Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

'Cheerful Sacrifice' by Jonathan Nicholls. Thanks Jonathan. Another part of the battlefields I now need to visit. Time to check the frequent flyers account…and do lotto..

I love that book. My fascination with Arras was fired by it and it retains an honoured place on the bookcase

David

I agree re Cheerful Sacrifice. For along time it was all there was on Arras and sparked my interest and led to me visiting ever since I put the book down.

TT

"Citizen Soldiers" By Helen B McCartney.

Story of the Territorial Forces that became the Kings Liverpool Regiment and the effects on the men who served.

A differing view ?

An excellent and perceptive read.

"Citizen Soldiers" By Helen B McCartney.

Story of the Territorial Forces that became the Kings Liverpool Regiment and the effects on the men who served.

A differing view ?

An excellent and perceptive read.

When my daughter was at Birmingham Jonathan Boff warmly recommended this book to her as her dissertation was on morale. She said it was one of the best she read in her three years there, she enthuses about it to this day

David

A perfect choice of reference for just such a subject,David.

In my head I have a song that hauntingly reminds me of what I am reading about here !.

"If you want the old Battalion,we know where they are, they're 'angin' on the old barbed wire"

A very thought provoking tome !

When my daughter was at Birmingham Jonathan Boff warmly recommended this book to her as her dissertation was on morale. She said it was one of the best she read in her three years there, she enthuses about it to this day

David

I'm not surprised David. 'Citizen Soldiers The Liverpool Territorials in The First World war' is an excellent, well written and thoroughly researched book. I refer back to it often.

Most recently I have read 'Catastrophe' and 'Public Schools and the Great War'.

But a book that is taking a long time to get through, because I keep putting it down to read WW1 books, is 'Dominion' by CJ Sansom.

The novel is based on postwar (WW2) Britain in the 1950s "after Britain had surrendered to Nazi Germany after Dunkirk".

And a good story it is too.

I am wondering, is there any similar novel set in Britain after the Great War, based on the fiction of a German victory?

Finished 'From Mons to Loos: the diary of a supply officer '.An interesting book , the author being a supply officer during the early months of the war and later being promoted

to the Staff .It makes you realise what a difficult task it was trying to keep the B.E.F supplied during the early weeks of the war and the Great Retreat, when units were mixed up

and the Germans were never far behind.

The Chapter on the Battle of La Bassee and the capture by the Germans of Neuve Chapelle I found of interest as it is not covered in that many memoirs, unlike the First Battle

of Ypres. The 1915 period is dealt with a bit more generally as the author was on the staff by that time and not directly involved, there is however a chapter by the authors brother

on the German flame thrower attack at Hooge or rather the counter attack afterwards in which he took part (he was an officer).

Although there was quite a bit of propaganda , as you would expect from a book that was published in 1916, I found it an interesting and informative memoir.

Just finished this after reading your recommendation and downloading it. As you say, his comments are very much of their time but his account is interesting and informative.

I'm now reading another from the Virtual Library, 'The Tank Corps' by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis.

cheers Martin B

Just finished 'With my Regiment: From the Aisne to La Bassee' by 'Platoon Commander'( Arthur F.H Mills), I found it a very

interesting and well written account of the authors experiences as a subaltern in the 1st D.C.L.I (5 Div).A reserve officer, he

arrives at his battalion at the tail end of the battle of the Aisne and is wounded at the Battle of La Bassee a month later.

I found it interesting that on the way up to the front the author was thinking of removing his Sam Brown belt and replacing it

with webbing as he had heard that Officers had been picked off by German snipers, he also obtained a rifle during an advance

to be less conspicuous and was advised to remove his burberry for the same reason.

As the book was written during the war place names have been omitted and regimental names changed.

Just finished 'With my Regiment: From the Aisne to La Bassee' by 'Platoon Commander'( Arthur F.H Mills), .

Part of that excellent series from Heinemann 'Soldier's Tales of the Great War' of which I think there were 13 volumes. It included the first appearance of Paul Lintier's 'My 75', another good read.

Postman Pat has just delivered this selection ;

When I Join The Ranks by "The Major "

4th Div Trench Orders

Quick Training For War by Baden Powell

An Officers Manual Western Front by Stephen Bull

Detained In England by Chapman & Moss

Less than £20 the lot from TNA

Right now writing 6 X 4 analyses...ses... how do you say that... tactics... whatever... so keeping it easy with Bénédicte de Mazery's excellent "La Vie Tranchée". It's a novel about a soldier who gets "la fine blessure" and is then put at work at the postal triage center, where he has to read and censor letters from and to the front. doing this, he tries to come to terms with his own experience at the front line. It's brilliantly written and touches a subject not so common in general WWI littérature.

Oh, and ... if you want to have a good laugh on behalf of us poor Belgians, take a look at this... this young lady was a candidate for Miss Belgium ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5K49ZLxQdk

MM.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading 'Hospital Days' by 'Platoon Commander', his follow up book which tells of his time after he was wounded

up until he receives his wound stripe. Luckily for him he narrowly escaped being captured by the Germans after his wounding

for I doubt he would have received such excellent care and treatment from them as he did from his own side.

For an account by an Officer who was wounded and captured by the Germans during the same period there is a very good account

called 'Wounded and a Prisoner of War' by M.V Hay.

Just read "Six Weeks" a bit disapointed because much of it seems to be a rehash of the bits relating to junior offficers (Subalterns and Captains) in Richard Holmes "Tommy" many quotes and anecdotes are repeated. It only cost me £2.99 so can't realy complain.

Just started 'Return of the Brute' by Liam O'Flaherty, ex Irish Guardsman shell shocked in 1917. Captivating from the very opening: planned to just look at the first couple of paragraphs when it first arrived, as was yet to finish another book, and before I knew it I'd read 20 odd pages. Without even looking into O'Flaherty's past, you can tell from the off that he was a veteran and experienced what he writes. Good copy, very cheap from Amazon, can see this being a quick but memorable read.

Good reading all

Jim

Have literally just arrived home from work to find my new book has arrived;

From Emmanuel to the Somme (The war writings of A.E.Tomlinson) by Michael Copp

Up to about three weeks ago had never heard of this book even though Tomlinson served as an officer with the 8th Battalion South Staffs on two separate occasions. I am looking forward to reading it, has anyone else read it... Thoughts ?

Dave

Just completed 'The Mons Star' by David Ascoli. An excellent read full of detail regarding the BEF and from early August until November. So much information in this book about what I was looking for, the first few months of WW1. I must have read this book twice with the amount of information to take in.

Would recommend to anyone who is interested in the BEF early days. Up until now I hadn't really realised that come the end of November virtually the initial force no longer existed.

I am now reding, same theme, 'The Old Contemptibles' by Robin Neillands, which I can say is another excellent book.

Mike

The War that Ended Peace - Margaret MacMillan

Have just been invited to a dinner March 27th in Vancouver at which she will be the guest speaker. Since such events are not common occurrences in Western Canada, i am sorry for once that i will unfortunately be in Scotland at the time. Have not read the book but may buy it, as the reviews I have read look good.

Hazel

Great book, but unless you have a lot of spare time I will look forward to your review about May!

David

Just started 'Return of the Brute' by Liam O'Flaherty, ex Irish Guardsman shell shocked in 1917. Captivating from the very opening: planned to just look at the first couple of paragraphs when it first arrived, as was yet to finish another book, and before I knew it I'd read 20 odd pages. Without even looking into O'Flaherty's past, you can tell from the off that he was a veteran and experienced what he writes. Good copy, very cheap from Amazon, can see this being a quick but memorable read.

Good reading all

Jim

I warn you now Jim, that is not an easy read. I will be very interested to hear what you think about it, especially the ending

David

Great book, but unless you have a lot of spare time I will look forward to your review about May!

David

Good one David. I have it through Audible.co.uk, downloaded to my iPad. Narration time is 32 hours, 31 minutes!

just as a bedstand book throughout the tests offensive, reading "With French at the Front". Not highly litterary, but OK...

As soon as I've finished attacking, I'll start with Liddell Hart's "History"... looking forward to it.

MM.