Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Just browsed through the magnificent "Silent Fields" by Bart Heirweg. He's an amazing photographer and his book, the result of two years of photography in Flanders Fields is amazing. you can see the pictures here: http://www.bartheirweg.com/en

and I'm quick reading Nigel Mc Crery's "All the King's Men", on the Sandringham company that is said to have "vanished" in strange clouds in Gallipoli. quite interesting reading!

MM.

I saw the TV drama which I had assumed was an adaptation with a lot of fiction thrown in but enjoyed it nonetheless. Thanks for posting on the book I will get that one as I would be interested to learn what really happened.

Just browsed through the magnificent "Silent Fields" by Bart Heirweg. He's an amazing photographer and his book, the result of two years of photography in Flanders Fields is amazing. you can see the pictures here: http://www.bartheirweg.com/en

and I'm quick reading Nigel Mc Crery's "All the King's Men", on the Sandringham company that is said to have "vanished" in strange clouds in Gallipoli. quite interesting reading!

MM.

Marilyne

If you enjoy the book then you might care to know that several years ago 'All the King's Men' was made into a TV film with David Jason. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

David

Edit: sorry Seaforths missed your post at the top of the next page!

It'a actually a "film" version of the book... with a picture of David Jason on the cover.

I only found out about the book some two weeks, when reading "myths and legends" by James Haywards. He gives it as a reference. I looked it up on internet and found a very (like in very very very) cheap copy on Amazon and bought is for a French friend of mine who once told me that as a teenager he'd been fascinated by the story of a whole Bn vanishing in a cloud. He comes over next WE for a march, so I have just a few days to read it myself... and so got a new book without breaking my promise of "no new books" as it is not for me... :thumbsup:

Just got 'The First World War' by Hew Strachan to add to the reading pile. Any good?

Don't know if it's been mentioned before but there is a ten part series on BBC 4 based on Hew's book. Crackin' series too.

He comes over next WE for a march, so I have just a few days to read it myself... and so got a new book without breaking my promise of "no new books" as it is not for me... :thumbsup:

You really are doing a Norman Schwatzkopf on that "no new books" rule of yours: going over it, around it and through it!

David

You really are doing a Norman Schwatzkopf on that "no new books" rule of yours: going over it, around it and through it!

David

Of course... I'm a LEGAD, learning to be a staff officer... that's what we do !!

Took advantage of the trip from Paris to Birmingham for the GWF conference and back to read Jeremy Paxman's "Great Britain's Great War". Perfect for several hours of train travel. Well written, so easy to read, but not too superficial.

Returned from conference with enough books to keep me going for some time.

Cheers Martin B

Like Martin I bought wisely but too well at the conference. As a consequence have just started 'Bullets and Billets' by Bruce Bairnsfather which I purchased from our esteemed moderator Mr Roberts.

I love books written and published during the war. I know they don't tend to tell the whole truth, but they certainly tell a truth and, especially when there is a hint or more of humour, make a nice change from a lot of the Great War fare.

I'm looking forward to an English version of 'The First Hundred Thousand' with added cartoons!

David

Like Martin I bought wisely but too well at the conference. As a consequence have just started 'Bullets and Billets' by Bruce Bairnsfather which I purchased from our esteemed moderator Mr Roberts.

I love books written and published during the war. I know they don't tend to tell the whole truth, but they certainly tell a truth and, especially when there is a hint or more of humour, make a nice change from a lot of the Great War fare.

I'm looking forward to an English version of 'The First Hundred Thousand' with added cartoons!

David

Hi David,

I don't know if you were one of several people who picked up my book at GWF but probably decided it was a tad too expensive? Just to say that this book contains 89,000 words of letters written from the Western Front by Fr William Doyle Chaplain to the Forces 1915-1917. Fr Doyle was one of those chaplains who accompanied his flock to front line trenches and there is humour aplenty in his letters home.

Carole

well, until next week same time, the only thing i'll be reading is my doctrine in operations, the theory, the practice, my "aide-mémoire" and the questions of the final exam "ops" starting Monday morning.

send some thoughts and positive energy this way, please!!!!

MM.

Hi David,

I don't know if you were one of several people who picked up my book at GWF but probably decided it was a tad too expensive? Just to say that this book contains 89,000 words of letters written from the Western Front by Fr William Doyle Chaplain to the Forces 1915-1917. Fr Doyle was one of those chaplains who accompanied his flock to front line trenches and there is humour aplenty in his letters home.

Carole

Carole

I didn't pick up your book but now you describe it I'm not sure whether to be glad or sad. It certainly sounds exactly the sort of book I would enjoy immensely, but equally one I would have chafed at not being able to buy having already spent all my money!!

Hopefully I'll have another chance when in funds

David

well, until next week same time, the only thing i'll be reading is my doctrine in operations, the theory, the practice, my "aide-mémoire" and the questions of the final exam "ops" starting Monday morning.

send some thoughts and positive energy this way, please!!!!

MM.

Best of fortune Marilyne; I'm sure you'll sail through and be back working your way through the interesting reading list in no time.

Pete.

Just reading "Salford Pals" by Michael Stedman, the story of the 15th,16th,19th & 20th Battalions Lancashire Fusiliers. Just read both Accrington Pals & Accrington's Pals.

Just ordered "The Knutsford Lads Who Never Came Home" by Tony Davies.

Carole

I didn't pick up your book but now you describe it I'm not sure whether to be glad or sad. It certainly sounds exactly the sort of book I would enjoy immensely, but equally one I would have chafed at not being able to buy having already spent all my money!!

Hopefully I'll have another chance when in funds

David

Well, if I can't blow my own trumpet, who can? You should be sad, very sad! But it is available from Amazon. First hand testimony written by Fr. Doyle in a most engaging style, informative and amusing by turns, and obviously uncensored - well who is going to presume to censor the letters of a Roman Catholic priest! An RC priest who insisted in accompanying his men to the Front Lines, was killed in front of the Front Line during Battle of Langemarck 16/8/17. Previously awarded MC and MID and recommended for VC after his death, but MID instead.

Just finished “Before Gallipoli: The 29th Division in Warwickshire and North Oxfordshire, December 1914 - March 1915”, by Chris Holland.

Fascinating insight into the life of the soldiers as they were billeted into this area prior to leaving for Gallipoli. Well worth a read to understand the impact they had on the area (and vice versa) and to see how the 29th Division Monument came into existence.

It'a actually a "film" version of the book... with a picture of David Jason on the cover.

I only found out about the book some two weeks, when reading "myths and legends" by James Haywards. He gives it as a reference. I looked it up on internet and found a very (like in very very very) cheap copy on Amazon and bought is for a French friend of mine who once told me that as a teenager he'd been fascinated by the story of a whole Bn vanishing in a cloud. He comes over next WE for a march, so I have just a few days to read it myself... and so got a new book without breaking my promise of "no new books" as it is not for me... :thumbsup:

It is a long time since I watched it and had thought it was televised in parts ... definitely the same thing though, with David Jason. When I return from my travels, I will try Amazon or Abe for the book. First I would like to refresh my memory by watching it again and then read the book afterwards. My daughter has a film subscription thing so I might be able to view it that way. You haven't broken your 'new books' promise - it's an old book :D

Reading 'Challenge of Battle' by Adrian Gilbert. The challenge is his differing view from that of the original BEF being that 'perfect thing apart'. I'm reading about Mons at the moment, and although he's not being rude or impolite, it's certainly his case that things weren't quite as we like to believe. Very readable, recommended.

It is a long time since I watched it and had thought it was televised in parts ... definitely the same thing though, with David Jason. When I return from my travels, I will try Amazon or Abe for the book. First I would like to refresh my memory by watching it again and then read the book afterwards. My daughter has a film subscription thing so I might be able to view it that way. You haven't broken your 'new books' promise - it's an old book :D

This might be of interest http://archive.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/2/gallipoli/pdf_files/azmak.pdf It's an article about the loss of the attack in which the Sandringham Company disappeared.

This might be of interest http://archive.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/2/gallipoli/pdf_files/azmak.pdf It's an article about the loss of the attack in which the Sandringham Company disappeared.

Thank you! I will explore that one.

. You haven't broken your 'new books' promise - it's an old book :D

that's an interesting way of interpreting the rule...

... don't tempt me, though !!

M.

. You haven't broken your 'new books' promise - it's an old book :D

You're not helping :glare:

You're not helping :glare:

I'm sorry. I'm ashamed, of course :(

So I've arranged to be able to read a few pages of one book at lunch times, currently a then contemporary memoir of Gallipoli The Secret Battle.

The evening book these days is Birds without Wings by Bernierses. I've penetrated that one sufficiently that I find myself reading about 1915 from the Tommy perspective during the day and then the Mehmet take occupies my evening. I could not have planned this but it is fun.

'Verdun, the longest battle of the Great War' by Paul Jankowski. It's quite intense, so I'm really having to concentrate, but looks to be very much worth the effort as it explodes a few myths, notably Falkenhayn's intention from the start to 'bleed France white'.

Cheers Martin B

'Verdun, the longest battle of the Great War' by Paul Jankowski. It's quite intense, so I'm really having to concentrate, but looks to be very much worth the effort as it explodes a few myths, notably Falkenhayn's intention from the start to 'bleed France white'.

Cheers Martin B

Martin

Is this a new title? There was a recent thread on Verdun books and I don't recall this one being mentioned (although I may just be misremembering!)

David