Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Documents Archive Online

Shiny

Hi All,

I thought you might be interested in an email I received from the CWGC earlier today after requesting a copy of the original documents used by the graves registration unit:

Please note that all our archival documents for the First World War will be available on our website later this year. Unfortunately I cannot provide you with the exact date. The facility will allow you to export and print these documents.

I've been told this isn't something that has been announced to any great degree before so I hope it's of interest.

Michael

Edited by SPOF
Editedtitleto include"Online" status.

Michael,

sounds interesting. What detail do these documents contain do you know? I assume they detail more than is displayed on CWGC site already by soldier?

Thanks for letting us know by the way - I'll look forward to developments!

All the best,

Ant

Hello,

To try and answer Ant's question, I can say that in a correspondence with the CWGC in October 2013, I was told that the details they can give are:

The previous place of burial with map reference (if the soldier was previously buried elsewhere), the means of identification, and the burial/reburial date. They also added that they "...do not record cause of death for casualties we commemorate...". I found this information very useful in trying to work out the last movements of a relative of mine.

They also told me that the records should be online in May 2014, though I wonder if that has now been pushed back a bit.

Hope this helps,

Chris

It is indeed great news! Having gone down the email route with them in the past and been given incorrect information, ran around in circles for a few months and emailed them again, only to be told that they gave me the completely wrong information the first time around, it must only be a good thing. At least if you are able to access the information yourself, then any mistakes made are down to you.

Shiny, thank you so much for posting.

Yet I can not access my great grandfathers records for his work with the CWGC. They say no access yet you can access pretty much any other documeant from this time!

That seems very unfair. Are they applying a hundred year rule? Is there nothing under data access or freedom of information that you can use to release the information (if you were to provide proof that you are his relative)?

Yes I can prove several times over that I'm the direct great grand son. I only need two bits of information from the file. Everything else I know and can tell them to prove I know whats in the file! I suspect the 2nd boit of information i'm after may be what is blocking the request but is not something that could affect anyone living or dead.

Hopefully someone will know what questions to ask the CWGC to get my information.

Hi All,

Sorry I can't throw any more light on exactly what's being released, that quote is copied and pasted from the email I received and is literally all that was in it. I was asking for a copy of the paperwork they have from the graves registration unit so I'm hoping that may be what will be available.

The information Chris posted sounds interesting, not long to wait if they are running to that time table.

Michael

Chris/Micheal,

thanks for the info. Now just have to patient it seems. Should prove a very useful source.

All the best,

Ant

I looked through some of their news and press releases and couldn't see anything. You would think that they would have made some official announcement. I guess we will just have to wait and check their site regularly for news of a date.

• 3 weeks later...

> CWGC records <

The provisional release date is circa beginning of the 2nd week of July, though it may be a partial / beta release. The information will be presented in its original form and the method of accessing it is

.... the method of accessing it is

..... sorry about the interrupted flow there, but I realised I needed to contact somebody to check an item, and found that the "send a message" function in member's profiles has been turned off - as has the personal messenger in my account. I'll keep looking; in the meantime bear with me with the Commission info.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I wondered what had happened. Frogsmile seemed to have had problems earlier (as he said in another thread). I've had slow running and dropping out when I've hit 'post', I've had to sign back in again to do anything else.

Thanks Tom,

I wondered what had happened. Frogsmile seemed to have had problems earlier (as he said in another thread). I've had slow running and dropping out when I've hit 'post', I've had to sign back in again to do anything else.

Seaforths - the situation with the Commission's burial / reinterment records now seems to be pretty clear-cut; all that remains is a definite statement ref the release date.

I don't know if the cause of Frogsmile's difficulties is the same as my own, but bear in mind what George Bernard Shaw once said, - “All censorships exist to prevent anyone from challenging current conceptions and existing institutions. All progress is initiated by challenging current conceptions, and executed by supplanting existing institutions. Consequently, the first condition of progress is the removal of censorship.”

Tom

Thanks Tom. I understand your last in it's entirety :thumbsup:

I will check their homepage and news links as soon as I get chance this evening.

• 1 month later...

I've just had a quick check of the CWGC website, no news as yet but as Tom said 2nd week of July earlier in the thread so it might be a bit soon yet.

I thought there might have been something about the impending release in their news page by now though.

Edited by Shiny

I've just had a quick check of the CWGC website, no news as yet but as Tom said 2nd week of July earlier in the thread so it might be a bit soon yet.

I thought there might have been something about the impending release in their news page by now though.

That is quite a strange coincidence! I hadn't checked for a while so I went onto CWGC this morning. I have something for you on Fred but I won't get onto my PC until this evening...

Sounds intriguing!

I'm doing a display about him and the Scouts WW1 role on Saturday on North Shields library, I've added it to the event diary on the forum because the WW1 project are launching their database to the public. There's a lot of information they have found out about people on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good, there a few men I'd like to look at and see what the CWGC hold.

Craig

Thanks for the update David.

I can see melt down occurring on launch - just from Forum members.

Phil

Thanks for the update David.

I can see melt down occurring on launch - just from Forum members.

Phil

We'd best set up a rota, I hope the CWGC are ready.

Craig

... I can see melt down occurring on launch - just from Forum members.

... We'd best set up a rota, I hope the CWGC are ready.

Many fingers (and toes) are crossed. Its going to be interesting to see what gems of information come out of this, particularly the exhumation reports.

Tom

I just hope everything works better than the recent changes at Ancestry and Findmypast........

I've got to say that I'm actually a fan of some of the changes.

Craig