Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Martin

Is this a new title? There was a recent thread on Verdun books and I don't recall this one being mentioned (although I may just be misremembering!)

David

I added it to that thread a couple of days ago. I'll post more once I've finished the book.

Cheers Martin B

Marilyne

If you enjoy the book then you might care to know that several years ago 'All the King's Men' was made into a TV film with David Jason. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

David

However, bear in mind that your allotted span on this earth is strictly limited and there are far better things to do with what little you might have left - such as arranging your underwear drawer, alphabetically filing your nail clippings or watching the nearest painted wall for signs of solidification.

Fritz dressed as Tommy.

Currently reading "The History of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry in the Great War", a reprint by The Naval and Military Press. On page 81 in an account of the 2nd Battalion at the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge in May 1915, many of the approaching enemy are seen to be wearing British uniforms, presumably taken from the dead, this begs the questions were they armed with Lee-Enfields or Mausers? Was this a one off, or something which happened on other occasions? The Battalion continued to fire at the attackers, but the Royal Fusiliers confused by the enemy shouting, presumably in English, ceased firing for around twenty seconds or so which is described as 'twenty valuable seconds lost'.

The book was originally published in 1920 and edited from the Regimental War Diary.

Mike.

However, bear in mind that your allotted span on this earth is strictly limited and there are far better things to do with what little you might have left - such as arranging your underwear drawer, alphabetically filing your nail clippings or watching the nearest painted wall for signs of solidification.

I guess that's about as clear as it gets... thanks for the tip... I'll watch my hamster's acrobatic tricks instead of the movie!!

MM.

Fritz dressed as Tommy.

Currently reading "The History of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry in the Great War", a reprint by The Naval and Military Press. On page 81 in an account of the 2nd Battalion at the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge in May 1915, many of the approaching enemy are seen to be wearing British uniforms, presumably taken from the dead, this begs the questions were they armed with Lee-Enfields or Mausers? Was this a one off, or something which happened on other occasions?

Mike.

They were employing similar tactics right from the start.For instance, as early on as during the retreat from Mons.

Check out the Coldstream Guards famous action at Landrecies.

Finished 'A Company of Tanks' , it is a good memoir but I did not enjoy it as much as 'Rolling into Action' maybe because as a Company Commander he was not in the thick of the

action as much as Hickey. I am now going to read Watson's other WW1memoir ' Adventures of a Despatch Rider'.

I am now going to read Watson's other WW1memoir ' Adventures of a Despatch Rider'.

There's an article on this book and its author in the current, Spring, issue of Motorcycle Rider magazine. No I'd never heard of it either but I supplied a picture of the jacket so they sent me a free copy.

I agree with you, the Hickey is a fine book. Still reading H. M. Adams 'A War Diary, 1916-1918', newly acquired & a very good read.

They were employing similar tactics right from the start.For instance, as early on as during the retreat from Mons.

Check out the Coldstream Guards famous action at Landrecies.

Dressed in French uniform I believe during this action. Landrecies must be the earliest example of such a tactic being used, especially against the British. Although I expect similar tactics might have occurred prior to the 25th August 1914 between the Germans and the French.

There's an article on this book and its author in the current, Spring, issue of Motorcycle Rider magazine. No I'd never heard of it either but I supplied a picture of the jacket so they sent me a free copy.

I agree with you, the Hickey is a fine book. Still reading H. M. Adams 'A War Diary, 1916-1918', newly acquired & a very good read.

I think the uninspiring front cover cartoon of 'Adventures of a Despatch Rider' has put me off reading it till now, I see from your site that they used the same drawing for

the dust jacket , mind you the jacket cover for 'A Company of Tanks ' is also pretty boring too. I was a watcher for 'A War diary', I've decided to be good and try and limit

my book buying, although it's sometimes easier said than done!

. I was a watcher for 'A War diary', I've decided to be good and try and limit my book buying, although it's sometimes easier said than done!

How often have I tried to limit my spending, but there's always one that you just have to have. And books that scarce don't turn up on Ebay all that often. A bit expensive but when will I see another & it is an interesting account.

How often have I tried to limit my spending, but there's always one that you just have to have. And books that scarce don't turn up on Ebay all that often. A bit expensive but when will I see another & it is an interesting account.

I agree, you won't see another for a long time, worth every penny. I look at my collection sometimes and think how much it has cost me but I probably have spent as much on other

things and have nothing to show for it, whereas I shall always have my books, well almost.

I agree, you won't see another for a long time, worth every penny. I look at my collection sometimes and think how much it has cost me but I probably have spent as much on other

things and have nothing to show for it, whereas I shall always have my books, well almost.

And this years going to be very expensive for all of us collectors. There's a WW1 bookfair in August, Bloomsbury are, I believe, planing a WW1 book auction & a leading dealer is considering a 1914 catalogue. Better start saving up!

And this years going to be very expensive for all of us collectors. There's a WW1 bookfair in August, Bloomsbury are, I believe, planing a WW1 book auction & a leading dealer is considering a 1914 catalogue. Better start saving up!

Yes, it looks like my good intentions may be going out of the window, the 1914 catalogue sounds interesting.

I am currently reading World War One Aircraft Carrier Pioneer, The Story & Diaries of Jack McCleery RNAS RAF by Guy Warner and The 2nd Bedfords in France and Flanders 1914 - 1918 edited by M G Deacon which is the Battalion War Diary with supplementary material. Recent reads include 1st Befordshires Part Two: Arras to the Armistice by Steve Fuller and Flying Rebel The Story of Louis Strange by Peter Hearn.

Fiction-wise am reading The Murder of Lawrence of Arabia by Matthew Eden and have recently finished Dead Man's Land by Robert Ryan.

Still reading and enjoying 'Bullets and Billets' by Bairnsfather. And how could you not enjoy a book which includes sentences like, 'Dawn had broken - everything else left to break had been seen to by the artillery.'

David

'Bullets and Billets' by Bairnsfather.

Is this a sort of autobiography? Sounds good.

'Bullets and Billets' by Bairnsfather.

Is this a sort of autobiography? Sounds good.

Ken

It tells of his first few months in the Salient from November 1914 through to 1915 and how he came to start the drawings that became Fragments from France. It was written on the Somme in 1916 and published in the same year. It has the light touch you would expect but the realities of the war at this time are never shied away from

David

Halfway through "Enemy on the Euphrates: the British occupation of Iraq and the great Arab revolt" by Ian Rutledge (Saqi Books, 2014). Excellent account - and my goodness does it put a new light on the Mesopotamia campaign. I will write a review on my website once I have finished. But don't wait - buy it.

Would you say a this is a good entry point for the topic or is there a better starter source?

Would you say a this is a good entry point for the topic or is there a better starter source?

"When God made hell" by Charles Townshend was very good but covered the same ground as Rutledge, so I'm not sure there would be any advantage in reading it ahead of a book Chris is praising and recommending so forcefully

David

Am reading 'Retreat and Rearguard 1914' by Jerry Murland. This is the first book I have read of his and I am enjoying reading of this early time of the BEF in WW1. It is well written in its explanation of what happened at that time using short first hand accounts of the actions. Will read more of his WW1 books in the future.

Mike

Rutledge's book differs considerably from others on the Mespot campaign, in that more than half if it focuses on the post-war period. It also takes a more strategic, world view of the causes and drivers of the campaign. For an introduction to Mespot in terms of the fighting I would recommend A. J. Barker's "The neglected war" and Ron Wilcox's more recent "Battles on the Tigris".

Someone who knew I've been researching the Palestine campaign kindly bought me "Horseman pass by" by Lindsay Baly, which is about the Australian Light Horse. I've dipped in and read the Gaza chapter, before adding it to the reading pile. Looks very good and has lots of excellent maps and photos.

As we had today the last hours of lecture at staff course, I thought it suitable to celebrate with an evening in the sofa, watching "oh, what a Lovely War" for the umpthiest time...

10 months of course... and they haven't taught us a proper leapfrog ... shame, really ...

anyway... 18 days to go, with two exams.

MM.

Currently reading "Six Weeks" by John Lewis-Stempel which I am finding very informative and enjoyable - a real page turner! Not only does this book portray the life and death of the young subaltern using anecdote, diaries, letters etc (including input from J.R.R. Tolkien, Dennis Wheatley, Siegried Sassoon, Robert Graves amongst lesser known sources) but it also paints a very vivid picture of life in the trenches for the men they were responsible for. The book also provides some interesting and moving facts and figures - in particular the casualty rates of ex pupils from the public schools - incredible!

Half way through and I would strongly recommend it!

Ant