribulations of supplying the troops during the retreat from Mons

and the early battles of 1914 it was interesting to read about the Field Ambulance's difficulties collecting and treating the wounded during the same period.

Out of the two books I found 'With French in France and Flanders' the more interesting as it was based around the authors letters home so had more detail, it was

also interesting that both authors had a lot of respect for the enemy which was lacking in the supply officers memoir I read previously, maybe because it was published

later when the stories of the German atrocities of 1914 were more widely known. Both books had interesting photographs taken by the authors on active service.

Now reading 'With my Regiment from the Aisne to La Bassee' by 'Platoon Commander' ( A.F.H Mills) 1st D.C.L.I, another 1914 memoir.

'Cheerful Sacrifice' by Jonathan Nicholls. Thanks Jonathan. Another part of the battlefields I now need to visit. Time to check the frequent flyers account…and do lotto..

'Farewell to the Horses Diary of a British Tommy 1915-19' (The History Press, Stroud, 2014) ISBN 978-0-7509-5222-4 by Robert ELVERSTONE which is well worth reading.

There is an error in the forward to the book as 2987 Pte C.C.HOYTE, whose diary this is, joined the Warwickshire Yeomanry (WkY) and not the Machine Gun Corps of the Warwickshire Yeomanry. His medal index card confirms date of entry to theatre (Egypt) as 9 December 1915. He served with 'C' Squadron WkY in Palestine and later with a WkY Hotchkiss Gun Team. His diary makes interesting reading and could have done with some footnotes to explain the significance of certain events.

He was renumbered 164684,survived the sinking of the Leasowe Castle 27 May 1918 and served with 'B' Bn. M.G.C., which in August 1918 became 100th (Warwick and South Notts Yeo.) Battalion M.G.C .on the Western Front. On page 46 he describes finding the following message inscribed on a wooden ammunition case at Oghretina 'Who ever shall first come to this spot Englishman, know that here was the telephone room connected with the guns which fired into your camps of Romani and Mohamadieh on August 4th.' We have this original message as a poignant reminder of the past in the WkY Museum.

Unfortunately the WkY Museum remains closed due to unforeseen difficulties with structural renovations leading to further delays in refurbishing our Museum building. The earliest we are likely to re-open is May 2014.

Philip

A lucky find today on ABE - Arthur Jenkin's 'A Tank Driver's Experiences'. Said to be one of the first soldier's accounts it seems to have been out of print since the early 20s. I'll report back when it arrives. I'm also expecting a copy of another rare one - Clutha Mackenzie's 'Tale of a Trooper' but that may be some time in arriving.

Just started

"Lifeline" "A British Casualty Clearing Station On The Western Front, 1918"

by Iain Gordon.

A detailed account of the 29th CCS 1918 commencing 21/3/18.

TT