Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Just started Haig's Diaries, and am impressed by his eloquence on paper. New hardback, found it for £5 in Borders.

Mark,

IMO a much better read is the 'Prepatory years' which gives a very good impression of the younger Haig, learning, growing and developing the 'skills' that he had by 1914. I am firm of the opinion that what they (the Generals ) did before 1914 is almost more significant than what they did during the Great war. it sets their mind set and dictates how they adapted to 1914-18.

regards

Arm

Ian, I agree - really impressed with it so far. To be honest, the only other book of his I've read is "Tarkar the Otter" when I was little!

cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
What are you reading (WWI related) and would you recommend it?

Would recommend so many but here are a few:

A Sergeant-Majors War Ernest Shephard

The Journal of Private Fraser

Ghosts have warm hands Will R Bird

Other Ranks W V Tilsley

OK, a bit dry and not exactly a bedtime read, but I am enjoying flicking through the HMSO books such as Infantry Training and a newly acquired copy of Musketry Regulations.

I'm almost 1/4 way through Les Carlyon's The Great War and finding it hard to put down.

Just started 'Most Unfavourable Ground' by Forum pal Niall Cherry. I am bound to recommend it.

cheers Martin B

'Schlump' by an anonymous German author. It is the account (?semi-biographical) of a young man who enlists in the German army in 1915, having lied about his age. His enthusiasm to enlist was sparked by watching the first troops march off to war in August 1914. After training, the main character (who was nick-named 'Schlump', meaning 'dull, slow or sloppy', at school) is posted behind the lines with responsibility for the administration of a village and its surrounding area. This aspect of the book is extremely interesting as it is rare to find such accounts in English. Schlump was then posted to front line, initially to the Somme in its latter stages. There are vivid accounts of the fighting. Later in the war, Schlump was again wounded, this time in the shoulder. His convalesence was slow and incomplete, with the affected arm being rendered almost useless. He was again posted to an administrative position, with responsibility for censoring mail. From this point on, the book provides a series of vivid descriptions of the disintegration in morale, contrasted with the easy life of some administrators. The last days of the war and then the demobilization are also covered in some detail. All up, a fascinating book that deals with some very interesting aspects from a German perspective, given that many personal accounts stop when the author was wounded.

Robert

Just a heads up for any Northern Ireland Pals.

In town today, I called into "Bargain Books". They have a selection of Great War related reading material.

I saw stuff about The Somme £5, Great War Generals £5, Christams Truce £2, Scapa Flow

I picked up a copy of Max Athurs's "Last Post: The final word from our First World War Soldiers"

A hardback in absolute mint condition for £3.

"The day we won the war: Amiens August 1918" by Charles Messenger

"Enduring the Great War: Combat, Morale and Collapse in the German and British Armies, 1914–1918" by Alexander Watson.

Very kindly acquired on my behalf by Wolverhampton Library: it will be available on the shelves in a few weeks' time for other Pals to read.

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/cata...n=9780521881012

If Germany Attacks by Captain G.C. Wynne.

Andy

"Everyone a Hero" by Godfrey Thomas MA.......about the boys of Brentwood School who made the supreme sacrifice in conflicts since 1914.....up to and including 2008. As yet, thanksfully none of the girls, but how long will it be before one of them is added to the list.

A good read, especially if you are an Old Brentwood!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo

During this weeks Jury Service I've been reading the free

flowing "When The Whistle Blows" by forumite AGWR and Ian Kemp.

Non stop reading from 10am - 3pm today, of a wonderfully

detailed book with some fantastic archive and personal

collection photographs of 17th Middlesex "Footballers".

Should be of interest to any 13th Essex Pals, as it also

goes into great detail about ops by 6th Brigade, 2nd Div

Kind regards all

I have just started "Lines of Fire: Women Writers of World War I" anthologized by Margaret Randolph Higonnet -- a completely different take on the conflict which I hope will broaden my outlook

cheers Martin B

Gallipoli by L A Carlyon. Fairly critical book by an Australian author, but if his facts are right then he's right to be. First book I have read on the subject so will seek another for balance.

Gunner Bailey

Must be a Gallipoli resurgence going on. I was looking for info on the Suvla Bay landings at my local library and had a look through Alan Moorehead's Gallipoli (one of the later illustrated versions with additional info by Ann Moyal) at the local library.

One of those books I've seen but walked straight past over the years. What a gem! I've been dipping in and out of it for a few weeks now and ended up buying a copy.

Another of those books written by an ex-newspaper man! Why do they write so well?

A good christmas to all.

Scott.

In view of a new thread on Pershing - I'm rereading Persico's 11Month.... Just finished Neil Hanson's Forgotten Soldier

I've just been reading selections from the 8th Division History, a rare treat as it's principally the annotations added by an old soldier of the 2nd Berks and the accompanying sections of text that I've read through and compared. That apart I've taken a break from the Great War and am tackling Anthony Beevor's volumes on the Spanish Civil War and Stalingrad just to generate a different perspective.

"Ghosts have warm hands" by Will R Bird (CEF Books) - as reviewed elsewhere - a wonderfully evocative & personal account of life in the trenches

Brian

"Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You" by John Hamilton - concerning the Australian Light Horse at the Nek, Gallipoli - very enjoyable so far

As we speak I am reading "In The Footsteps Of Private Lynch", the follow-up

to "Somme Mud"

Peter

I must get it. I thought the Somme Mud book was excellent.

Gunner Bailey