Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Hi Andy hope you are well,

So would go well with Butterworth's 'Blood and Iron' ?

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim,

Well thank you, just overworked you know how that goes. I trust that life is treating you well??

Unfortunately, or fortunately for Dan, he was still in England on 25/9/15, South Camp, Seaford. However he arrived just afterwards so is helpful in putting some life into the battalion after the action with his letters regarding life in the 9th RB until his unfortunate death. The time in the battalion up to the 25/9/15 is quite well covered what with Butterworth and the commanding officers books regarding his whole military career.

Marvelous material for myself with his time in England as well as he was 14th RB which was based in my home tome, hence I am finding out a lot about the battalion in my home town which is like gold dust to find out about.

Was very pleased to get this memorial book though, only one more to hunt down regarding RB officers and their life now.

Andy

Hi Andy

Very well thank you, and certainly know that 'juggling' feeling ... too many things, too few hours

Funnily enough I went to a lecture a couple of Saturdays ago by Luke Barber, an archaeologist who is researching Seaford Camp, some amazing photos, huge place.

What I'd give for such coverage of the Royal Sussex ...

Also funnily enough was on my way today to the Records Office to finally get that photo of Sjts Earl and Muddle of 1st RB, but they had technical failure

What is the last RB Officers book?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Last one is "Miles Christi" a little memoir of Cecil Francis Wegg-Prosser, privately published in 1925. Written or compiled by his brother John Francis Wegg-Prosser. I have been looking for a copy for a number of years now, have the usual sources looking for a copy. Tom Donovan has been a great help locating the books I would like to obtain, he found this latest one for me.

Andy

Good luck with your search Andy, hope its on your bookshelf soon

Take care of yourself, Jim

Dan, A Memorial

Memorial book printed for private circulation in 1918. 9th Rifle Brigade Officer Captain Daniel Edward Bradby, O.C. "D" Coy, killed in action on the Harp 9/4/17. Although you always know the sad ending of these memorial book they are absorbing and very useful for putting a bit of life into the battalion rather that the dry war diary excerpts.

Andy

Thanks for pointing out Dan Bradby's connection with Seaford Camp. I can see the site of the old camp from my bedroom window & I've had the Bradby for decades but can't remember actually reading it - too many books, too little time. I shall certainly do so now.

DJC,

The letters in his memorial book from 23rd September 1915 cover his time in Seaford Camp until he went overseas. Know the problem, still got a pile of books sitting there that have not been read as yet.

Not sure if you have it, Two men A Memoir" also has references to South Camp, Seaford in it.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'll check out my copy of 'Two Men' if I can find it!

'The Memoirs of Lord Ismay' is a fine book. Most of the book covers the Second war, where Ismay worked closely with Churchill, but his chapter on his GW career, in Somaliland, is very interesting. He serves with, amongst others, Carton de Wiart.

His chapter on the 'Last Days of the Raj', when he was chief of staff to Mountbatten, is very good indeed.

I have just started Lyn MacDonald, The Somme. Yes, I realise it is an oldie but it was on a friend's bookshelf, and so I have borrowed it along with Under Fire in the Dardanelles. Any comments on either welcomed!

Trajan

Currently reading The Great Government Aerodrome RFC Narborough the story of a First World War Airfield by the Narborough Airfield Research Group.

Part-way through 'Peter Jackson, Cigar Merchant' by Gilbert Frankau. Enjoying it so far, have just reached the point where the hero joins up, so no military activity just yet. Oh, and halfway through Max Hastings' 'Catastrophe' which I'm also finding a good read.

Not reading yet, but planning to ... surprise of the day, that I want to share with you ... I was picking up a few books at the Library of Defense this morning when I met a colleague and friend from an earlier posting. He works there now an was busy preparinght big WWI expo of all the books that we have on the subject. Already saw some interesting ones but what he was dealing with at that moment... they haven't been out of the racks for several years, but I'm sooooo pleased to know that I have a complete original collection of the official History of the War by Gen Edmonds waiting for me at my work place !!!!

or rather 500m from...

Some nice hours in perspective !!!!

back on topic... preparing and writing the Historical Guide to the 4 days of the Yzer and therefore reading "La troisième bataille des Flandres - Le Kemmel, 1918" by Gen ROUQUEROL (1936 edition); Larry Zuckerman's "The Rape of Belgium" and Jeff Lipkes' "Rehearsals: the German army in Belgium, August 1914".

You'll have guessed it: we'll be passing the Kemmelberg (second time this year...) and I want to instruct my marchers on the violation of Belgium's neutrality...

MM.

hmmm... that narrows down the services you could work at. ..

M.

I am reading 'The Gallant Company' by H.R Williams published by Angus & Robertson in 1933 and recently reprinted by Pen & Sword under

the title 'An Anzac on the Western Front'.

Just picked up a good clean hardback copy of '1915' by Lyn Macdonald', also a h/b copy of 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War' by Richard Van Emden'. So around a dozen Great War books in the 'to be read pile'. Having previously read and enjoyed 'Somme' and 'They called it Passchendaele' by Lyn Macdonald, am now on the lookout for '1914' by the same author, so many books so little time!

Mike.

looking out on the Mirage :ph34r:

MR, COM or the owl-family???

I'm at ELog right now, for FOSA ... and with this, the rest of this forum is lost... ha ha...

MM;

Working my way through The Edwardian Army -Recruiting, Training and Deploying the British Army 1902 -1914 Timothy Bowman and Mark Connelly. Not cheap (in fact b-expensive) but it covers a lot. Copious references back to original source material. Certainly dispels a few myths about the army that went to war in 1914

MR, COM or the owl-family???

I'm at ELog right now, for FOSA ... and with this, the rest of this forum is lost... ha ha...

MM;

owl

I've just started Max Hastings' "Catastrophe 1914", with mixed feelings after reading the thread on this book. It's the first thing I have read by him and I have a feeling that the style will grate on me long before the end, notably his sweeping statements and conclusions about what "probably" happened. If I can't finish it before it's due back at the library on Wednesday I may not bother renewing it.

Cheers Martin B

owl

OK... think I know... I'll send you a mail once I'm back in the office. And if I'm wrong, I'll just look stupid to the guy who I sent the mail to.

for all others... I can only recommend Larry Zuckerman's "The Rape of Belgium". It gives a great insight into the invasion and the occupation of Belgium from an international diplomacy and legal point of view. just mine! !!

MM;

currently not in office ('school' in Heverlee !)

Zuckerman is good (also available in Flemish) for the invasion Horne and Kramer is imo essential reading

Carl

Just finished Lucy's, There's a Devil in the Drum, for the second time, I sometimes think that the second read is the best of all.

khaki

(ps) can anyone advise me as to the meaning in the title, I may have missed it in the reading.