Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

I have just finished "Bean's Galipolli".....the diary kept by Australia's official journalist there, and author of the enormous Official History.

It wasn't until I read the introduction that I realised that he was a fellow Old Brentwood. It is a cracking good read. written by a jouralist who was there with the men in the trenches, eating what they ate, and even getting wounded (the Turkish bullet in his leg remained there).

I can recommend it.

Bruce

Peter Hart 1918 A Very British Victory- Brilliant. Fascinating insight into soldiers experiences

Two audiobooks which are free downloads through Libravox

"In the Field" Dupont - account of a French cavalry officer

"Over the Top" Empey - An American volunteer to the British Army -very good

Finally managed to buy a second hand copy of Paul Reed's "Walking the Somme"

Regards Glen

Hi There

I'm reading Lyn Macdonald's 1914, whic is brilliant. The descriptions of Mons, Cateau etc are excellent. Lots of first hand accounts and also prospectives form civilians.

Tommy by Richard Holmes gives a wide ranging view of the conditions and experiences of the men. Again a very important book.

Simpson's History of the Lincolnshire Regiment - invaluable work taken from dispatches, war diaries and first hand accounts.

Picked up a 1929 Edition of "Goodbye to All That" Robert Graves for 8 quid yesterday and have not been able to put it down yet.

I`m currently reading "The War The Infantry Knew 1914-1919"

by Capt J.C. Dunn. I can remember this book on my dads bookshelf for

years when I was a kid. Wish I`d picked it up sooner. Next book to

read "A Town For 4 Winters" Great War camps on Cannock chase.

^^^

I've got "The War The Infantry Knew 1914-1918" in my Amazon cart ready to order. I'm going to assume you would reccomend it as a good read? i was hesitant because i'm more interested in reading a personal view of the war rather then a battalion but i've heard nothing but good things.

I'm Currently reading Veterans.

9781844153190.jpg

Currently reading Magnificent But not War: The Second Battle of Ypres 1915 by John Dixon. An excellent, almost hour by hour, account of a strangley overlooked battle. Sparked by my recent trip to the Salient.

Jon

Recently finished 'Band of Brigands' by Christy Campbell. A really good read, and an excellent basis for getting into Tank Corps history of the war. Mr Campbell's journalistic background is very obvious, but that's what makes the book so readable. It puts me in mind of another old favourite of mine 'War Underground' by Alexander Barrie, who also came from a journalistic background. I'll probably follow up with Bryn's book on Cambrai, having enjoyed a presentation by the man himself last evening (Hallo to any Friends of the Lincoln Tank, who might be on the Forum).

At the moment I am reading

The Complete Memoirs Of George Sherston by (Siegfried Sassoon)

The next book on the list is The First Seven Divisions by (Lord Ernest Hamilton)

Followed by The Story Of The 55th Division 1916-1919 by (Rev.J.O. Coop,Senior Chaplain Of The Division)

Mark

Just re-reading my first edition The Wet Flanders Plain by Henry Williamson, a masterpiece of prose.

The next book on the list is The First Seven Divisions by (Lord Ernest Hamilton)

Lt-General snow did not like this book when he read a copy of it. He was of the opinion that it did not accurately reflect what happened, at least to 4th Division. He was critical that it did not mention the presence of the Independent 19th brigade!

I would be interested to see if those comments stand up?

I have a copy, but it is well to the bottom of the pile to read!

Regards

Arm

Arm, it is certainly not the definitive account of the divisions in question! I found it interesting as one man's view.

Robert

Just finished Tommy last night, Somme Mud and The Roses of No-Man's Land are coming in the mail.

Just got Tommy by Richard Holmes, and Mud, Blood and Poppycock by Gordon Corrigan, to take into hospital with me.

"Forgotten Scottish Voices From The Great War" : Derek Young: Tempus: pub 2005

Prior to going to the Somme in August I'm reading In the Footsteps of Private Lynch- as unputdownable as Somme Mud ( actually maybe not -taken 2 days rather than 1!)

^ I'm jealous! I'm reading Somme Mud now and it is fantastic!

Recently finished 'Goodbye to all That' which apparently caused a bit of a stir when the first edition was published. I believe that the author Robert Graves toned down the second edition. Enjoyed the read. What struck me was the callous attitudes of some of the officers that Graves describes and also some of his own prejudices. I guess that it was a book of its time and as such gives an insight into some of the prevailing social attitudes.

Read Twelve days on the Somme by Sidney Rogerson over the weekend.

No massed charges over the top. No fixed bayonet heroics.

Just a brutally honest personal account of survival during the last days of the battle of the Somme.

This short book will evoke every human emotion in you.

Highly recommended.

Currently reading the biography 'Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Champion of Freedom' by Conrad Black. Has extensive background information of the US political scene prior to, during and after the war and extensive coverage of Woodrow Wilson’s decision not to bring America into the League of Nations and the subsequent consequences ref the next war. Some 1100 pages so a long slog but well worthwhile, .highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

"Storm of Steel" by Ernst Jünger, at last

excellent descriptive writing but not sure I can empathise with his mindset

cheers Martin B