Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Landwehr Rekrut-Depots

wyliecoyote

Previous post :

first cross used by Landsturm

Cnock

Oops, there is no connection...sorry for that. :blush: I was reading Ers. Btl. 28, which made perfect sence with IR 159, vice 82. I was just seeing what my brain said made sense.

Brig.-Ers.-Btl. 82 is associated with IR 171. So, sorry, I don't see the connection.

I know we went through this with the parade photo, but George, are you sure the shoulder boards read 159? I can't see it in the photos. I'm taking it that's what your basing the connection on and also the connection to the group photo...because Ers.-Btl. 82 and IR 159 just don't add up.

Paul

Paul

The shoulderboards are 159, I can blow up the original photo if you like and zoom in on one?

Cnock

Nice photos! The landwehr Kreuz is great, I know you wish it was still attached to the wachstuchmutze, no?!

In each Army Corps District series of Landsturm infantry battalions were formed. Among them a certain number of Landsturm Infantry Ersatz Battalions.

These units serve as depot battalions, there is 1 Landsturm depot (Ersatz) battalion for every 4 Landsturm infantry battalions.

To these depot battalions were sent all untrained Landturm men and those unfit for service at the front.

When they are considered fit for more active work, they are drafted to Landsturm infantry battalions.

Very good explanation, thanks, great info. I love this forum!

Hello,

There is NO conncection between Brigade Ersatz Batallion 82 and Infantry Rgt 159.

Brigade Ersatz Bataillone (B.E.B.) nrs 58, 84 and 82 formed Ersatz Infantry Rgt nr. 29

attention : not all Infantry Brigades created Brigade Erstaz Bataillone.

Landwehr Brigade Ersatz Bataillone (L.B.E.B.) :

21 created :

nrs. 9 to 11, 13,14, 21, 25 to 27, 29, 30, 33, 37, 38, 41-44, 47, 48 (Saxon) and 55.

Regards,

Cnock

wyliecoyote,

thanks, and yes I wished it was still attached to the cap.

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

There is NO conncection between Brigade Ersatz Batallion 82 and Infantry Rgt 159.

Brigade Ersatz Bataillone (B.E.B.) nrs 58, 84 and 82 formed Ersatz Infantry Rgt nr. 29

attention : not all Infantry Brigades created Brigade Erstaz Bataillone.

Landwehr Brigade Ersatz Bataillone (L.B.E.B.) :

21 created :

nrs. 9 to 11, 13,14, 21, 25 to 27, 29, 30, 33, 37, 38, 41-44, 47, 48 (Saxon) and 55.

Regards,

Cnock

Yep, I don't see the connection either.

George, I believe you that the boards read 159. What is the connection between shoulder boards in one picture and the second group photo that identifies Ers. Batl. 82? That's what I don't understand. Since there is no connection (this is a bit different than the parade photo where everything at least made a little sense until all the parts fell beautifully into place) I'm at a loss with this equation.

Paul

Bavarian Landwehr Infantry Regiment nr.2

post card send by 1st Bataillon Bavarian Landwehr Infantry Rgt ( 6th Landwehr Division)

post-7723-1208025308.jpg

post-7723-1208025415.jpg

Landwehr Infantry RGt nr. 30

Uit seal Prussian Landwehr Inf. Rgt nr.30

post-7723-1208025623.jpg

post-7723-1208025682.jpg

Landwehr Infantry Rgt nr. 27 , 16th Armee Korps

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1208025790.jpg

Found this in Hartwig Busche:

Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 159

Mülheim/Ruhr-1. Ers.-Btl.-Zwei Komp. traten zum Brig.-Ers.-Btl.Nr. 28., zwei Kp. zum R.I.R. 219.

Mülheim/Ruhr-2. Ers.-Btl.

Hmmmmmmmmm! Brigade Ersatz Btln. This is where I get shakey. Is it the same as a Reserve Ersatz Btln.?

Hi,

I don't think it is the same.

Brigade Ersatz Bns were raised by the first line regiments.

Reserve Ersatz Bns were formed in the depots of the Reserve regiments.

...and Ersatz-Reserve was something else again.

Regards,

CNOCK

eb159ir4008cl8.jpg

I was looking at this blow-up and I just noticed the collar flash. Both have three marks at the center of each flash, like they had the identical collar dogs. Perhaps this fellow is Landsturm after all.

What is the connection between shoulder boards in one picture and the second group photo that identifies Ers. Batl. 82? That's what I don't understand.

I was gone for a couple days -- very very sorry -- seems like I confused the mix. There is no connection between the two pictures. The group picture was simply put in to show that there were other units that actually wore shakos. Also that there were a Landsturm soldiers in other units. No direct connection.

Seems to me that this guy could be a Landsturm filler. Let me get organized and I will review the other research through what little I know.

yes they were in Belgium as part of the 14th reserve division. They entered Belgium on 16 August and formed part of the second Army.

Then the chap with the 159th I.R. shoulderboards is making some sense for me now. When the Belgian Armee stood & fought, it threw the whole German Offensive awry, causing them to throw the Landsturm Inf. Batlns. and also mixed Landwehr/Landsturm units as frontline troops facing the Belgian Army. It was even reported from contemporary sources that many Landsturm were still wearing dunkelblau uniforms at the front. Here we have a Landsturm man being used as a replacement for a regular Army Regt. No wonder he looks so happy. Many in the Landsturm were disgruntled over being sent outside of Germany as they believed in 1914 that the Landsturm was raised strictly for Homeland defense. They got a rude awakening early on.

Hi,

as I said before : this guy is Landsturm.

The holes in his collar flash are the best indications!

Regards,

Cnock

Other Landsturm bataillon (Soest) in Belgium in 1914.

Cnock

post-7723-1208190174.jpg

Some of you might have seen this one in another thread, I am adding here too.

Man of the 4th Kompanie of Landsturm Infantrie Btl. I Bochum, ( VII.43), VIIIth Korporalschaft, Fleurus, Belgium, 8 Sept 1914.

He wears shoulderboards of L.I.R. 56, according to Hartwig Busche, was set up in Beverloo, Belgium, from active servicable, young Landsturm men of the VIITH Armee Korps.

The Ist battalion was formed from the Landsturm Inf. Btn. Duesseldorf (VII. 48) and Landsturm Inf. Btn. Mülheim Ruhr (VII. 59).

The IInd battalion from the Landsturm Inf. Btn. Detmold/Krefeld (VII. 96).

The IIIrd battalion was formed from the Landsturm Inf. Btn. Dortmund (VII. 47) and Landsturm Inf. Btn. Gelsenkirchen (VII. 51).

Somehow Landsturm Infantrie Btl. I Bochum, ( VII.43) made it's way into the mix also.

triviahintpr5.jpg

I was gone for a couple days -- very very sorry -- seems like I confused the mix. There is no connection between the two pictures. The group picture was simply put in to show that there were other units that actually wore shakos. Also that there were a Landsturm soldiers in other units. No direct connection.

Seems to me that this guy could be a Landsturm filler. Let me get organized and I will review the other research through what little I know.

Ach so...ok that makes me feel a bit better.

On the theory of a Landstrum filler. I took a gander through the losses of IR 159 today, and I noticed a good many men with the title Wehrmann and Landstrummann served in the Regiment, in all companies. So, it would seem that any of the categories could end up serving in a regular unit.

Paul

While we are marking time here, thought I'd add another pick that contributed to the sparks flying out of my ears.

Ersatz Btn. Landwehr Infantrie Regt 84, Schleswig, 1 Dec. 1915. Photo titled "Zur Erinnerung an mein Rekrutenzeit" on the reverse(In Remembrance of my Recruit Time). Men wearing M95 pickelhauben with Landwehr Cross Wappen, and assortment of filz pickelhauben with & without visor trim. Eight out of 11 are armed with Gew 88's, three with IG 71's, uniform mix of M95 waffenrock & 1907/10 or M1913 feldrocks, and one Litewka. All but one M95 ammo pouch are M1909's.

el84schleswig1915080807hy1.jpg

George,

What is the remaining unanswered question? There's so much here that looking back I'm not sure what's left. It seems that any category of man could serve with an active regiment, born out in the case of IR 159 itself. Was there another question?

Paul

Paul

I was hoping I would be able to dig up some reference material more definitive, so far my research has gotten me Zip!

Geo