Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

Not sure if it is me that is dull and have only just found this out, but I visited the Ancestry Website and it seems as though the remainder of pension records are now online.

It is a superb resource for those who have not been lucky to have a relative in the A's and B's.

Here is the direct link:

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/list....=1114&path=

Let the research begin!!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes they are just had a quick look for some of mine.

Thanks for telling us.

Regards

Jill

Brilliant, think i have just found my Great Grandad!! :D

Excellent. Guess what I'm doing today.

There goes the weekend.....

Steve.

Good news, there go all the plans for the weekend.

Andy

I dont get Ancestry...

dont want to pay for something that is irrelevent as I ve done that before.

I typed in grandfathers first and last names, his year of birth , his birth location and parish and finally service number.

straight forward, should only call one person up?

firstly using exact matcch it turns up no records.

unclick the box and we get over 200 results.

different names, different birth counties, is it just a money maker that they are ,making you pay to view just in case its yours instead of pinpointing THE one you want? Surely if you put in 6 fixed variables then it should find THAT person only!!

dont think we have one of him that year that service number in the UK but from America, especially as they are probably black from my previous findings..

do you get a refund if you look at a document that does not belong to you??

Putting in too many search parameters will usually mean you get no hits. There are some errors in the transcriptions due to interpreting the writing, so the more you put in the more chance of error.

And don't forget this is a very small percentage of records. I don't know the figure but certainly less than 5%, possibly less than 1%.

Who are you looking for?

Dave,

Thanks for this :) , looks like the kids are having early nights this weekend :lol:

Tom

This is indeed good news.

Could I be the first to ask those that have an account if they can help with a Non-Commemoration I'm looking at namely this thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...9&hl=pierce

He is top of the list by putting in William Pierce Rowlands

( I have bought his DC, downloaded his MIC etc but at the moment I can't think of any other searches to justify coughing up the £6.95)

TIA

Hywyn

I may not be in a position to reply after 5pm this evening as I'm off cruising/fishing(?) the Shannon for a week.

I have downloaded the details for you.

PM me with your email and I will send it across.

Hywyn

I have looked at his record - only two pages.

It does not help as no detailed cause of discharge is listed - no mention of TB. It simply states "Discharged - permanently unfit for war service, home service or light duties".

I can email the pages to you if you wish.

What can I say? I only went to make a cuppa. Thank you both for being so ready with your help.Global assistance in action!

Pighills, I hope you don't mind that I've Pm'd Doug

Hywyn

Ta Pighills.

Terry, your post came on whilst I was typing mine. Many thanks.Can I take it now that there will be no other records at Kew that can help me?

Hywyn

Fantastic - they're much easier to search as well, because the basic details show up when you pass the mouse over the "View Record". So you don't have to click on every one and wait for it to load. Much quicker. :)

Not found me grandad yet though :( better start looking through the possible misspellings.

If I may ask, could someone look for my grandfather.

John Thomas Robbins 4/7076 Bedfordshire Regiment.

Doris

Hi Doris,

Couldn't find him.

Can you provide further details such as DOB, county of birth etc.

The notes on the data base do state:

# These records are unlikely to contain information on individuals who did not claim a pension.

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were killed in action and had no dependents (as there would have been no one to claim a pension).

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were discharged from demobilization at the end of the war and did not claim a pension (since they were generally not eligible for one).

Doug

It does seem rather busy today for some reason. :ph34r:

Steve.

Hello - Does this mean these pension records can no longer be accessed at Kew. I've been patiently waiting to visit in August - school hols. (While we are down in Hampshire child minding for working parents!) and they are on my hit-list - a possible Non-Commemoration, Tom R. Newmarch.

If so I'll just have to spend more time on my computer and have more time there for other projects.

Cheers Terry

Thank you for that welcome, wonderful news.

OO - how disappointed am I going to be? Boss-eyed by Monday.

Ooops. Broken it. :o

Steve.

Hi Doris,

Couldn't find him.

Can you provide further details such as DOB, county of birth etc.

The notes on the data base do state:

# These records are unlikely to contain information on individuals who did not claim a pension.

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were killed in action and had no dependents (as there would have been no one to claim a pension).

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were discharged from demobilization at the end of the war and did not claim a pension (since they were generally not eligible for one).

Doug

Doug

He was born June 1880 in Cottesmore, Rutland. H e was living in Hertfordshire at the time of War. He was wounded and gassed sometime. His medal card says 11/10/15 France, and then just disch. His SWB number is B29163.

Does this help?

Doris